Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

Okay, I like external batteries. I got 12v Cuddeback cables for my Js. Started using them here at house. One cam died within a week to 10 days. Started back, wrong date/time, then quit for good. Cudde replaced cable. Finally took cams to lease today, one quit, came back, quit. Not sure if it's original or replaced cable. Using sealed lead acid battery, 7.5ah, 12.5 volts output, no internal batteries, 6d pack, cam set to 4d internal so it recognizes the 8.85v it's getting as external source. Could cam be pulling too much power for voltage converter in cable, heating up, quiting, cooling coming back till it quits for good? Would cams operate using straight cable with 6v battery like my C3s?

For neighboring networks, what channels are the furthest apart to minimize potential interference?

Okay, I like external batteries. I got 12v Cuddeback cables for my Js. Started using them here at house. One cam died within a week to 10 days. Started back, wrong date/time, then quit for good. Cudde replaced cable. Finally took cams to lease today, one quit, came back, quit. Not sure if it's original or replaced cable. Using sealed lead acid battery, 7.5ah, 12.5 volts output, no internal batteries, 6d pack, cam set to 4d internal so it recognizes the 8.85v it's getting as external source. Could cam be pulling too much power for voltage converter in cable, heating up, quiting, cooling coming back till it quits for good? Would cams operate using straight cable with 6v battery like my C3s?
this sounds like a cable issue if its doing as you described.

For neighboring networks, what channels are the furthest apart to minimize potential interference?
keep the two numbers apart by at least 8, an example would be 04-18 on one network and 12-30 on another, I run two networks across the road from each other on 07-17 and 08-18 without issue. the important point is to not set channels like many do, as 01-01 , 03-03 , etc. i see that all the time. You dont need to remember the channel since it will be on every camera and the top of each report and also on camp, i assume users are setting channels this way thinking they need to remember the channel easily.

this sounds like a cable issue if its doing as you described.
John, cable is working for now, system at lease and reporting. A few questions.
1. Changed some delay times remotely. Details show current and change times the same, status pending. Appears change took place. Seems like camp just hasn't received a line of code to update to "current".
2. What's a K model, I've seen them mentioned, for sale used but not new. I'm assuming they were an interim model and discontinued.
3. What are the primary advantages of the G over J series.
Still working to get up to speed with my knowledge on the systems. My aircraft maintenance background makes me want to know how things tick.
Oh, ever heard of using a flag pole to get better home or repeater reception?
Jon

John, cable is working for now, system at lease and reporting. A few questions.
1. Changed some delay times remotely. Details show current and change times the same, status pending. Appears change took place. Seems like camp just hasn't received a line of code to update to "current".
2. What's a K model, I've seen them mentioned, for sale used but not new. I'm assuming they were an interim model and discontinued.
3. What are the primary advantages of the G over J series.
Still working to get up to speed with my knowledge on the systems. My aircraft maintenance background makes me want to know how things tick.
Oh, ever heard of using a flag pole to get better home or repeater reception?
Jon
1. if you changed aspect that function isnt working and will show pending. also if you changed something that was already at that setting it would show pending.
2. K was dsconintued in 2020, only difference was it ran on 6 d cells and that didnt allow proper reporting when using external power.
3. G Has replaceable and more powerful flash modules, and the electronics are coated differently.
The flag pole idea would help in the case of RF signal since it woudl improve the line fo sight distance in many cases.

Hada network that went dead on me over 7 weeks ago. Finally got back home today for Thanksgiving and ran down there to check it out. K cell cam showed error 45, now i cant get anything on screen and the arm lights flash. Removed batteries and reset, still same problem.....

Hada network that went dead on me over 7 weeks ago. Finally got back home today for Thanksgiving and ran down there to check it out. K cell cam showed error 45, now i cant get anything on screen and the arm lights flash. Removed batteries and reset, still same problem.....
After a few minutes of arm flashing, it now says error 04.

After a few minutes of arm flashing, it now says error 04.
both of those errors are battery errors, take them out and make sure the screen is completely blank, give it 10 minutes at least, put NEW rayovac high energy alkaline in it and see if it will power up.

both of those errors are battery errors, take them out and make sure the screen is completely blank, give it 10 minutes at least, put NEW rayovac high energy alkaline in it and see if it will power up.
Ive got them all working again. Thanks so much for help!

External power question. J series cams with 12AA packs, put in rechargeable Nimh batteries, attach 5301 solar panels, and 9vdc entering external plug is directed to internal AAs to recharge them. Correct???
Now, Js with 6D pack with alkaline batteries and external 12vdc battery, using 12v to 9v Cuddeback cable plugged into battery pack. Will incoming current be directed to internal batteries, or power camera leaving internals as backup?? Note that I follow steps of powering up dead camera from external power before installing D's into 6D pack.
The logic used by cameras to pick power source, and procedures for hookup isn't clearly spelled out. After seeing heat at external battery and internal 6D pack with my FLIR, I have left internal bays empty as a precaution. Would like internals as a backup in the future. Thanks Jon.

