Propogating red dogwood

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anybody have a good reciepe for making your own dogwood from cuttings? Too late to make them for spring planting?

Anybody have a good reciepe for making your own dogwood from cuttings? Too late to make them for spring planting?
There are a bunch of threads on this forum for propagating ROD. It is very easy to do and can be quite successful

Red the washingtion edu info. Tried some 2 or 3 years ago, not much luck. Water is low pH and high tannin in the swamp, and reading this, I used more mature shoots than year old.

Rooted ones from the state nursery did ok though. May just need to root at home for a year while I can water them well. i need to trim up the new area I would like them to be in. Might do a take 2 in the swamp edge too. Beavers could of wiped mine out too, but willows took.

Layering works very with dogwoods. Every year in spring I bend over some of the long shoots to the ground cover them up with dirt. Landscape staples work good also to pin stems down. This method works well to get your dogwoods to spread horizontally. New shoots will pop up vertical along the branch that is buried. I've never done it but I guess you can dig up the new vertical shoots and replant them.

I prefer to pot them and then plant them out once they have a root system. I usually put 2 or 3 twigs in a pot to make sure something grows.

I got a bucket of cuttings from generous forum member's place last year and just stuck em in the ground. Some took but I bet less than 50%. The yearling rooted ones I got from the SWCD seemed to have a pretty high success rate so I’ll probably get some more of those this year.

Last edited:
Layering works very with dogwoods. Every year in spring I bend over some of the long shoots to the ground cover them up with dirt. Landscape staples work good also to pin stems down. This method works well to get your dogwoods to spread horizontally. New shoots will pop up vertical along the branch that is buried. I've never done it but I guess you can dig up the new vertical shoots and replant them.

When you've done that have you been able to cut the rooted extension and transplant that to another location?

How many are you talking about doing, 25, 50? or 500, or a 1000?

Ive never had good luck starting them early indoors... that being said if your doing a small number like 25 or 50, you can pot them out. if your doing 50-100 just get two large bags of miracle gro potting mix and a sharp pencil.... plop the bags down on edge, cut a top corner of the bag for sticking a garden hose into to water and take a pencil and stab the bag for as many plants as you want to get to root. In the early spring go cut some dormant cuttings a foot or so in length wax the ends and store in the fridge in a zip lock bag with a damp paper towel till spring growing time then stab them in the bag and water the hell out of it then pretty much walk away ( 2 buds in the soil 1 bud site out or 3 buds in 2 buds out) , or just stick them in a garden, dense plant and next year or so later lift out and transplant.
You could use a garbage bag filled with dirt too... Ive done that with a bunch of different cuttings. I have gone to raised stooling beds filled with sand kept wet - just like a raised garden bed. Its easy dont over think it - you can get dogwood cuttings in mass free out of ditches .

When you've done that have you been able to cut the rooted extension and transplant that to another location?
The branch that's buried will become the root system for the vertical shoots. You are supposed to be able to cut on both sides of a shoot and transplant. I personally have not tried it . I just do this layering with my yellow twig dogwoods to get them to spread out so I can get more cuttings off of them. It works good.

How many are you talking about doing, 25, 50? or 500, or a 1000?

Ive never had good luck starting them early indoors... that being said if your doing a small number like 25 or 50, you can pot them out. if your doing 50-100 just get two large bags of miracle gro potting mix and a sharp pencil.... plop the bags down on edge, cut a top corner of the bag for sticking a garden hose into to water and take a pencil and stab the bag for as many plants as you want to get to root. In the early spring go cut some dormant cuttings a foot or so in length wax the ends and store in the fridge in a zip lock bag with a damp paper towel till spring growing time then stab them in the bag and water the hell out of it then pretty much walk away ( 2 buds in the soil 1 bud site out or 3 buds in 2 buds out) , or just stick them in a garden, dense plant and next year or so later lift out and transplant.
You could use a garbage bag filled with dirt too... Ive done that with a bunch of different cuttings. I have gone to raised stooling beds filled with sand kept wet - just like a raised garden bed. Its easy dont over think it - you can get dogwood cuttings in mass free out of ditches .
Like the idea of the miracle grow. What does waxing the ends accomplish? I had marginal success last year with my cuttings and I'm looking for an edge this year. ha!

