Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

Ok....been having tons of issues with Cuddelinks now in year 3. Over %60 failure rate on 23 cameras, not a good average. It's a pain going in/out to the fie;d for troubleshooting and having to pay shipping to send back lemons. The 5 J's(I assume stand for Junk) all had to be sent back. Majority of the issues with the J's is they one day decide to start taking pics at a certain time of the day and nothing else. For me it's between 7:30 and 8am. This happened on all 5 J's I own, hardly random. Now they are out of warranty, I'm pretty much S.O.L and either replace with new at a whopping %30 discount or trash 'em where they belong. This goes without saying the horrible sensors and slow trigger on the J's...feel like I got fleeced even owning one. How they can keep these on the shelves knowing the failure rates is beyond me.

Latest issue is my K Home camera. It's taking pics and writing them to the sd card, it's transmitting pics from the other cams without any issues. However....it was not sending the pics the home camera took on the emails I receive every hour. I know it's taking pics without any issues. I see the "image" flashing when I open the cover and the pics are on the sd card. I changed the sd card ac couple times in the past week wondering what was going. The home cam pics where there but not being sent. Why weren't the home cam pictures being sent along with the rest of the batch? Seems like a transmission error would be my guess. I double checked all settings to see if I inadvertently changed something. I did not.

I called CS this morning, was told I need to be on site to run a few tests. Make the trek out there, tests are run, can't find anything wrong. The snarky CS gal asks how I view my pics....."I pull the card out, pop it in a usb card reader, plug the usb into my PC"....how should I be viewing them...she exclaims "on your computer" ...isn't that what I just said. She obviously has a listening comprehension problem. Then I'm asked what card reader I use? Are you serious? The same card reader that I use to view hundreds of thousands of pics every year. I don't have issues with my cards on any cameras and basically use a rotation of 60-70 cards on all my cams, some are Cuddebacks, most are other brands. Never any any issues outside of a "check SD" every blue moon. I guess I fail to see how a card reader, same one I've been using for a while without any issues, has any bearing on why the home cam pics are not being sent along with the rest of the pack. I have swapped cards twice before calling in to be sure it wasn't a corrupted card. At some point CS needs to realize that it's most likely the cheap chinese componlty ents Cuddeback uses and not the end users fault.

I most likely have to send the K-home cam in for repair, fine I'm ok with that. I ask is my cam under warranty? She walks me through the settings to find purchase and start dates I'm guessing on the info area of the cam. I'm then put on hold for 10 minutes standing next to the camera on a pretty cold Wisconsin day, sweet! She comes back and tells me my warranty ran out a little over 2 months ago. I don't have much of a choice to fix the home cam as it's needed to protect my investment in the other cams but I'm pretty sure I'm done giving Cuddeback any more money. Cheap Chinese components that are unreliable, poor CS....same ol' Cuddy. Should have learned my lesson 15 years ago. Waaaay better options out there to whoever reads this and is thinking of investing in a 20+ cam system.

Now that I'm home and writing this there are pics of me talking to the Cudde CS walking around in front of the camera that were sent in the last normal batch emails. Hopefully whatever test she ran or did while we were talking worked because they are the first pics sent from that cam in weeks. I will see if that cam continues to transmit without issues or if it randomly stops again. Still a dog and pony show dealing with CS.
I did a quick search of your previous posts if im reading them correctly you previously had issues with your battery packs because you ran lithium aa's in the cameras and alkaline in the battery packs ? are you just looking to vent here or need help? IF you need help - and you want to share your name, ill check the CS transcripts to see if the people that tried to help you weren't professional to you , everything is recorded. The reason why she asked about your card reader, is that many card readers and/or viewers can reformat sd cards which then in turn wont work correctly in some cameras including ours. I noticed you like to focus on the chinese component aspect, there are virtually ZERO trail cameras that dont have chinese components in them so you wont have much luck finding one that doesnt. There isnt any Test she could have run remotely that would magically get your cell camera to start sending. If there was a setting set incorrectly she could have adjusted that to a new setting remotely and that may have helped but the settings would have originally been set by you and not cuddeback. From your previous posts and especially this one you seem very unhappy with the system and especially the chinese "components" that are used. You also stated there is way better options, if you dont want help figuring it out and want to get out of your system used units actually sell very quickly on facebook and i think you could get out of them very quickly to end your frustration.

its likely your cell unit is off line for some reason, battery is one of those possibilities.
Random question. My cell unit is quite remote, but it is also possible that the unit was turned off and removed without my knowledge (offline for some reason or battery failure is the most likely scenario). Should I find that it is missing, is it possible that with the ICCID, SN, or the IMEI numbers, it could be located (should it be turned on in the future). I will not know for sure until I can get back up there in the next few months.

