Cuddelink general Q&A recommendations

Sounds good! Thank you for the tip.

The home camera I have at that location just sent a new report with no cameras linked, so I am guessing the link radio is bad or the antenna. Is there a way for me to transfer the billing plan to a new home? This camera only ran for 5 days before the problems and I won’t be able to replace it for another 5 days. Very frustrating as it is over an hour from my home as well, and deer season is only two weeks out.
yes they can move the plan but you will need to call cuddeback CS to have them do that, as there is a specific procedure needed to do that. I will say, it would be very odd for a camera to work for 5 days and then have the radio go bad. Its more likely its an sd card issue , the antenna was damaged or something else is going on.

The levels and the number of links we will be fairly variable in the first few hours. The system will figure out the most efficient way to connect all cameras to the home unit. Give it a day or so to see how they are reporting. The connection level should go up and if you put the Home unit in the middle of the remotes, the number of links should go down.
If the cuddelink network is balancing itself, why does it matter if I select REMOTE vs REPEATER when setting up the camera. Should I set all my remote cameras to REMOTE, then Cudde will determine which ones function as REPEATERs?

If the cuddelink network is balancing itself, why does it matter if I select REMOTE vs REPEATER when setting up the camera. Should I set all my remote cameras to REMOTE, then Cudde will determine which ones function as REPEATERs?
units set as "remote" can act as a repeater or link as well as take pics. Units set as repeater only act as a link , they do not take pictures. Unless you have location you dont want, or need images from, set all cameras on Remote,( other than your home unit)

Last edited:
units set as "remote" can act as a repeater or link as well as take pics. Units set as repeater only act as a link , they do not take pictures. Unless you have location you dont want, or need images from, set all cameras on Remote,( other than your home unit)
Thanks, got it. Now I understand what the manual implies. I wouldn't give up any potential pics from a camera used as repeater, because my entire system would be in the woods. But I understand that for others the camera/repeater might be right by a driveway or cattle crossing, where they have desired signal strengths but don't want pics. So they would select REPEATER to turn off the cam. I'm so glad we have the 2 Cudde threads on HT to supplement the manual.

Quick question? when I activate is the 30 day billing from activation date? Or is it the calendar month?

I have a camera which is often, but not always, triggering every 62 minutes on the dot. Usually 5-6 times in a row, then off for awhile, then again. Delay is set to 1min. Camera previously had some ants in the safe which were cleared out prior to this problem, they are not there now. Thoughts?

John,

Are cuddelink cams made in the USA? I says on ads and online they were designed in the USA but no mention anywhere that I can find where they are manufactured? The reason I ask is that when my current trail cam armada has run its course, I would like to buy American made.

Thank you in advance.

Willy

John,

Are cuddelink cams made in the USA? I says on ads and online they were designed in the USA but no mention anywhere that I can find where they are manufactured? The reason I ask is that when my current trail cam armada has run its course, I would like to buy American made.

Thank you in advance.

Willy
they are not, all the engineers , design , marketing etc are all usa.The vast majority of game cameras are all engineered in the orient, which is the main reason why Cuddeback technology is different than the rest. It would be impossible to manufacturer and source all parts in the US and hold the retail pricing we are at. Reconyx to my knowledge is the only USA made game camera.

I have a camera which is often, but not always, triggering every 62 minutes on the dot. Usually 5-6 times in a row, then off for awhile, then again. Delay is set to 1min. Camera previously had some ants in the safe which were cleared out prior to this problem, they are not there now. Thoughts?
the ants may have got inside the camera as well which ive seen before , they can enter thru a very small space , even the sd card slot. i would try changing your delay for a period of time or turning it off and then putting it at a different time.

Quick question? when I activate is the 30 day billing from activation date? Or is it the calendar month?
should be the activation date.

@john volkman is there a brochure that provides do's and don'ts for power supply?

I have a number of J's that are 4D or 6D powered and a few G's that are 4D powered and I am wondering if I have any limitations on which solar or external battery packs I can and cannot use. Also, if some cameras would be better served having rechargeable batteries instead of the standard rayovacs.

@john volkman is there a brochure that provides do's and don'ts for power supply?

I have a number of J's that are 4D or 6D powered and a few G's that are 4D powered and I am wondering if I have any limitations on which solar or external battery packs I can and cannot use. Also, if some cameras would be better served having rechargeable batteries instead of the standard rayovacs.
anytime you have a 6D or 12 aa camera and want to use a solar panel, the batteries need to be rechargeable . If its a 4D camera( J or G), you use alkaline with a 3600 solar panel or the new super shade solar. that jsut was released. In the case of 4d cameras, the internal batteries are just a backup to the solar battery.

anytime you have a 6D or 12 aa camera and want to use a solar panel, the batteries need to be rechargeable . If its a 4D camera( J or G), you use alkaline with a 3600 solar panel or the new super shade solar. that jsut was released. In the case of 4d cameras, the internal batteries are just a backup to the solar battery.
Thanks for the clarification, John!

there is a power guide but it wont let me upload the pdf, i can send it to you if you pm me your email

Thank you John. I appreciate you taking your time to answer that question. That's what I thought I was seeing when I researched it too.

My cameras, still using firmware 8.01, are getting higher link levels than they ever have this year - in the exact same location. Leaves and undergrowth are still think. Link levels are as high or higher than winter link levels with no leaves on the trees. What would have caused that?

My cameras, still using firmware 8.01, are getting higher link levels than they ever have this year - in the exact same location. Leaves and undergrowth are still think. Link levels are as high or higher than winter link levels with no leaves on the trees. What would have caused that?
atmospheric conditions can play big part, as can crop rotation - firmware cant effect the RF signal other than 8.3 helps randomize channels more so there is less chance of interference with other RF networks with other cuddeback networks and other types of radio signal devices.

For me - it was a game changer when the cuddelink system eliminated the need to drive around the farm pulling SD cards. The idea the new solar panels will further eliminate the need to drive around the farm to change out dead batteries is awesome. Saving time, money, and reducing scent on the cameras.

I was lucky enough to get one of the first batches, and installed a few yesterday. It’s interesting the instructions say to mount them vertically. I was tempted to try and mount them with an angle that would possibly gather more light, but the Instructions said they would work vertically, and it would help keep the snow off them - and that makes sense.

Some key spots will have batteries in the camera to act as backup if the solar cannot keep up, but some will be tried with the cameras battery compartment empty. If the solar proves to keep up at all locations, all camera batteries will eventually be removed, as it’s been suggested if unused they could eventually leak and cause damage.

I’ll keep you posted on results.

CC8F83AA-DFE2-4F8B-9449-62F2EF347E8F.jpeg

For me - it was a game changer when the cuddelink system eliminated the need to drive around the farm pulling SD cards. The idea the new solar panels will further eliminate the need to drive around the farm to change out dead batteries is awesome. Saving time, money, and reducing scent on the cameras.

I was lucky enough to get one of the first batches, and installed a few yesterday. It’s interesting the instructions say to mount them vertically. I was tempted to try and mount them with an angle that would possibly gather more light, but the Instructions said they would work vertically, and it would help keep the snow off them - and that makes sense.

Some key spots will have batteries in the camera to act as backup if the solar cannot keep up, but some will be tried with the cameras battery compartment empty. If the solar proves to keep up at all locations, all camera batteries will eventually be removed, as it’s been suggested if unused they could eventually leak and cause damage.

I’ll keep you posted on results.

View attachment 45833
What was the price of the new solar unit?