Creating Larger Exclosures

hilltopper

5 year old buck +
A little background: My farm and the surrounding area have had high deer densities since the 1960's. If you look at the landscape carefully, you realize what a profound affect that has had on the vegetation. I basically have two shrub varieties - alder and winterberry (Ilex)- that are very unpalatable for deer. Everything else has disappeared.
I would like to plant more shrub species, but they require protection. I was thinking of creating "thickets" by making larger exclosures. Yesterday I planted some elderberry cuttings with high bush cranberry and snowberry transplants I dug up from near the house. I used two cattle panels and a little fencing to create a 16 X 8 exclosure. I would like to create exclosures in numerous places and plant a wide variety of shrubs. The deer could browse what grows out of the exclosure, but the plants could grow well and produce fruits/seeds. The exclosures would produce islands of seed source, some forage for deer, and perhaps help pollinators and smaller birds. I think exclosures for individual shrubs are likely to be browsed too heavily to be of much use.

My question is this: What would be the most cost effective and least labor intensive method for creating exclosure and what size would be best. The cattle panels are pretty simple. Two t-posts can hold up each side. But that means one 16 X 8 exclosure would cost about $78 (3 panels and 4 posts)- less if I do the short ends in old wire. I made 8 plantings in that exclosure- probably too close together but they probably won't all survive. It will be easy to enter the exclosure from the end if I need to replant, spray, prune or fertilize.

Has anyone made a giant circle with welded wire- say a 12' diameter circle with four t-posts. I'm estimating that would cost about $40 with 40 feet of welded wire. Would that hold up?

Ideas? My idea is to create and spray the exclosures this year. And then plant shrubs next spring. I'd start with maybe 10 exclosures as the first experiment.

I have 4 larger exclosures for crabapple and plum trees. I used a 150 foot roll of cement wire in an egg shape and then added a wire gate for two of them. Split a roll for the other two. I have had one deer get in there in about ten years.

The crabs are seedlings and I am topworking the bird sized seedlings to bigger crabs.
ecddb8f9b9e8772eaca4fed1a0848602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found some decent buys on Craigslist for fencing along with used "T" posts.

Sandbur-
About how many t-posts did you use for the exclosure with 150' in an egg shape? Do I have that correct- one exclosure? Or two- 75' each.

I have 4 larger exclosures for crabapple and plum trees. I used a 150 foot roll of cement wire in an egg shape and then added a wire gate for two of them. Split a roll for the other two. I have had one deer get in there in about ten years.

The crabs are seedlings and I am topworking the bird sized seedlings to bigger crabs.
ecddb8f9b9e8772eaca4fed1a0848602.jpg

Thanks you, I purchased two - 150' roles of cement wire and was wondering if that would work. I'll give that a try.

44515d1bd66958d3ccef0b65f0d0a673.jpg

This was a 50' roll of welded wire. I feel like I could have done quite a bit more with 100-150'.

Sandbur-
About how many t-posts did you use for the exclosure with 150' in an egg shape? Do I have that correct- one exclosure? Or two- 75' each.

I have two that are each from 150 foot rolls and two more from a half roll each.

I would need to count the posts. I have used conduit between some posts but not as sturdy.

How tall is this fencing? I would be concerned about deer jumping the fence and clearing it out. Last spring I fenced in a couple Lilac bushes, along with some other plants, and they jumped it and ate them. Bushes that I was told they dont eat, but the deer werent the ones that told me that, so I was skeptical.

How tall is this fencing? I would be concerned about deer jumping the fence and clearing it out. Last spring I fenced in a couple Lilac bushes, along with some other plants, and they jumped it and ate them. Bushes that I was told they dont eat, but the deer werent the ones that told me that, so I was skeptical.

For Tame Deer they use eight foot fences by law in our state. We had low deer numbers and the five foot fence has worked for me.

Read a study once where the size of the area enclosed had an impact on the effectiveness of how high a fence needed to be. For areas 20 ft or so across you can get away with a 4 or 5 ft fence vs. taller needed with bigger areas. It was a small study done in WI somewhere so not much sample size but was interesting. Of course with small areas you dont get a lot of space to plant once you keep away from being right by the fence to prevent reaching thru/over. The deer could easily jump over but choose not to with limited space.

I lift my 5' concrete wire up a foot and wire it to the t posts, that gives me a 6' fence. That makes it easy to weed. I wrap my trees with aluminum so I dont worry about rabbits or mice - the one foot lift does also make it easier for predators to get in closer to the tree - foxes and coyote can duck under.

I did a garden area with the same 5' concrete wire, there I again lifted it a foot and then ran 2' chicken wire around the base.

Took a picture today. Deer walk around the pen, so far.
125b1293e28c7522063c4ec2ab216f5b.jpg

I had 2 exclosure like you are describing many years ago. If memory serves me correctly they were about 20' X 8' but may have been bigger. One was for an experiment with planting blueberries in our clay/loam soil. The blueberries never did anything but I also planted some oak seedlings inside the exclosure and we are now enjoying at least some acorns from those oaks. The fence was 2"X4"X72" welded wire with steel T-Posts. The second one was also blueberries and Red Osier Dogwood. Once again, the blueberries were a bust but I still have the dogwood - same fence. I did have deer or maybe bears run into the fence and knocked it down some but they never jumped inside of it. When the oaks and dogwood got beyond the reach of deer, I removed the fencing and used it elsewhere.

I used the same 6' welded wire fencing for an orchard which I planted in 2007. The orchard fence is 80' X 120' and only 6 feet high. I left the 4X4 posts higher thinking I would run white poly-tape around at the 7' - 8' levels for a visual diversion but I never found that it was necessary. The fence went up in 2007 and there has never been a deer (or bear) inside the fence. They probably could jump it if they really wanted to but they have never tried. This past winter I was throwing 30-40 apples per day over the fence for the deer. Even though there were plenty more apples on the ground and on the trees, they never tried to jump the fence.

DSC01586.jpgDSC01018.jpg

Just noticed....on the far side of the fence in the second photo you can see rolls of (somewhat rusty looking) welded wire fencing. Some of this stuff is close to 25 years old. It has protected many trees over the years and I just keep re-using it. Yes - it is expensive - but you can definitely get your moneys' worth from it.

Now that’s a enclosure

Old farm fence with wooden posts stapled two sections high.