Random question. My cell unit is quite remote, but it is also possible that the unit was turned off and removed without my knowledge (offline for some reason or battery failure is the most likely scenario). Should I find that it is missing, is it possible that with the ICCID, SN, or the IMEI numbers, it could be located (should it be turned on in the future). I will not know for sure until I can get back up there in the next few months.
A good friend had her gate camera (not the home cell unit) stolen last week. Cuddelink told her if the thief connects it to another cell unit, it can be detected by Cuddylink! This is awesome news and I hope it lands the camera thieves where I think they belong (But if the thief uses it as a stand alone camera, and does not connect it to a home/cell unit, there is nothing to be detected.) So I’m sure your cell unit can be detected should a thief turn it on and allow it to connect to the cellular network. And if the police are so inclined, I’m sure they can triangulate a fairly close location.

Good luck, and hope it’s just dead batteries.

[mention]john volkman [/mention] I saw a pdf somewhere of the best solar/extra battery for each unit combinations. I can’t locate where I saw it now, and Google search isn’t showing anything up. Could you point me to the right direction? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[mention]john volkman [/mention] I saw a pdf somewhere of the best solar/extra battery for each unit combinations. I can’t locate where I saw it now, and Google search isn’t showing anything up. Could you point me to the right direction? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dec 5, 2021 - post # 1,437, @Trlblzr3 posted it. He said he found it at, "Go to Cuddeback Users of America and look under Files at the top of page you will find a pdf on Power guide."

Attachments

• CuddebackPowerGuide.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
you can't locate it with those numbers but if you modify your plan and suspend it if the person who took it tries to activate it they would need to contact cuddeback. if you find that it was stolen i would suspend the plan and let CS know that it was stolen.

you can't locate it with those numbers but if you modify your plan and suspend it if the person who took it tries to activate it they would need to contact cuddeback. if you find that it was stolen i would suspend the plan and let CS know that it was stolen.
ok. Thanks... hopefully, it is just the battery that died, and the camera is intact (right where I left it). Mostly, I was just curious... I also figured that should they (if it were taken) turn it on, I would start getting remote pictures of someone else's property via email - now that would be interesting!

ok. Thanks... hopefully, it is just the battery that died, and the camera is intact (right where I left it). Mostly, I was just curious... I also figured that should they (if it were taken) turn it on, I would start getting remote pictures of someone else's property via email - now that would be interesting!
thats a possibility...... or better yet their face setting it up !

Last edited:
everything looks good on your report , Camp version should be most accurate.i would order at least one new antenna or two or swap with a non hinged antenna(current version) if you have any, ive seen instances where moisture got into the hinged version and then freezing caused issues. A different SD card or swapping them out in the problem cameras might be worth a try too. Only other thing may be another network sharing a channel or one of your numbers but that seems unlikely given what you have it set up as.
Ok, all cams show on email not on Camp. The problem cams keep 0 for battery days on email, telling me the email reports are last report updated with new changes. If no changes posting, then rinse and repeat last report. I need to go get the problem cams and bring home and use my additional G-0 home/cell to troubleshoot. They will test fine, link up, send picks of me setting them up, then quit when I leave. Guess they're scared of the woods.
Now, new stuff.
1. Good old #7, guess I should name it Jack Daniels. On new years it had error 45, and yes external battery bad. Moved it, put on new battery and set it 150 yds from home unit, which can be seen in the single pic it took and sent. After Welcome screen and fixing time/date I went to TEST menu. The first choice was "FOCUS". Hit arrow up, went busy, then some 3 letters for next test. More button a few times and got to regular test options. What the heck? I figure it was some menu options for bench testing back at shop.
2. Massey field cam placed between my best stand and home to relay. I put two J's in stand food plot. I power up one (six n), links up with Massey, go 50 yds out, place six s, it links at 99, go back to six n, double arrow to check link level and 99 to cam furthest from home. When I checked it, I'm thinking it paused, so furthest linked to Massey and strongest link for cam in between to search out. Confused yet? So, leads to question, can a J set as remote become link for TWO more distant remotes at same time? Or does last one linked just automatically go to strongest signal, no matter how long it makes the link chain? If I make the Massey J into a repeater would it be different?
3. I understand the concept of removing repeater option from G home cameras. I have another G non- camera (cost as much as Gs with powerhouse) with cell cap. Only have one distant lease, so it's collecting dust. Any options?
4. For all the technology and work, Cuddelink won't draw in a shooter buck, dang it. Thanks, JON J

