Dipper rotation

D

dipper

I am excited to document my adaptation to the infamous Lickcreek mix. Most of the credit goes to Doug, and his introduction to cover crops, and solid-management. I am going to be documenting my adaptation of these stewards, with my experience. I can't tell you how rewarding it has been to take food plotting and soil health to a different level. These practices will save you a ton of money, and make you contemplate what equipment you actually need. May be even make you think that renting your ag property, isn't worth that $100/ acre.

I've been farming since 1982. We had some rough times 88 and 89 were some horrible droughts. Things appear to have slowly gotten worse for my sandy soil of central wi. We are still blessed with a population of big bucks. I am exceptionally fortunate enough to be able to travel anywhere I want to hunt trophy deer. It's fun, but my true trophy is my land. I have 450 acres. There has been struggles to grow crops on my soil. The organic matter is around 1% and nutrients are hard to retain.

I plant food plots for friends around central wi and northern Iowa. I have taken a lot of slack from so called professionals in regards to my planting and management techniques. I've got a great job, so I have no reason to make money off my findings.
Actually, I do food plot work and sell food plot seed on a local level in central wi. I could really careless about landing any jobs. We are fine. I just enjoy it, and I enjoy saving money.
I'm going to take many things I've learned to save food plotters a ton of money, and still have success. If it can work for me in trophy areas of central wi and Iowa, it can work in many places.
Things can change from zone to zone. But, the principals of cover cropping don't change.
Hold on, I'm gonna throw some crazy things out there. Many don't approve, I've battled them at the qdma forum. If I can do it on horrible soil and high deer density. Anyone can do it!

I'm all ears. I like saving money and having good plots.

-John

I can't wait to see what you have in store for us Dip!

Looking forward to it dipper! I'm already planning on planting winter rye this spring to use as a winter food plot.

Winter of 2014-30" of snow, my management was able to still sustain a 365 day a year food source. This 1.6 acre food plot overcame drought immediately after planting, but it still
produced.
E7F06852-A3F6-4305-9D81-912E0719ABF7.jpg

This food plot cost me about $20. A half dozen sheds and 10 mature does shot here.
I'll show you my 5 acre plot that cost me around $45. We killed around 4o does around this plot in 2013. Many bucks passed, but it was a down year.

I am going to tell you guys this isn't about me. My conventional shift in thinking is Doug's order. I just want to help and share. I have nothing to gain.
I would caution just planting spring rye. There are many more benefits than rye. Timing the maturity of the plants is the fun part.
Why not plant a quick maturing plant like oats right now, to take advantage of the free seed come summer? You can add the rye when the oats mature in July.

From experience, summer planted oats along with other things is a deer magnet come fall and winter, more to come.

My biggest problem is that I'm an absentee land owner and won't get back to the property until November. I may be able to get my neighbor to replant it in July but I'm not too worried. I will have 3 other plots planted (corn, clover, and brassicas) to cover my bases. I like the idea of the spring planted rye and think it will be something fun to try.

Were waiting.

Sounds good dipper. I also have sandy soil and the last few years have been difficult for us food plotters.

yeah....i'm waiting too!

dipper -

What type of changes have you seen in your organic matter % over a period of time while using your techniques? I have some fairly sandy soil in certain places on my land in MN and I'm always looking for opportunities to improve it. Two fields have OM's around 1.5%. I planted one into buckwheat last year and I'm trying to come up with plot ideas that will feed the deer and improve the soil. Is winter rye the backbone of your plan? I was impressed with how well my winter rye came back this spring, but the deer didn't seem to use it as much as my other plots.

Hey dipper, diehard cardinals fan here. I noticed your new avatar:rolleyes:. I know the brew crew has the best record in baseball but its only April;). Will you be changing that avatar come August? :cool:

Lets go dipper - we are all waiting to here more! I for one appreciated your discussion on the other forum and think your experiences are very enlightening,

I'm all ears too. Last spring I followed Doug's advice on drilling beans directly into standing rye rather than disking it in first. It worked out great and held up in the drought. Broadcast rye back into them last fall and those plots haven't had bare dirt showing in well over a year now.

Stuck a shovel in one spot last week and it was full of worms, so I'm all for learning more.

Like corn. How does one not let a standing corn field leave exposed dirt all winter?

Not much going on right now with the food plots, it seems like it's been raining for a week. I got a chance to get some tree planting done.
This is a rye patch that seeded itself. All I did was run it over with the culti packer in July and spray glyphosate. The plot got a lot of use last fall, with the additional brassicas. Gotta take advantage of the free seed.
634FA487-096F-46A8-BEBD-3EE0EECEF6FA.jpg

This is sandy soil low in potassium. I did amend the k.
38E43BB1-8AA9-4D65-849C-34CE3E077312.jpg

Saving money and building the soil. I'm not huge into soil testing all the time. I know the soils weaknesses from the initial soil test. The organic matter only has one place to go.

This particular plot is slowly being converted to an orchard. As you can see, there is hardly anything left of the early July planted oats. Just the yellow stalk. The heads and leaves were gone along time ago. The rye and clover will continue to thrive.
B3891759-2393-49C2-820F-3E54AEDFA568.jpg

Some white spruce make adequate posts and the money's right. Ill fence these trees off and mulch them.

Last edited by a moderator:
How many acres you have to mess around with dipper?