Elderberry seedlings/cuttings this year? York variety?

NorthPotter

5 year old buck +
I did not get around to ordering my seedlings until early February this year. Because of my delay I missed the window for Elderberry. MDC is sold out, NY & WVA have zero to offer, VA is sold out, PA has zero to offer (in fact PA has fallen off the grid this year with only 4 seedling choices total,...no idea what happened). Don't laugh too hard but where are you all buying your reasonable cost Sambucus canadensis cuttings/seedlings this year? I am in central PA so I prefer to purchase locally/semi-local if possible.

Secondarily, I would like to try some "york" variety. I wonder if the York berries are actually larger than my various tiny wild type berries. Where has anyone purchased any reasonable cost York seedlings/cuttings and do you think they are better than your local wild type?

Last edited:
Can’t answer much but do you have any Elderberries on or near your place now?

They grow from live stake cuttings, you just need a rooting hormone and poke them in the ground (with weed control)
I put elderberry cuttings in one November after they went dormant and they grew the next spring so in my 1 experience they seem pretty hardy.

Can’t answer much but do you have any Elderberries on or near your place now?

They grow from live stake cuttings, you just need a rooting hormone and poke them in the ground (with weed control)
I put elderberry cuttings in one November after they went dormant and they grew the next spring so in my 1 experience they seem pretty hardy.

Thx Bill. I do have a few and starting from existing cuttings is an option. Every cutting that grew would be a clone of its parent which would be unpreferrrable but it is a fun option.

Last edited:
I've gotten all of mine from Coldstream Farm, they still have some sizes.

https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/product/black-elderberry-sambucus-canadensis/

Thanks H20. I did see CSF has some older seedlings available but they are higher in price and I suspect shipping would be too. In the past I have been able to purchase from various state nurseries at $25 for 30 seedlings and even $12 for 25 seedlings.