External power question. J series cams with 12AA packs, put in rechargeable Nimh batteries, attach 5301 solar panels, and 9vdc entering external plug is directed to internal AAs to recharge them. Correct???
Now, Js with 6D pack with alkaline batteries and external 12vdc battery, using 12v to 9v Cuddeback cable plugged into battery pack. Will incoming current be directed to internal batteries, or power camera leaving internals as backup?? Note that I follow steps of powering up dead camera from external power before installing D's into 6D pack.
The logic used by cameras to pick power source, and procedures for hookup isn't clearly spelled out. After seeing heat at external battery and internal 6D pack with my FLIR, I have left internal bays empty as a precaution. Would like internals as a backup in the future. Thanks Jon.
As far as the external 12 volts are concerned, you can use the cameras with internal D's. I have done this with both the 6 and 4 D packs on the backs of the J's. With the 12 AA's. you definitely cannot keep them in if you are using an external power source. I did have one J camera with the 6-D pack with internals get a little too hot from a cuddeback solar kit, but that was a one-off instance. Since then, I have had no issues.

To be safe i would not run an external power source unless the camera has a 4d internal pack on it or its empty. You dont want matching voltage that can fluctuate in both internal and external. What can happen is the internal tries to charge the external if the voltage gets lower than the internal and this can ruin both batteries and batterie packs. The 3501 panel doesnt have a battery in it so all it does it top off the 12aa rechargeables so that isnt an issue. The 6 d internal back is deigned to be run alone without an external pack. 4D internal packs work with all the external sources because its only 6 votes and everything else is higher, thus it only acts as a back up. The 3600 panel has a battery in it and its higher than 6 volts so the internals are just back up.

To be safe i would not run an external power source unless the camera has a 4d internal pack on it or its empty. You dont want matching voltage that can fluctuate in both internal and external. What can happen is the internal tries to charge the external if the voltage gets lower than the internal and this can ruin both batteries and batterie packs. The 3501 panel doesnt have a battery in it so all it does it top off the 12aa rechargeables so that isnt an issue. The 6 d internal back is deigned to be run alone without an external pack. 4D internal packs work with all the external sources because its only 6 votes and everything else is higher, thus it only acts as a back up. The 3600 panel has a battery in it and its higher than 6 volts so the internals are just back up.
It was a 6D that got warm, so good to know. Just picked up some Js with AA and solar, going to add to network. So far, I'm a big fan. Jon

John V,
I've been monitoring Facebook users and Q&A pages. I've noticed confusion on external power configurations. Folks are using 3501s with alkaline batteries in 4d and 6d packs, 3600s with 6d packs, etc. I looked at Cuddeback site under power options and support and can't find any rules, explanations, or procedures. Maybe you guys could create a flow chart showing approved configurations or power options manuel. You could send it via email to registered owners and camp account holders. More info makes happy customers. Start a newsletter with what's in the works, troubleshooting tips from issues you guys pickup on here, Facebook, emails and phone. Do's and do not's. Troubleshooting trees. Success stories. Jon

John V,
I've been monitoring Facebook users and Q&A pages. I've noticed confusion on external power configurations. Folks are using 3501s with alkaline batteries in 4d and 6d packs, 3600s with 6d packs, etc. I looked at Cuddeback site under power options and support and can't find any rules, explanations, or procedures. Maybe you guys could create a flow chart showing approved configurations or power options manuel. You could send it via email to registered owners and camp account holders. More info makes happy customers. Start a newsletter with what's in the works, troubleshooting tips from issues you guys pickup on here, Facebook, emails and phone. Do's and do not's. Troubleshooting trees. Success stories. Jon
Go to Cuddeback Users of America and look under Files at the top of page you will find a pdf on Power guide.

Attachments

• CuddebackPowerGuide (1).pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 20
Go to Cuddeback Users of America and look under Files at the top of page you will find a pdf on Power guide.
Thanks, had no idea files were there. Not sure if I missed these files at Cuddeback website. I'm using 12v cord on some Js, not shown on file, I'm leaving internals empty. I just picked up some Js with 12AA and 3501 panels. Guy had the 110v chargers. The instruction sheet says to install batteries in cam, plug in for 12hrs. The file you mentioned says to remove battery pack from camera when using wall charger.
The SD card file is good info also. I've started keeping my C2 cards separate from other cam cards, though never had issues with them.
Thanks again.

My
Thanks, had no idea files were there. Not sure if I missed these files at Cuddeback website. I'm using 12v cord on some Js, not shown on file, I'm leaving internals empty. I just picked up some Js with 12AA and 3501 panels. Guy had the 110v chargers. The instruction sheet says to install batteries in cam, plug in for 12hrs. The file you mentioned says to remove battery pack from camera when using wall charger.
The SD card file is good info also. I've started keeping my C2 cards separate from other cam cards, though never had issues with them.
Thanks again.
My pleasure.

Hello all - new to this discussion. has anyone had experience running the Cuddelink for six months (or more) with external 12V battery? I am running three - Cuddeback J-1521 and one Cuddeback G-5147 all linked together using the Cuddelink system. Conservatively, I think I should plan to get 1.5 months out of each camera (with 4X D cell batteries). Two of my cameras died yesterday at exactly 70 days. Customer support suggested that get their power cable to connect to the 12V battery, but I just don't know what size... 7AH, 10AH, 12AH, 20AH. Not sure if I can use solar as cameras are placed in very wooded areas. PS: sorry John V for tracking you down on LI.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 7