I cannot comment too much and not sure if my issue is related. Lost ALL four cameras on 12/19 in camp and NO reports since then, but I think this is a battery problem that I hope to fix on my next visit.
I'm learning how to hold my mouth just right, stroke each cameras' ego, and pat it on the back, before I leave to come home, so I don't have to go back. Sometimes feel like the Dutch boy trying to plug leaks in the dike. JON J

Ok, all cams show on email not on Camp. The problem cams keep 0 for battery days on email, telling me the email reports are last report updated with new changes. If no changes posting, then rinse and repeat last report. I need to go get the problem cams and bring home and use my additional G-0 home/cell to troubleshoot. They will test fine, link up, send picks of me setting them up, then quit when I leave. Guess they're scared of the woods.
Now, new stuff.
1. Good old #7, guess I should name it Jack Daniels. On new years it had error 45, and yes external battery bad. Moved it, put on new battery and set it 150 yds from home unit, which can be seen in the single pic it took and sent. After Welcome screen and fixing time/date I went to TEST menu. The first choice was "FOCUS". Hit arrow up, went busy, then some 3 letters for next test. More button a few times and got to regular test options. What the heck? I figure it was some menu options for bench testing back at shop.
2. Massey field cam placed between my best stand and home to relay. I put two J's in stand food plot. I power up one (six n), links up with Massey, go 50 yds out, place six s, it links at 99, go back to six n, double arrow to check link level and 99 to cam furthest from home. When I checked it, I'm thinking it paused, so furthest linked to Massey and strongest link for cam in between to search out. Confused yet? So, leads to question, can a J set as remote become link for TWO more distant remotes at same time? Or does last one linked just automatically go to strongest signal, no matter how long it makes the link chain? If I make the Massey J into a repeater would it be different?
3. I understand the concept of removing repeater option from G home cameras. I have another G non- camera (cost as much as Gs with powerhouse) with cell cap. Only have one distant lease, so it's collecting dust. Any options?
4. For all the technology and work, Cuddelink won't draw in a shooter buck, dang it. Thanks, JON J
im really struggling to understand what you are asking and its hard for me to follow , it might be better to get someone on the phone with you. But im going to give it a try . Im hoping you tried a new antenna on the problem units if they are hinged. if they link and send pics they shouldnt just stop when you leave . The only other reason could be if a neighbor is using the same channel or at least one of your numbers.
1. yes that is likely what happened , to test you use the 'more' button to get where you need to once you are in" TEST" MODE then use the up or down arrow not the up down first like you did .
2. dont be concerned about trying to link a specific camera thru another specific camera , the system will figure that out, all you need to do is set up your home first , arm it , then do ONE remote at a time , check for a CL level on each remote as you deploy them, if its cl level is 20 or higher , arm it and THEN power up the next remote and do the same , keep doing each remote one at a time until you are done. yes, any remote camera j or G can be a link for more than one camera , it could link 20 of them if it had to.
3. I would sell this unit , it has to be a home, either cell or non cell but it has to be a home.
4.cant help you with this one , i have a hard enough time killing them myself.

Last edited:
Anybody use surveillance mode for cam setup in the field? I want more than one pic taken when an animal trips the camera. It is rare I get more than one pic of a deer, the same deer when I know they are in front of the camera for plenty of time. IE. set on a scrape/lickoing tree. I have it currently set on ez mode.

