Dipper rotation

How many acres you have to mess around with dipper?
With all the acres I put in for friends, I am at around 26 in food plots. I farm around 200.

Was doing some apple tree work, got back to the truck and there's a fat turkey packing it's gizzard on the poor mans food plot.
8B2C8DA7-9552-467C-9C0F-28A9DD4A5322.jpg

Notice the difference in color from left to right. This entire field was planted in rye/ 2 pounds acre red clover summer 2012. I flattened the mature rye on the right summer 2013, nothing was done to the left side. Pretty amazing what a culti packer or just flattening the rye will do.
69ACF4F0-3086-40F2-900D-0D008890030F.jpg

Pretty distinct difference. Rye seed doesn't even need to make contact with the soil to germinate. It just needs moisture. Anyone familiar with the malting process in brewing. The grains germinate in doors without any soil.

A flattened rye head will germinate.
57E8D9B7-0E7D-41DB-981E-491117872C45.jpg

Solid rye germination
07FB769A-2D90-4CF0-9D20-AE4B03183375.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
48DDAFE5-5F0E-41E2-9F06-92A4B846C329.jpg

This thick layer of rye will need two years to recycle back into the soil. It is great mulch now

Some places the rye is thicker.
C2EBF7AB-8BE5-483F-AB5E-9443FBFA603B.jpg

Other places the red clover rules. This clover was originally planted at 2 pounds an acre. That is a real low seeding rate. However, if let to seed out. It will plant itself.....solid clover.
70AE45D7-6FEB-49EF-B9E0-D4E7C04D9AA9.jpg

Once it warms up a little I'm gonna no till sunflower, beans, peas, and sorghum Sudan grass into this plot. No soil amendments.

Through trial and error, I've found these plants are not suppressed by actively growing rye. It's awesome, peas and beans grap onto the rye and climb right up.

When the rye matures, it will be flattened with a culti packer. I'll drill in brassicas and oats. The sunflower, beans, peas and clover will survive and pop back up. Making this type of management the only true 365 day a year plot.
No soil amendments saving me thousands of dollars! Your no gonna beat it!

This stuff just Amazes me. You can't overseed it. By just flattening it, it was planted at hundreds of pounds an acre.
57E8D9B7-0E7D-41DB-981E-491117872C45.jpg

Had to really pull on the seed heads to get them out. I've got 5 acres of these bad boys feeding deer and feeding the soil.
1BA961DA-CEAB-4A89-98FD-E7F7A53C24B1.jpg

What's interesting is some of these seed heads didn't germinate till spring. We had a real dry august and September last year, so germination and growth were set back.
So I have two different stages of rye growing, the seed that germinated last year, and the stuff that germinated this spring. Talk about awesome

Looking forward to reading and learning. Thanks for taking the time to share.

It's so interesting seeing how much rye thatch is gone compared to the earlier pictures from spring. A week ago I no tilled soybean, peas, oats and sunflower into the rye and clover that was already growing.
Soybean on left pea on right, you can see the oats growing in there
C67B58E2-868E-4D08-91DB-766740AFC123.jpg

Sunflower and tender oats, notice the minimal thatch, it's disappearing compared to the handfuls of it above
BCFACFCE-7EAE-46F9-A316-9E6CF6C94ED2.jpg

Red clover is a weed. Seeded at 2 pounds/acre in the fall of 2012. Doesn't take much to get a thick stand.
73702EAE-EA5D-4B61-9DF1-5042D9AE1CE2.jpg

Egyptian wheat is up, but lookin a little thick. According to the no till drill 6.7 pounds an acre, so we'll see.
452A3846-C063-43E8-972C-7370352E9416.jpg

So is the nwsg that was no tilled into the above clover. Believe this is big blue
127C1494-54E5-4100-9148-23D7B1389C95.jpg

Cave in rock switch
CF5DB02F-09E6-4E9F-8EAA-ECCF218BD2C5.jpg

Still throwing seed in the ground. This cool season grass field hasn't been turned over since the 1950s, not gonna happen in my no till operation.
85EFAE63-6796-41C8-9256-CADC4F57B852.jpg

This grass was sprayed again, I would never plant into partially killed grass

all looks very good, Dipper

All my warm season plots are finally in the ground. I delayed planting on this farm because there is another plot with alluvial soil. It was just too wet to plant. I actually had to lift the planter up twice because I started sinking down. In a matter of a couple days the upland sandy plots need some rain. Kinda funny-Here I am no tilling into maturing rye.
562A1CE2-F037-4C96-90D9-0DD2A6B05CDF.jpg

This is only an acre plot, and I had some nasty grass infestation, so I sprayed the plot with ghlyphosate after planting. I didn't bother flattening the rye, because it will help shade/ protect the warm season mix from deer. Mature bucks also prefer to feed in the tall rye, than a flattened field. Sometimes I have to spray my plots, some times I don't. The nice thing is, this plot will be completely cleared of grass all summer, so I shouldn't need to spray again this year, when I put my fall plots in.
The wierd thing is-in less than a month the fall plots are going in. Planting is way behind in central WI.

Looking good!

Since Doug converted me, my disk hasn't moved in two spring planting cycles.

All my warm season plots are finally in the ground. I delayed planting on this farm because there is another plot with alluvial soil. It was just too wet to plant. I actually had to lift the planter up twice because I started sinking down. In a matter of a couple days the upland sandy plots need some rain. Kinda funny-Here I am no tilling into maturing rye.
562A1CE2-F037-4C96-90D9-0DD2A6B05CDF.jpg

This is only an acre plot, and I had some nasty grass infestation, so I sprayed the plot with ghlyphosate after planting. I didn't bother flattening the rye, because it will help shade/ protect the warm season mix from deer. Mature bucks also prefer to feed in the tall rye, than a flattened field. Sometimes I have to spray my plots, some times I don't. The nice thing is, this plot will be completely cleared of grass all summer, so I shouldn't need to spray again this year, when I put my fall plots in.
The wierd thing is-in less than a month the fall plots are going in. Planting is way behind in central WI.

In northern Mn, spring planting ends on July 3. Fall planting begins on July 5.

Take the 4th off and enjoy the summer.

Dipper,
I am putting in a new plot July 4th. I was going to do WR, oats, and clover. Is this to early for the oats?

All my personal oats went in July 8th last year and it was leveled. So if that is the day you have, do it. I am often tempted to leave some spring planted oats over winter to see what happens.

All my personal oats went in July 8th last year and it was leveled. So if that is the day you have, do it. I am often tempted to leave some spring planted oats over winter to see what happens.
Thanks, if there is any rain in the forecast I will be planting.

Dipper - interesting stuff and I want to make sure I understand. I also have a few questions.

So you no-till your soybeans directly into the standing rye? They late summer you flatten the rye running a Cultipack over everything? You then no-till brassicas into the flattened rye and soybeans?

Do the soybeans brake or what happens to them when you roll over them with a Cultipack? I assume you do this in late August/September or the volunteer rye would be way past maturity come winter/spring? Must be around the time the soybeans are drying down so don't they just flatten out?

Sorry for lots of questions I'm just really interested and trying to understand. I'm working my way towards 100% no-till. I purchased a 5 row JD 7000 planter this past year and so far so good.

Thanks!

Dipper,

So ... What is your rotation? ...What do you recommend for a rotation in sandy soil? I don't have a drill and have a one acre sandy soil plot. I also have 3 smaller plots with much better soil ...1 acre. It must be getting close to your plot planting window.