All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Elderberry seedlings/cuttings this year? York variety?

NorthPotter

5 year old buck +
I did not get around to ordering my seedlings until early February this year. Because of my delay I missed the window for Elderberry. MDC is sold out, NY & WVA have zero to offer, VA is sold out, PA has zero to offer (in fact PA has fallen off the grid this year with only 4 seedling choices total,...no idea what happened). Don't laugh too hard but where are you all buying your reasonable cost Sambucus canadensis cuttings/seedlings this year? I am in central PA so I prefer to purchase locally/semi-local if possible.

Secondarily, I would like to try some "york" variety. I wonder if the York berries are actually larger than my various tiny wild type berries. Where has anyone purchased any reasonable cost York seedlings/cuttings and do you think they are better than your local wild type?

Last edited:
Can’t answer much but do you have any Elderberries on or near your place now?

They grow from live stake cuttings, you just need a rooting hormone and poke them in the ground (with weed control)
I put elderberry cuttings in one November after they went dormant and they grew the next spring so in my 1 experience they seem pretty hardy.

Can’t answer much but do you have any Elderberries on or near your place now?

They grow from live stake cuttings, you just need a rooting hormone and poke them in the ground (with weed control)
I put elderberry cuttings in one November after they went dormant and they grew the next spring so in my 1 experience they seem pretty hardy.

Thx Bill. I do have a few and starting from existing cuttings is an option. Every cutting that grew would be a clone of its parent which would be unpreferrrable but it is a fun option.

Last edited:
I've gotten all of mine from Coldstream Farm, they still have some sizes.

https://www.coldstreamfarm.net/product/black-elderberry-sambucus-canadensis/

Thanks H20. I did see CSF has some older seedlings available but they are higher in price and I suspect shipping would be too. In the past I have been able to purchase from various state nurseries at $25 for 30 seedlings and even $12 for 25 seedlings.