Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

Hello all - new to this discussion. has anyone had experience running the Cuddelink for six months (or more) with external 12V battery? I am running three - Cuddeback J-1521 and one Cuddeback G-5147 all linked together using the Cuddelink system. Conservatively, I think I should plan to get 1.5 months out of each camera (with 4X D cell batteries). Two of my cameras died yesterday at exactly 70 days. Customer support suggested that get their power cable to connect to the 12V battery, but I just don't know what size... 7AH, 10AH, 12AH, 20AH. Not sure if I can use solar as cameras are placed in very wooded areas. PS: sorry John V for tracking you down on LI.
I was running a similar system last year. I had 15 total Js, Gs, and my K all running with 12v 9mah external batteries. I can dig up some photos if you're interested in the setup. I was getting at least 3 months for all cameras but the K during the late fall/early winter (in northern MO). I think some cameras were 6-7 months if they were Js and were taking 3-5 photos a day with a good connection. The batteries I was using did great in warm to cold weather. My biggest issue was that the lead batteries would get too low and because I don't live on site, could not change them out before they got too low. I'm fairly certain I killed several of the batteries by letting them get too low in the winter. What started out as an effort to save D batteries from being "wasted", I ended up burning through several 12v batteries. They might be salvaged with a de-salinator, but unless they can be incorporated into the solar setup, they just aren't feasible for me. Me not being on site is the only reason for failure for this setup. Now, I have the solar kit for every camera. I'm not putting cameras out until about the first of September-many of which are in deep timber. This worked pretty well this year for most as the solar kits and then internal batteries allowed the cameras to last until now. The only cameras that have gotten even remotely low are the white flash Gs, but even they are still going strong after 3.25 months.

Anyone else having random issues with Cuddeback? In the last 3-4 months I've had cameras randomly drop off the network (though when you go to the camera they are still on and armed). I have two cameras that appear on my daily report emailed to me...and yet on camp they don't appear. And despite having solar, I am getting a lot of intermittent power issues. I've had some missing pics (on camp, never received via text/email). Never had these issues before...just started in the last 3-4 months. Is there something going on?

Only thought I have is I recently expanded my network and am pushing now 18 cameras. The problems started after I made the jump from 14 cameras.

Hello all - new to this discussion. has anyone had experience running the Cuddelink for six months (or more) with external 12V battery? I am running three - Cuddeback J-1521 and one Cuddeback G-5147 all linked together using the Cuddelink system. Conservatively, I think I should plan to get 1.5 months out of each camera (with 4X D cell batteries). Two of my cameras died yesterday at exactly 70 days. Customer support suggested that get their power cable to connect to the 12V battery, but I just don't know what size... 7AH, 10AH, 12AH, 20AH. Not sure if I can use solar as cameras are placed in very wooded areas. PS: sorry John V for tracking you down on LI.
You might be surprised how little "direct sunlight" is required. I have a couple of cameras in a wooded canyon that have lived off of solar for 500+ days.

Anyone else having random issues with Cuddeback?
Cuddeback (and camp) appears to be pushing out images via email and camp with no complications recently (other than batteries going dead) - attempting to rectify that situation now.

You might be surprised how little "direct sunlight" is required. I have a couple of cameras in a wooded canyon that have lived off of solar for 500+ days.
this helps a lot. Wooded environment is our biggest concern. Winter should be pretty good as we have mostly deciduous trees (leaves have fallen by October), but summer is our concern. I might just have to conduct a better site assessment to evaluate how much sun gets through and experiment with a solar set up. Are you using the Cuddeback Solar Power Bank Model PW-3600 or some other off the shelf product?

this helps a lot. Wooded environment is our biggest concern. Winter should be pretty good as we have mostly deciduous trees (leaves have fallen by October), but summer is our concern. I might just have to conduct a better site assessment to evaluate how much sun gets through and experiment with a solar set up. Are you using the Cuddeback Solar Power Bank Model PW-3600 or some other off the shelf product?
I'm using PW-3600...with the standard 2 ft cord. I have purchased the 10ft cord thinking I might need to make the switch, but thus far...I haven't had any issues.

