Fence project

Bet those guns were stolen.

Great idea on the water gaps. I have to do something like that on my neighbors/my place.
I don’t have cows but theirs sure do like one of my bean plots and they always get through the water gap…….

Bill
I cover an area from KC to Springfield Mo down into NE Oklahoma for work if you need a bit of that cable I have plenty to spare. Just let me know if want some. I used a 770lb snap on one end of the cable so if huge deluge happens carrying washed out trees one end just breaks and doesn’t trash my bracing, I’m just replacing some cheap cattle panels.

We use a cable ran high with barbed wire fence below it. The barbed wire has a break away in the center so when brush floats through both sides swing open and let it through. Usually isn't much hung up in it.

The one gap we have with panels seems to snag a lot of stuff in it. Doesn't rip out as easily but is more of a mess when it does.

Hell of a gear!

Yes the big one is 4’ diameter

Old hydropowered plant or something?

Idk some old gal was selling off her late husbands treasures in preparation of selling their home. I absolutely couldn’t resist that large gear so I loaded the tractor on the trailer and drove an hour to give a $150 for it load it up and leave. The small one we found this morning out on the old farm we where looking for some pipe to rap the cam shaft of the large gear so we could weld to it my oldest boy saw just a couple inches of the corner sticking out of the dirt. He dug it out of the ground and we added it to the project. We have a lot of piles of old stuff laying around on that farm and this is after have multiple semi loads of scrap iron hauled away a few years ago.

There is something SO satisfying about a good looking fence! :)

I started bolting the wheels on my gates to help keep them from sagging it really is nice.Not many things better than a finished pipe fence

My gates don’t sag but they are 2” pipe welded with a cross brace the hinges are 6” long hinge pipe slipped over the 2” and 1/2” steel welded between the hing pipe and fence post. My kids ride them with regularity when opening and closing them. When you’re in and out of gates a lot having heavy duty gates is a must at least in my opinion. For general duty gates we use 1 1/4” cross pipe and angle braces for working pens the entire gate will be 2” pipe.

8D4181EC-93AA-4D71-81D7-65236BF7A9AA.jpeg

Stretched the last little run of wire for this project today about 700’. Feels really good to be done with it now I can fart around at a bit slower pace on other projects on that new farm.

Looks good

What is your cost per foot to put in a fence like this for cattle?

Materials and equipment rental for 1/2 mile ran $5500 clearing could be about that much or more depending on how much clearing needs done. I own my crawler so that cost isn’t one I deal with but the last time we hired it done it was $2500 for a days work. I would say a decent rule of thumb is $10k-$20k per half mile if hiring it all done. But for materials about $2 per foot.

We had 1/4 mile done a few months ago. Pretty straight forward with H braces on each end and 20 or so 2-3/8” line posts in addition to the T posts. $6300. No clearing trees or anything. Just the fence. NC Kansas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started clearing another 1/4 mile section of old fence this one is a cross fence that keeps cattle out of a small hay meadow.

My middle boy and I where working on the new fence project this evening and I had pushed out a couple trees right at the end of the fence it wiped out about 16’ of fence. I would have left that for the next section to be replaced but oh well not a big deal until it began pouring down rain now we have a major hole in the fence and we are soaked running around like fools trying to get the fence patched up. 10% chance of rain my ass

Drove pipe Saturday for 3/4 mile new fence on the old farm. Built four 16’ pipe pasture gates in last three evenings in the shop for this next little fencing project. Streamlined our gate production some we had been using a pipe cut and welded into each gate diagonally very effective to prevent any sagging but very slow to produce on these gates we welded 1/4”x1” bar stock from top hinge corner to bottom swing corner on one side and a vertical strap on the other side in the center of the gate. Doing it this way we can whip out a very nice pasture quality gate in 3 hours versus 4-5 hours each cutting and coping all pipe joints.