All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fleet Farm deer snack apple trees

They are currently $24.99 at FF in Winona MN (April 19,2021).

The only apple trees at the Alexandria MN Fleet FArm were $69.99
Look for them to be just outside of the nursery plant area... usually by the front doors but sometimes off to the sides in big cardboard half boxes... I have never seen them with the potted apple trees... for some reason they want you to see them as an impulse buy - apart from the other trees they have... but at the Menomonie store they were way off to the side yet. One could easily miss them. I have bought them before and they are nice young trees essentially bare root trees. You can easily nip off a few branches on them and graft them on to surviving root stocks from failed grafts or even just frankenstein some trees.

Every new young tree you buy is an excellent source of new scion to make more if you have a place to graft them on to. Its good to cut them back a bit too.

Winona store: outside by the front doors

I wish our local store would carry those..some sweet varieties on that list.

I bought a Red Barron .... because Im weak...

I bought a Whitney for $19.99 last weekend. Maybe this weekend I’ll buy a couple more. Just have to hide them from the wife somehow

I bought a Red Barron .... because Im weak...

One of my oldest trees is a Red Baron. It is severely damaged by sunscauld. That happened before I understood what sunscauld is and how it works.

The tree still produces fruit every other year on the half of the tree that is left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What varieties are available at Fleet this year?

Are any trees marked as to rootstock?

One of my oldest trees is a Red Baron. It is severely damaged by sunscauld. That happened before I understood what sunscauld is and how it works.

The tree still produces fruit every other year on the half of the tree that is left.

I will add that CAR has not been a problem with Red Baron.

Semi dwarf root stock 12-20' , bare root trees bagged in damp sawdust with moderately nice typical hacked bare roots... I went with the graft union out out of the ground - thought about burying it but where I put it, it can be a smaller tree.... and I didnt even take scion off of it - I must be slipping. BNI must be Baileys Nurseries Inc. I am guessing as the source. They are all like, chestnut, norland, freedom, liberty, redbarron - sometimes dolgo. Pretty much all hardy disease resistant good little trees for an ok price.... many are whips but some have some branching. The Branching is all to low but its a good source for scion and I will typically cut them back/top each year so. 3-4 foot out of the ground after planting kind of trees.

Attachments

• IMG_9024.jpg
    IMG_9024.jpg
    300.9 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

I know we are about in the same zones. I use to be zone 3, then they made me zone 3b, but have you had problems with trees for zone 4 in your area? I have a few here, but they are about 4-5 years old, but they did survive the cold -40 stretch we had a couple years ago. So I am hoping they will hang around for awhile.