If there is a way to get more pics taken during a trigger event. please share as if I don't know what I'm doing, because I probably don't.

Thank you.

im really struggling to understand what you are asking and its hard for me to follow , it might be better to get someone on the phone with you. But im going to give it a try . Im hoping you tried a new antenna on the problem units if they are hinged. if they link and send pics they shouldnt just stop when you leave . The only other reason could be if a neighbor is using the same channel or at least one of your numbers.
1. yes that is likely what happened , to test you use the 'more' button to get where you need to once you are in" TEST" MODE then use the up or down arrow not the up down first like you did .
2. dont be concerned about trying to link a specific camera thru another specific camera , the system will figure that out, all you need to do is set up your home first , arm it , then do ONE remote at a time , check for a CL level on each remote as you deploy them, if its cl level is 20 or higher , arm it and THEN power up the next remote and do the same , keep doing each remote one at a time until you are done. yes, any remote camera j or G can be a link for more than one camera , it could link 20 of them if it had to.
3. I would sell this unit , it has to be a home, either cell or non cell but it has to be a home.
4.cant help you with this one , i have a hard enough time killing them myself.
Thanks Jon,
I am having issues with these two cameras at the far end of my chain. They go back and forth between 2 and 3 links, drop offline, come back. Seems like they spend more time deciding on link than taking pics and sending them. They link at 99 to each other, second choice (and only link home) is 30ish. Debating placing something to block one antenna from the other.

Ok, new question. Last 3 days I have battery days on random cams resetting to zero. All on 12v external and report EXT OK. Home is reporting as low. It was in 70s last week, cold and snow, nights in teens this week.

How long do deer feed around a corner feeder at night with a Home J camera on it? I seem to get only a few minutes of deer at the feeder at night but longer during the day. Does the J camera make a loud clicking noise when using the IR at night?

How long do deer feed around a corner feeder at night with a Home J camera on it? I seem to get only a few minutes of deer at the feeder at night but longer during the day. Does the J camera make a loud clicking noise when using the IR at night?
From what I've read the filter on clicks on first pic after dark, and again on first daylight pic.
As far as how long they feed, seems to depend on how much corn is on the ground. My throw at 8am and 4pm. Some days they're on it all day into dark, then stragglers stopping by to make sure it's all gone. Some days, birds and squirrels during day and deer all night. Always seems no movement just ahead of fronts. Don't think cam click is the issue. I can say that feeders in the woods get more daytime action than ones in fields.

Ok, new question. Last 3 days I have battery days on random cams resetting to zero. All on 12v external and report EXT OK. Home is reporting as low. It was in 70s last week, cold and snow, nights in teens this week.
Your battery are probably dead look at chart ,

Attachments

• B4C4C998-07EB-490A-BD3F-A4AC08C92FE3.jpeg
    B4C4C998-07EB-490A-BD3F-A4AC08C92FE3.jpeg
    90.3 KB · Views: 17
Thanks Jon,
I am having issues with these two cameras at the far end of my chain. They go back and forth between 2 and 3 links, drop offline, come back. Seems like they spend more time deciding on link than taking pics and sending them. They link at 99 to each other, second choice (and only link home) is 30ish. Debating placing something to block one antenna from the other.
blocking one antennas wont work, the signal to the link needed to get home is to low or to busy if they are dropping off. OR you have an antenna issue. You may want ot change it out to see if it helps.

Anybody use surveillance mode for cam setup in the field? I want more than one pic taken when an animal trips the camera. It is rare I get more than one pic of a deer, the same deer when I know they are in front of the camera for plenty of time. IE. set on a scrape/lickoing tree. I have it currently set on ez mode.

If there is a way to get more pics taken during a trigger event. please share as if I don't know what I'm doing, because I probably don't.

Thank you.
sent you a pm, but 5 second delay or moving a couple cameras to surveillance mode will help with more pics, i woudl not set more than 2-3 in a network . make sure the cameras arent to high.

I found an interesting function on the camera the other day - have you tried to run the "battery test"? it will give you more than just, "EXT OK". It will give you an exact percentage, like "99%" or other. Also, do you know how to measure the Volts with a multi-meter to verify the state of charge?