I was running a similar system last year. I had 15 total Js, Gs, and my K all running with 12v 9mah external batteries. I can dig up some photos if you're interested in the setup. I was getting at least 3 months for all cameras but the K during the late fall/early winter (in northern MO). I think some cameras were 6-7 months if they were Js and were taking 3-5 photos a day with a good connection. The batteries I was using did great in warm to cold weather. My biggest issue was that the lead batteries would get too low and because I don't live on site, could not change them out before they got too low. I'm fairly certain I killed several of the batteries by letting them get too low in the winter. What started out as an effort to save D batteries from being "wasted", I ended up burning through several 12v batteries. They might be salvaged with a de-salinator, but unless they can be incorporated into the solar setup, they just aren't feasible for me. Me not being on site is the only reason for failure for this setup. Now, I have the solar kit for every camera. I'm not putting cameras out until about the first of September-many of which are in deep timber. This worked pretty well this year for most as the solar kits and then internal batteries allowed the cameras to last until now. The only cameras that have gotten even remotely low are the white flash Gs, but even they are still going strong after 3.25 months.
just curious... if you had upgraded from the 9Ah battery to (lets say) a 12 or 20Ah battery, do you think they all could have lasted for six months without going dead? Yes, a photo of your setup would be appreciated if it not too much trouble. What solar kit are you using - Cuddeback Solar Power Bank Model PW-3600 or some other off the shelf product? We are also considering solar.

Anyone else having random issues with Cuddeback? In the last 3-4 months I've had cameras randomly drop off the network (though when you go to the camera they are still on and armed). I have two cameras that appear on my daily report emailed to me...and yet on camp they don't appear. And despite having solar, I am getting a lot of intermittent power issues. I've had some missing pics (on camp, never received via text/email). Never had these issues before...just started in the last 3-4 months. Is there something going on?

Only thought I have is I recently expanded my network and am pushing now 18 cameras. The problems started after I made the jump from 14 cameras.
After adding the cameras, did you adjust the "LINK COUNT"? Available settings are, "ALL, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500." You might need to set this to 50 per Cuddeback as this would impact photo delivery.

Per Cuddeback, Recommendation – we recommend using the formula 1000 divided by the number of cameras. For example, if you have 10 cameras deployed, then 1000/10 = 100. Set LINK COUNT to 100
on all cameras.

Stuck with the recommended setting

you can change them online if you wish (see image below) Also, see previous post with more information - I accidentally sent a partial / second message.

Attachments

• link count.JPG
    link count.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 8
you can change them online if you wish (see image below) Also, see previous post with more information - I accidentally sent a partial / second message.
That is what I stuck with...

just curious... if you had upgraded from the 9Ah battery to (lets say) a 12 or 20Ah battery, do you think they all could have lasted for six months without going dead? Yes, a photo of your setup would be appreciated if it not too much trouble. What solar kit are you using - Cuddeback Solar Power Bank Model PW-3600 or some other off the shelf product? We are also considering solar.
IMG_20200525_185030.jpg
This was the setup. The ammo boxes I got from Menards ($5/each) and are plastic. I spray painted them and had to cut a notch for the metal cable to be able to enter the sealed box. I then used silicone caulk to seal up the notch to make sure ants couldn't get in (some did on several boxes anyways because I did a poor job with the seal). I had at one time thought about using daisy-chained batteries to increase the storage capacity. This would have been two 9 mah batteries together to provide 18 mah. I can't say for sure if it would have extended the battery lives. As it was, I had several on the 12v 9mah make it from September to March through a very cold winter. You could probably extend this if you increased battery size, but I don't have a large enough sample size to say for sure.

