?? - Difference Between Patriot and Durana Clovers

mglenn005

5 year old buck +
Can anyone give me the short and skinny. Looking to plant a few acres in white clover. I have heard good things about durana and patriot but that is from shows that "could" hype products. Any honest feedback and/or experience with these clovers. Differences, Similarities, etc.

I will use rye as cover crop.

Thanks.
mark

Mark, I can't comment on Patriot but here's a PIC of my 2015 fall planted durana in May of 2016. Durana is a slow starting clover. If you plant it in the fall, it will explode in the spring. It is somewhat low growing and puts down runners (stolons) that fill in quickly. Give it a good dose of P and K and keep your PH to around 6.5 and it will thrive. They say Durana will provide slightly more food than Patriot but Patriot is a companion to Durana and vice versa. Good luck with your planting.IMG_0793.JPG IMG_0798.JPG

Durana works in lots of places, but is especially adapted to the south. Patriot is not as adapted to more northern locations, mostly used in the south. I believe they go dormant at slightly different times as well.

I find Patriot is a good partner for Durana. Durana is very persistent and drought tolerant once established but very slow to establish. The best method for my area is to fall plant Durana with a nurse crop of winter. The key is the following spring. Each time the WR hits about a foot, I mow it back to about 6". This releases the Durana but keep the WR in place as long as possible to fend off weed infestation until the Durana gets a strong foot hold.

Patriot white is not as persistent or aggressive as Durana but is faster to establish. If you mix the two 50/50, it helps. The Patriot White helps fill in faster making timely mowing less critical. Eventually the Durana fills in and in time dominates the field.

Thanks,

Jack

thanks everyone. it sounds like a 50/50 mix of patriot and durana is the best path forward with a nurse crop of rye or wheat.

Durana-fan here too; no experience with Patriot. One more positive that is worth reiterating is persistence; with a little management it lasts many years. 6 years and counting for me.

I've got some stands of durana and patriot that I planted last fall. They did not come in a lush as the photos in this thread. Can I overseed with additional durana and patriot this fall to help them fill in? If so, do I need a nurse crop of cereal rye?

I would always over seed with rye. Rye will be up and out of the ground in 3-5 days with rain. It will not winter kill except maybe in the great north. It will scavenge any excess N that the clover leaves. Provides a dense fibrous root system to hold topsoil in place while slow growing durana is getting it's feet under itself. It matures out in early summer giving does a thick cover to have for fawns. provides thatch for the next crop of no till and adds lots of bound up nutrient to be slowly released over the next year. Deer like it. Good hunting. "D"

Another question: anyone ever mixed it with Crimson clover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is this Durana or patriot superior to lidino clover?

Another question: anyone ever mixed it with Crimson clover?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've mixed Durana with Crimson but I didn't like the result. At lest in my case, after the crimson was spent, it left holes in the durana that were filled with weeds. I'm in zone 7A, so it may be related to the timing of Durana and crimson in my area, but I have not mixed the two since.

Thanks,

Jack

I've got some stands of durana and patriot that I planted last fall. They did not come in a lush as the photos in this thread. Can I overseed with additional durana and patriot this fall to help them fill in? If so, do I need a nurse crop of cereal rye?

Post a picture but durana plots don't need to be lush. You will probably get the same results by simply mowing it when it has gone to seed.

Thanks,

Jack

Post a picture but durana plots don't need to be lush. You will probably get the same results by simply mowing it when it has gone to seed.

Thanks,

Jack
10-4 will take a pic the next time I'm at the farm. We've had steady run all thru August and its definitely green, just don't have any prior plantings of it to compare too. Planted Crimson, Arrowleaf and red clovers as well in a oat/wheat mix and it did real well thru mid June until it got real hot. The durana/patriot plots I have are in pine rows and I did mix some arrow leaf with them as well as some wheat when I planted last fall.

10-4 will take a pic the next time I'm at the farm. We've had steady run all thru August and its definitely green, just don't have any prior plantings of it to compare too. Planted Crimson, Arrowleaf and red clovers as well in a oat/wheat mix and it did real well thru mid June until it got real hot. The durana/patriot plots I have are in pine rows and I did mix some arrow leaf with them as well as some wheat when I planted last fall.

My view on weeds in clover is not the typical thinking. You can find details of my view on weeds in clover in this thread: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/an-evolving-approach-to-wildilfe-management.5975/
Thanks,

Jack

If im ordering 15# total (5# bag increment), should I put more of durana or patriot on the ground?

I like to shoot for 50/50 mix. If you need to pick one for heavier, I'd pick Durana. It is your long-term target for the plot. The Pat White gives faster coverage until the Durana gets established. It will then overtake the Pat White.

Thanks,

Jack

Sorry for the delay in getting this clover pic in, had a little hurricane hermine to deal with the last week. This is a pic from a durana/patriot strip in a pine tree row. Was planted last fall along with some oats and arrow leaf. I did not fertilize this past spring with 0-20-20 but plan to do so this fall if the consensus is that this is a good enough clover stand to continue with to oversee with more durana/patriot and cereal rye. I have only mowed this, and have not sprayed. Can anyone tell me what the non clover plant is that is in the photo? They are starting to pop up in my strips and did not know if mowing or cold weather would take care of it? I'm in South Georgia.

Attachments

• IMG_3578.JPG
    IMG_3578.JPG
    335.3 KB · Views: 68
I would also like to know what plant that is...? I have some popping up in my plot too.

WAG.........Creeping indigo??? Or hairy indigo. That plant looks young so it may be hard to distinguish?

Last edited:
I frost seeded some Durano into a ladino plot that was 2 years old trying to extend the life of the plot having heard Durano lasts longer. The plot was probably too far gone already with grass and weeds. I like the price I get on Ladino much more than what ordering Durano costs.