Fence project

b116757

5 year old buck +
Had a guy out today to drive pipe for the new north line and an entrance gate on the new farm. We drove in about 30 pipes in 3 hours now the welding starts. We usually drill and concrete posts in but this guy said he could drive pipe into our broken limestone around here and he did do a pretty good job of it. I may never go back to drilling post’s again. Most posts I cut at 9’ but I had several 12’ posts I used for gates, corners and a water gap I’ll be dealing with.

Scored this roll of 1/2 guy wire for my water gaps I gave $500 for it got home and looked it over pretty well I’m pretty sure there is 2000-3000’ on the roll.
2CBEA00B-E1FF-43E1-B01F-0FF155865B88.jpeg

Hung the new entrance gate still quite a bit of welding to add the horizontal pipe between all the posts. But I was getting really tired of dragging the original gate across the ground every time we where out there working so we hung the new gate.
A6C0079F-AA78-4AF2-AC2F-167A0C0E6A73.jpeg

Shaping up to be a nice fence!

Very nice!
I like the big saw blade in center of gate too, are you going to paint it or write No Trespassing on it? Or is it just decorative.

Very nice!
I like the big saw blade in center of gate too, are you going to paint it or write No Trespassing on it? Or is it just decorative.
Just decorative I really wish I had a 48” one

I have been seeing alot of guys just use a 10 foot gate and chain to a cable going across the top of the water gap,a couple pieces of pipe on side post so cattle can't push gate out and water can push downstream

I’m using the cheap cattle panels I’ll hang them from the cable and attach logs or sheets of tin to them so the water raises them up the logs give enough weight they return to vertical better than tin alone. I picked up ten 16’ cattle panels for the north water gap. We strung up 100’ of 1/2” guy wire Friday evening and I’ll have another 48’ piece strung up possibly tomorrow. This isn’t a small water gap area I’m dealing with I would be tickled to only need a 10’ gate. There is a steep 40’ bank on the west of the creek and the east bank gradually slopes upwards to the east. I could see that during high water about 50’ or so of the east bank goes under water. Where the creek leaves my property I’ll be installing a second one latter on down the road, the existing one at that location hopefully will work until I have time to devote to building a better one.

Didn’t get the tin or logs attached to them yet.
42BC2367-D909-461D-9E5F-7BF85EB19524.jpeg

Attachments

• 3272D001-4DFB-4ED6-9ED4-322609F9B127.jpeg
    3272D001-4DFB-4ED6-9ED4-322609F9B127.jpeg
    732.5 KB · Views: 97
Water gap looks great!
May have missed this somewhere along the forum but are you running cattle? And the lay of the land looks familiar, what part of the country are you in?

Water gap looks great!
May have missed this somewhere along the forum but are you running cattle? And the lay of the land looks familiar, what part of the country are you in?
Looks like home doesnt it? LOL
Kansas and Nebraska have a lot of country that looks like that.

Southeast Kansas and yes I will be leasing this new 150 acre farm out for cattle minus a small very productive 5 acre hay meadow which will stay hay ground. On the other farm I lease out 320 acres for cattle pasture, 150 acres for row crop and 70 acres for native grass hay. I could make more $$ ripping up the native grass for row crop but it would hurt my soul to loose it.

Southeast Kansas and yes I will be leasing this new 150 acre farm out for cattle minus a small very productive 5 acre hay meadow which will stay hay ground. On the other farm I lease out 320 acres for cattle pasture, 150 acres for row crop and 70 acres for native grass hay. I could make more $$ ripping up the native grass for row crop but it would hurt my soul to loose it.
I bet I've driven somewhat close to your place a time or two. I'm south east of Wichita, at the bottom of the flint hills.

Could be this farm is right on US 69 north of Fort Scott the other one is just a few miles west of it.

Not going to believe this I was working over on the new farm this evening trimming some cedar trees that are next to the driveway and found two shotguns laying underneath one of the cedar trees!!!

Attachments

• B5686C66-1740-467B-B5F2-835477950A3A.jpeg
    B5686C66-1740-467B-B5F2-835477950A3A.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 8D5D837C-A3DB-409B-BD4C-62919D0DEE70.jpeg
    8D5D837C-A3DB-409B-BD4C-62919D0DEE70.jpeg
    620.5 KB · Views: 72
Now that is cool! Can't help but wonder what the story is on them?

Yes got to be a crazy story that goes along with that find. I would be interested to know what it is myself. The guy that was living on the place was arrested for growing weed thats how the property was placed on the market it was a drug seizure forced government sale.

I irony of so many states legalizing weed lately has to be a sore spot with that guy.

If you want to clean up those guns use electrolysis. Its very easy, all you need is a water tank, a DC power supply, some wash soda, and a piece of donor steel to destroy.
The rust will disolve and it will leave whatever blueing is still there.

I got a 97 winchester shotgun that spent decades behind the door of a farm house. It had a lot of rust on it, and electrolosys cleaned it up very quick and easy.

My boy has them torn apart in the garage he is fooling with them. I have some acid out there that only eats the rust also he can use. I truly don’t care about them he can have his fun and if he manages to get somewhere great or they go on the scrap pile. I did consider just putting a thick coat of two part epoxy on them and hanging them from the gate.