I am currently using the 3600 solar pack and I put all of these out in August/September in a mostly deciduous forest. So far, I have only had issues with the white flash cameras not getting enough charge from the solar panels (and this occurred in September), but these cameras were also placed in high-traffic areas. This spring/summer, I plan on adding in the 12v batteries mentioned above with a splitter that would go to the solar charger and to the camera - so that the external 12v batteries would act as a dual battery bank. I am really trying to cut down on the D batteries because I just think it is wasteful, but that is yet to be determined if it will work. Ultimately, I don't really plan on keeping cameras out for the summer months (in the timber areas) because I think it doesn't really provide that much value and the summer months seem to add a lot of wear and tear on all cameras.

View attachment 39208
This was the setup. The ammo boxes I got from Menards ($5/each) and are plastic. I spray painted them and had to cut a notch for the metal cable to be able to enter the sealed box. I then used silicone caulk to seal up the notch to make sure ants couldn't get in (some did on several boxes anyways because I did a poor job with the seal). I had at one time thought about using daisy-chained batteries to increase the storage capacity. This would have been two 9 mah batteries together to provide 18 mah. I can't say for sure if it would have extended the battery lives. As it was, I had several on the 12v 9mah make it from September to March through a very cold winter. You could probably extend this if you increased battery size, but I don't have a large enough sample size to say for sure.

I am currently using the 3600 solar pack and I put all of these out in August/September in a mostly deciduous forest. So far, I have only had issues with the white flash cameras not getting enough charge from the solar panels (and this occurred in September), but these cameras were also placed in high-traffic areas. This spring/summer, I plan on adding in the 12v batteries mentioned above with a splitter that would go to the solar charger and to the camera - so that the external 12v batteries would act as a dual battery bank. I am really trying to cut down on the D batteries because I just think it is wasteful, but that is yet to be determined if it will work. Ultimately, I don't really plan on keeping cameras out for the summer months (in the timber areas) because I think it doesn't really provide that much value and the summer months seem to add a lot of wear and tear on all cameras.
your two set ups sound pretty good - I appreciate your feedback and details for how you built them. I am also remote from the cameras and hope to get up to them in January. I have a few parts on order and will get two experiments going:

SET UP #1: 20 watt / 12V solar panel, 12Ah battery, and charge controller (if this works, I can build this one for about $105 plus the $15 voltage regulating cable from the camera supplier). Note: I think the 20 watt solar panel is overkill, but given that they will be placed on wooded environments (like yours), I might not get as much sun as I would like.

SET UP #2: stand alone, 20Ah battery (if this works, I can build this one for about $40 plus the $15 voltage regulating cable from the camera supplier). If I need to add solar, this would be another $75 for the panel and controller.

Based on my experience over the Spring, I will update / adapt. I would very much appreciate being able to follow along with your progress and compare notes along the way if you are interested. My next challenge is to build some type of bracket or rack to hold the solar panel. I also hope to get the battery boxes up off the ground (we'll see).

your two set ups sound pretty good - I appreciate your feedback and details for how you built them. I am also remote from the cameras and hope to get up to them in January. I have a few parts on order and will get two experiments going:

SET UP #1: 20 watt / 12V solar panel, 12Ah battery, and charge controller (if this works, I can build this one for about $105 plus the $15 voltage regulating cable from the camera supplier). Note: I think the 20 watt solar panel is overkill, but given that they will be placed on wooded environments (like yours), I might not get as much sun as I would like.

SET UP #2: stand alone, 20Ah battery (if this works, I can build this one for about $40 plus the $15 voltage regulating cable from the camera supplier). If I need to add solar, this would be another $75 for the panel and controller.

Based on my experience over the Spring, I will update / adapt. I would very much appreciate being able to follow along with your progress and compare notes along the way if you are interested. My next challenge is to build some type of bracket or rack to hold the solar panel. I also hope to get the battery boxes up off the ground (we'll see).
We can start a new thread on the forum, otherwise we can just keep tracking the updates here, but I'm interested to hear your progress too.

