Cultipacker vs Lawn roller?

Big G-2

5 year old buck +
Can someone give me the reasons of using a true ribbed Cultipacker vs a smooth lawn roller? What exactly do you gain by the ribs on a roller? Isn't the idea, just to push the seed into the ground a little bit for seed to soil contact? I would think a regular lawn roller would get that done, but I'm a rookie at this, so maybe someone can explain? Thanks.....

I've used both and while I don't know the science behind it, the cultipacker did produce a better plot. I would hazard to guess the ribs push the seed into the soil better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a lawn roller but no cultipacker. Done lots of plots with side by side comparisons.
On disked plots: roller vs drag = no difference, roller vs spring tooth = no difference, roller vs hard rain = no difference.
Throw n mow: no differences.
I've tried a lot of things with this roller and will probably continue to use it once in a while if I see the right situation, but I've found it isn't necessary.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have a lawn roller but no cultipacker. Done lots of plots with side by side comparisons.
On disked plots: roller vs drag = no difference, roller vs spring tooth = no difference, roller vs hard rain = no difference.
Throw n mow: no differences.
I've tried a lot of things with this roller and will probably continue to use it once in a while if I see the right situation, but I've found it isn't necessary.

So what do you like to do now, just spread seed on top, and leave it?

I'm 100% throw n mow now. Haven't worked dirt for several yrs.

Used a roller for a few years and had a few times where heavy rain right after seeding would have alot of run-off. Now i use a cultipacker. It leaves dimples and ridges so i get less run-off. Did some fall plots of grain and the cultipacker put the seed in rows so when it germinated it looks like i drilled it in. Not that that makes any difference. Nothing wrong with a roller...it does the job.

Can someone give me the reasons of using a true ribbed Cultipacker vs a smooth lawn roller? What exactly do you gain by the ribs on a roller? Isn't the idea, just to push the seed into the ground a little bit for seed to soil contact? I would think a regular lawn roller would get that done, but I'm a rookie at this, so maybe someone can explain? Thanks.....

Linoleum countertop vs a rag ... tilt them and pour water across both and see what happens ...

The divots created by a cultipacker hold rainwater and limit the waters momentum from creating erosion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A cultipacker does several things. First it presses seed into the soil improving seed/soil contact. Next, it removes air pockets firming the seed bed. Finally, it puts an irregular surface on the plot to minimize runoff and help rain soak into the root zone. A typical lawn roller will do the first two very well. It doesn't do the third and produces a flat uniform surface.
A lawn roller is better than not rolling, but if you plan on using one for the long haul consider how to improve the surface. One thought I had when I was using one was to weld chains around the barrel every few inches.

A cultipacker may have more beneficial impact on clay type soils in sloped fields. In sandy soil, water tends to infiltrate much more quickly and you may see less benefit from a cultipacker over a lawn roller on flat fields with more sandy soil.

Thanks,

Jack

"One thought I had when I was using one was to weld chains around the barrel every few inches."

Now that's a pretty good thought yoderjac. I never would have thought of going that route. But I'd bet it would work quite well.

Cultipacker wheels are also "floating on an undersize axle" This lets the individual wheels ride up and down over irregular surfaces and get the dips. I imagine a lawn roller would ride over the low spots. After I cultipack after broadcasting, it looks like its been drilled, the seeds mush wash into the v grooves. This year I rented a no-till from NRCS, but I usually disc heavy, broadcast then cultipack. I do 5 acres, that's a lot of broadcasting with a shoulder bag. I have an ancient herd seeder that I sometimes use, its rough though I often end up shoulderbag broadcasting.

Biggest advantage to a packer vs a roller is the geometry of it. packer wheels essentially float and as such they can do a better job of packing within reason - they also tend to create small ridges that help retain surface moisture as well. A roller is going to only pack the high points and thus can be far less effective if the plot is not fairly level to begin with. I don't use either. I simply drive over my plots with my tractor or riding mower or an ATV. This will push the seed into the ground as far as you need.

I don't have a cultipacker and needed to smooth and replant my failed spring attempt at a yard. Used a skid steer with tracks to pack it and add grooves. Looks great, hopefully it does well.
37ba2c2a67180b5916abf670c65138c5.jpg