Dogwood cuttings

NWWI

5 year old buck +
Does anyone know of a source to buy dogwood cuttings?

Ernst Seeds. They sell rooted cuttings also. They had Red Osier dogwood, silky, and a few others a couple of weeks ago. It is getting late in the game.

local NRCS do tree orders every year and dogwood is a common one on the list. They might be sold out but it sure wouldnt hurt to check

Is it possible you can just go road ditch hunting for some? Plenty of them out there in the low lying ditches in the nw part of this state. You could dip them into hormodin 2 for some added insurance. Have some fun with it!

Im in central MN. I have hundreds of Red Osier bushes on my land. Id be happy to walk down and cut whatever you need if it does you any good?

PM me if I can help.

Just drive around and cut some from a road ditch for free. I would cut them this time of year and pot them immediately (usually 3-4 cuttings per pot) and if the soil stays moist most will survive.

Just drive around and cut some from a road ditch for free. I would cut them this time of year and pot them immediately (usually 3-4 cuttings per pot) and if the soil stays moist most will survive.

That's what I did last year. I just cut them them off and stuck them into the ground last spring. I think i had about 25% survive. I maybe had 250 cuttings and spent about 2 hours total between cutting them and shoving them into the soil in random spots.

This year I want to cut and dip into root gel and then pour some 10-10-10 fertilizer and water mixed up where I plant them. Hope to do close to 1,000 cuttings and spend around a day messing with it. I plan to do it EARLY and plant them in clumps along travel corridors. Plan to try and replicate the areas where it worked last year. The road ditches by me are full of them.

IMG_4632.JPGIMG_4636.JPGIMG_4642.JPGIMG_5200.JPG

I'm cutting a bunch on Friday dipping them in hormone and sticking them in to try and thicken up our road screen some. I've got a long wet spot nothing wants to grow in.

I put in between 250-300 cuttings in on Easter Sunday in North Central MN. 80% of them dipped in root gel. The other 20% were used as a check. I still want to do another 500 or so along travel corridors. Sure doesn't take long to put 100 of these into the ground. I lined a low funnel area around my waterhole with them. I dont like to do more than 150 at a time so I can get them to water quickly. I made 2 trips like this.

IMG_2594.JPGIMG_2596.JPGIMG_2599.JPGIMG_2621.JPG

Buck, have you had success doing it like this before? Are these all "softwood" cuttings? Ive thought it was better with just a small 6-12" cutting than a whole big branch? Im just curious because im all in to try as well? I did know it was as likely to work this way.

Free Free Free.... just find a ditch near you and cut some.... NW Wisconsin has an unlimited supply ... no need to dip just cut some 1 foot or a little longer sticks and stick them 3/4 of the way in the ground - 3 buds in 2 buds out. In just a little time you can have hundreds of cuttings.... free free free....

Buck, have you had success doing it like this before? Are these all "softwood" cuttings? Ive thought it was better with just a small 6-12" cutting than a whole big branch? Im just curious because im all in to try as well? I did know it was as likely to work this way.

I just pulled up to a road ditch that I know the power company is gonna mow off this summer and started cutting stuff out of a HUGE clump of dogwoods.

I had about 25% or a little better survival last year and it was the first time trying it. Could have been higher then that, but it wasnt 50%. I did not have any root gel last year. Last year was experimental. I stuck them in different soil types to see what I would get. Definitely did better next to low depressions with water around. Try to avoid hard sticky clay underneath. I think the largest cuttings had a difficult time surviving. I wanted to cut them tall enough so they would be above the undergrowth in the woods. I would be pretty happy to get to 75% survival this year going into the fall. There must be a balance between the size of the cutting, and the amount of water that it can soak up to try and keep it alive. Too big and they die to easy. Too small and I have to wait a couple years to see what develops. Its so fast doing the bigger ones that that I dont care that 100% arent surviving.

I have had better luck when I soak the cuttings for 24-48 hours before sticking them in the ground.

Well, the power company already came through and obliterated a major source for my dogwood cuttings and my white spruce transplants. Good thing I pretty much have everything I wanted. They mowed a lot of acres in our area. As those ditches regrow they turn into nice little browse plots for the deer. I was still able to grab another 200 dogwood cuttings yesterday afternoon and I transplanted another 60 white spruce into the area yesterday, I just had to look a little harder.

IMG_2870.JPGIMG_2877.JPG

Here WAS one of my spruce sources. There is still a few hundred left on the other side of the road, but most of them are either too big or too small right now. I must have transplanted 500 trees to our area from that ditch. Nothing more than grabbing them and tearing them out and then planting with a shovel. No water, nothing special. 90-95% survival after 1 year. Power company wants them gone. They were thick in that ditch for about 1/2 mile.

IMG_4631.JPG

IMG_2881.JPG

Give it a year or two and your supply will be back

I have been trying to get ROD established on my place but it’s slow going.

I have been trying to get ROD established on my place but it’s slow going.

I had very low success establishing ROD from cuttings stuck in the ground.

I have had better luck leaving them in a bucket of water until they form roots. Then i pot the ones that form roots and throw away the ones that don't. The following year I plant them out as established bushes with large root systems.

Reactions: Rit
I had very low success establishing ROD from cuttings stuck in the ground.

I have had better luck leaving them in a bucket of water until they form roots. Then i pot the ones that form roots and throw away the ones that don't. The following year I plant them out as established bushes with large root systems.
I have had better success when soaking the cuttings they are surviving but the growth has been underwhelming. I protect most of them. This year I planted rooted cuttings 25 of them. They were cheap but eventually I’d like to just use my own. Where to you keep the potted cuttings during the winter?