I like your idea of a larger solar panel in the timber. My first thought is how are you going to connect your camera/batteries/solar panel together? Ants and moisture are the enemy throughout the summer and if you don't have a perfectly sealed connection, they will absolutely get in. Permetherin helps but eventually it washes away. I am designing my setup with using the Cuddeback power cables in mind. It's not clear yet if my setup will work. I will have to create the splice and monitor the voltage going in and coming out. I will document everything and report back. I'm considering having two cameras out in the same area with differing power setups for a more true comparison. You may benefit from doing the same. The connection level and camera usage have dramatic impacts on the power usage and this would be the best way of evaluating setups.

ive seen better success using solar than the external 12volts , unless the 12volt are large, then you may have success, that said you would still need to recharge them every 6 -10 months , i have solar units lasting almost 2 years without touching them. THere is a new panel we are bringing out that will work in tree canopy as well ,

ive seen better success using solar than the external 12volts , unless the 12volt are large, then you may have success, that said you would still need to recharge them every 6 -10 months , i have solar units lasting almost 2 years without touching them. THere is a new panel we are bringing out that will work in tree canopy as well ,
That is the impression that I am getting too (solar is the way to go for the long term). If a larger battery comes even close to working (without solar), agreed that some frequency of recharging will be required. Look forward to seeing the new panel that you mention. This spring, Hoytvectrix and I plan to deploy some varied options to experiment with (some with solar and some without). I also did talk to ExpertPower and they were suggesting 55Ah to 100Ah batteries to handle the WI temperatures and get out past six months of run time. As you started this "Gen 2" thread... I was thinking that I might start a new thread to follow our experiments. Something like, "Cuddeback external battery and solar run times". Thoughts? Would appreciate your input and participation along the way.

We can start a new thread on the forum, otherwise we can just keep tracking the updates here, but I'm interested to hear your progress too.

I like your idea of a larger solar panel in the timber. My first thought is how are you going to connect your camera/batteries/solar panel together? Ants and moisture are the enemy throughout the summer and if you don't have a perfectly sealed connection, they will absolutely get in. Permetherin helps but eventually it washes away. I am designing my setup with using the Cuddeback power cables in mind. It's not clear yet if my setup will work. I will have to create the splice and monitor the voltage going in and coming out. I will document everything and report back. I'm considering having two cameras out in the same area with differing power setups for a more true comparison. You may benefit from doing the same. The connection level and camera usage have dramatic impacts on the power usage and this would be the best way of evaluating setups.
I am thinking a new thread, but have asked John V to weigh in since he started this thread. I found some rubber grommets at the hardware store to hopefully help with ants. I too am using the Cuddeback Power cables (just came in the mail this week) - getting the right voltage to the camera is critical (I think). I know this system is small, but I plan to use a Solar charge controller to regulate the voltage (not sure if it will give me all the information I need (Nature Power 8 Amp Charge Controller). The charge controller appears to have separate leads to both the solar panel and the battery. I'll consider setting up the cameras in similar locations. Concept one line wiring diagram attached.

Attachments

• 2021-12-11 ONE LINE CONCEPT.JPG
    2021-12-11 ONE LINE CONCEPT.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I am receiving the same packet of pictures multiple times starting this morning. One group of 16 photos and one group of 15 photos. Received both five times over the course of several hours. First time it has ever done that. Any way to make it stop? Turn of the K cam and back on to reset maybe?

I am receiving the same packet of pictures multiple times starting this morning. One group of 16 photos and one group of 15 photos. Received both five times over the course of several hours. First time it has ever done that. Any way to make it stop? Turn of the K cam and back on to reset maybe?
Clear the Queue on cameras affected. You may also need to clear the SD images on each.

Clear the Queue on cameras affected. You may also need to clear the SD images on each.
Pictures from all four of my remote cameras are included in the repeat sendings. Still going on - about every thirty minutes