I haven't used these yet but a friend on another habitat site uses these and says they work great. They are very cheap if you look around.

I haven't used these yet but a friend on another habitat site uses these and says they work great. They are very cheap if you look around.

Interesting, would have to be a lot cheaper than the listed wal-mart price though. @ over $6/ea when you can get rooted seedlings for less than $2/ea from the SWDC.

Edit: these look better. Might give some a try! https://www.amazon.com/changsha-Ass...hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584276309395970&psc=1

I've had good luck pushing 6 cuttings into a pot filled with dirt and then keeping it well watered for a year. It is a little more work going that route, but my success rate is 100%.

I usually just collect cuttings from red osier dogwoods I find growing in road ditches.

Like the idea of the miracle grow. What does waxing the ends accomplish? I had marginal success last year with my cuttings and I'm looking for an edge this year. ha!
It just seals in the cutting's moisture (prevents stress or death from drying out) to help improve survival of the cutting while stored. You want dormant cuttings, but reducing the time you store them adds to the overall survivability so the later you can cut them the better I have found - as long as they are dormant. Its a balancing act with dormancy.
I have a cast iron pan with melted candle wax, you could use a pan over a flame/burner (pool of wax - wide enough to dip handfuls of cutting ends), if doing a few just a candle in a jar will work.

I field cut the cuttings in bunches, come home and cut them into sticks to fit in a five gallon pail (ultimately to fit into a zip lock bag) - orient them the same direction - bud/growth wise then grab them in bunches and dip the ends, spin and dip the other side and put them into 1 gallon zip lock bags with a slightly damp paper towel and into the fridge for storage ( a beer fridge would help here) - the damp paper towel helps do the rest as far as moisture - a little mold is no issue but squeeze out the paper towel and you should have no or limited mold issues.

The cuttings in a bag deal works good, osiers are swamp plants and will thrive in rich wet/damp soil... garbage bags would work the same...

I dont off hand have pics of the bag method but the lined sand box is something that works pretty good. The pics of the cuttings on the tailboard if you zoom in you can see the waxed ends.

You can see the survival rate is pretty good - would imagine individual or small groupings in pots would fair just as well. Bag method is pretty much 80% plus as well.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2930.JPG
    IMG_2930.JPG
    676.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 37
That setup looks great Carvey. Looking to build a new styled hunting stand spot. There's 2 big hills that hold a buck or two each, but it's impossible to get up there without getting busted.

There's a 300 yard long logging trail. I plan on trimming back the young trees to 4 or 5ft tall, and then adding dogwood in the wetter spots.

I am doing a tree nursery again this year, so watering some is easy. Probably do about 1/2 of what you have carvery. Then lant them in the fall possibly. OR , next spring. I finally have some help from a club member. He's building a hunting blind, and I'm help with the habitat around it. Got a few crabapple seedlings to put there too.

Also, when its real hot n nasty out, put up some shading for your sprouts. My mom could never transplant cucumber seedlings. I told her to put a mesh chair over the seedlign for a week or two.

Helped alot with my crabapple shoots. They were growing ok until I went on vacation. Kids underwatered them 4th of july while I was away.

I dont off hand have pics of the bag method but the lined sand box is something that works pretty good. The pics of the cuttings on the tailboard if you zoom in you can see the waxed ends.

You can see the survival rate is pretty good - would imagine individual or small groupings in pots would fair just as well. Bag method is pretty much 80% plus as well.

They look great. Do you have any pics on how much rooting they achieved? Just sand in the box?

Also, when its real hot n nasty out, put up some shading for your sprouts. My mom could never transplant cucumber seedlings. I told her to put a mesh chair over the seedlign for a week or two.

Helped alot with my crabapple shoots. They were growing ok until I went on vacation. Kids underwatered them 4th of july while I was away.
The stooling box is under a tree so it gets shad most of the day especially in the noon hour. Very good point with the shade - my grafted trees that I pot out and put into growing racks at home in the fenced garden area are always kept in a mostly shaded area, that helps out tremendously.