Deer Blind Windows

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
I am building several elevated box blinds and will be using acrylic for windows. Considering several ways of installing the windows such as cutting tracks or metal rails to slides the windows, or hinges to flip them up.

Looking for suggestions on the above or other creative ways to install ....

Was looking at the Amish made box blinds in our area. Saw a few with hinges and "cupboard style" windows....which were last on my list. I liked the windows that slid down in a wood track at either side. They did require a stiffener at top and bottom to prevent the plexiglass from bowing from the wind. The stiffener could be any narrow metal material.

I did think a metal track instead of the wood track may be a better solution (as the slot needs to be generous so the windows don't bind due to wood swelling , twisting etc)....but the wood tracks seem to work OK. The best windows had a cord and pulley to lower the window via the sash cord.....which could be held via a loop in the cord and a screw in the sidewall of the blind. Simple, low cost, effective.

We have some with wood slides and like Tom says, a generous track.

They rattle in the wind.

I went with old windows from a house that tip up. There is still some rattling in the wind, but just a bit of cardboard takes care of it.

My concern with the wood tracks was getting the depths rights and constructing them. I inherited one blind with them and the guy did a good job ... I may not have the same carpentry skills ... :(

I am considering the metal sliders and pulling the windows up.

The other concern with horizontal sliders is that you lose 50% of the window opening ...

My concern with the wood tracks was getting the depths rights and constructing them. I inherited one blind with them and the guy did a good job ... I may not have the same carpentry skills ... :(

I am considering the metal sliders and pulling the windows up.
^ This is what I would do.

check out how they do the windows on the Natures View blinds. the tree looking blind. they have them at runnings.

check out how they do the windows on the Natures View blinds. the tree looking blind. they have them at runnings.

All they show of their site are tree blinds and no window detail ... do you have a link?

No, I jumped inside one at Runnings and looked. Impressive system. Seemed silent and adjustable with a magnet, pulley rope system to hold window open. One handed adjustment.

Thanks

All they show of their site are tree blinds and no window detail ... do you have a link?

go to the 4 minute mark-

Check out the windows on Shadow Hunter blinds. They have plexiglass window on inside and a storm window on outside. I have opened window with deer only 15 yards away and the deer never heard window open. They sell the window kits to put on your own blind.

Check out the windows on Shadow Hunter blinds. They have plexiglass window on inside and a storm window on outside. I have opened window with deer only 15 yards away and the deer never heard window open. They sell the window kits to put on your own blind.

I did .... at $78 per kit, not a real bargain.

I did .... at $78 per kit, not a real bargain.

I agree that they are pricey but if you start buying the material it can get pricey too.

I framed in some drop down windows out of Plexiglas this spring and love them. I had sliding windows before and like said before you lose half your window and they are a bit of a pain when they catch on top or button when opening.

Shadow hunter windows are nice. I really like to 2 window system they have.

go to the 4 minute mark-

Larry hustles products better than most other gear personalities. He used to promote my shooting sticks....and sold a ton of 'em for me. Gotta say....he is not bashful to hype a line tho. ;) It's all good.

I have built several using basement hopper windows from Home Depot $73 a pop.

But they require a bit of alteration to use hunting. There is an internal plastic hinge that keeps the window from opening all the way. I cut it with a razor knife and replace with offset kitchen cabinet hinges. Mount the windows to open down.

Not cheap but the up side is a good seal.

http://t.homedepot.com/p/American-C...sulated-Glass-and-Screen-50-HOPPER/203157349/

Raising chickens Brooks?