Cuddelink 2020 GEN 2 version

I’m having trouble with one of my J cameras. It’s taking pictures without anything triggering it. It’s also showing two time lapses within an hour when the time lapse is set to 24 hrs. The battery days on the report are also not accurate. I’m running the camera in conjunction with the 12 cell external pack.

Attachments

• 8CD597E2-1A76-4B1F-89EB-02CC23B4B358.png
    8CD597E2-1A76-4B1F-89EB-02CC23B4B358.png
    338.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 5FEF9B89-2B74-4867-AB8B-AE41C3FAFD97.png
    5FEF9B89-2B74-4867-AB8B-AE41C3FAFD97.png
    204.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 5E7A67BB-20E6-40C2-BD19-CC8B6BA8960A.png
    5E7A67BB-20E6-40C2-BD19-CC8B6BA8960A.png
    211 KB · Views: 17
  • 16E5FE7D-DE4F-4583-9459-1EEAF37D91CB.png
    16E5FE7D-DE4F-4583-9459-1EEAF37D91CB.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 18
  • 3F169C67-FA54-4D16-B1F8-C8AD1652E44B.png
    3F169C67-FA54-4D16-B1F8-C8AD1652E44B.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
sent you a pm, but 5 second delay or moving a couple cameras to surveillance mode will help with more pics, i woudl not set more than 2-3 in a network . make sure the cameras arent to high.
Thank you John. I will try the sur mode.

I’m having trouble with one of my J cameras. It’s taking pictures without anything triggering it. It’s also showing two time stamps within an hour when the time stamp is set to 24 hrs. The battery days on the report are also not accurate. I’m running the camera in conjunction with the 12 cell external pack.
Do you have a Time lapse set on this camera? The 8:13 picture indicates Time lapse but the 8:06 does not. Same with the 8:38 and the 8:27. You might want to turn the 24 hour Time lapse and see what happens.

Last edited:
I found an interesting function on the camera the other day - have you tried to run the "battery test"? it will give you more than just, "EXT OK". It will give you an exact percentage, like "99%" or other. Also, do you know how to measure the Volts with a multi-meter to verify the state of charge?
I've been using that test, haven't been near these particular cams in a month. I'm guessing our cold snap brought batteries down, cams went off line, voltage recovered and days starting counting again. Starting to figure out that battery days is best clue that there's a problem somewhere, whether SD, batteries, link. If it ain't working right, battery days don't click off consistently. Ironically, I'm having real good luck with a J AA and older type 3501 solar panel. Jon

Do you have a Time lapse set on this camera? The 8:13 picture indicates Time lapse but the 8:06 does not. Same with the 8:38 and the 8:27. You might want to turn the 24 hour Time lapse and see what happens.
Yeah it’s set to 24 hours.

Yeah it’s set to 24 hours.
It took 3 time lapse pictures this morning when the setting for tl is 24 hrs.

Attachments

• F3CC6381-0E0D-4BF8-B116-6CA7E589A1A6.png
    F3CC6381-0E0D-4BF8-B116-6CA7E589A1A6.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 6D0C0F57-ACD2-49C8-BE1A-8E61E43545A1.png
    6D0C0F57-ACD2-49C8-BE1A-8E61E43545A1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
I’d talk to Customer Service or turn the Time lapse off.

Getting frustrated, got one J cam that will take and send 2-3 pics while I'm there, then lockup in Armed display. Camp Device Settings says it's not communicating with cam now. New fully formatted card (twice), fresh battery, can see home cam in it's pics, 165yds. Went through SD test and clear in camera. Cam has 102 lifetime run days. Sent command to clear card. Will reload FW next trip and make sure internal memory clear.
Any other tricks?

Home cam died, it'll be a few days before I can get to it.
So, what are remotes doing? Do they just que pics and wait?

Home cam died, it'll be a few days before I can get to it.
So, what are remotes doing? Do they just que pics and wait?
Yeah they keep taking pics and will send when home cam gets new batteries and is back "online"

This place sure got quiet as season went out. Okay, news saying AT&T turning off 3G next month. Have read comments here about cell cam problem as Verizon turned on 5G towers. So, what "G" do Cuddeback cell cams use? Will we see new units with 5G? What's the future hold?
Thanks, Jon

This place sure got quiet as season went out. Okay, news saying AT&T turning off 3G next month. Have read comments here about cell cam problem as Verizon turned on 5G towers. So, what "G" do Cuddeback cell cams use? Will we see new units with 5G? What's the future hold?
Thanks, Jon
All Cuddelink cell homes and stand alone cell cameras are 4G/LTE and will all work in 5G.

New to cuddeback and I'm not having the best experience so far. Set out the cameras over the weekend, linked everything up got pictures while putting them out. Then found out that I needed to update the firmware to be able to control the cameras online. Went back out, updated the new firmware, and manually put the setting back on the cameras. I used the easy mode as I planned on changing the settings from my CPU. ran a test on the cameras those came through. received 2 reports see below and all looked well. I went into the setting on the cameras to name them and put 3 in surveillance mode, not the all-out surveillance mode, just where it will let you pick 3 cameras to send you images right away. clicked save. All cameras went to pending I read that this could take up to 24hr to go through. So I have been keeping an eye on the account over the last three days. Yesterday they went offline, and this morning I can even see the cameras on the account anymore. It looks like it did before I did the firmware update. Below is a screenshot of the report after I did the Firmware update. I also looked at the cell camera status, and it had 0 failers and 24 good transmissions with 0 timeouts. prior to them going offline. I called Cuddeback this morning, set on hold for 10 mins or so got to 2 in the queue then a message comes over and says they are limiting wait time to better SERVE ME and I have to call back WTF. I call back and make it to 3 in the queue, and the same thing happens.

The lease is 2 hours away so just running over there is not an easy thing. Also, the season opens at the end of the month, so I am trying to limit my presents in the woods, which is why I paid the money for cell cameras.

Is there anything Cuddeback will be able to do remotely to get this problem resolved without me having to go to the cameras? Any ideas of what the problem is in the first place.

1664374694071.png

New to cuddeback and I'm not having the best experience so far. Set out the cameras over the weekend, linked everything up got pictures while putting them out. Then found out that I needed to update the firmware to be able to control the cameras online. Went back out, updated the new firmware, and manually put the setting back on the cameras. I used the easy mode as I planned on changing the settings from my CPU. ran a test on the cameras those came through. received 2 reports see below and all looked well. I went into the setting on the cameras to name them and put 3 in surveillance mode, not the all-out surveillance mode, just where it will let you pick 3 cameras to send you images right away. clicked save. All cameras went to pending I read that this could take up to 24hr to go through. So I have been keeping an eye on the account over the last three days. Yesterday they went offline, and this morning I can even see the cameras on the account anymore. It looks like it did before I did the firmware update. Below is a screenshot of the report after I did the Firmware update. I also looked at the cell camera status, and it had 0 failers and 24 good transmissions with 0 timeouts. prior to them going offline. I called Cuddeback this morning, set on hold for 10 mins or so got to 2 in the queue then a message comes over and says they are limiting wait time to better SERVE ME and I have to call back WTF. I call back and make it to 3 in the queue, and the same thing happens.

The lease is 2 hours away so just running over there is not an easy thing. Also, the season opens at the end of the month, so I am trying to limit my presents in the woods, which is why I paid the money for cell cameras.

Is there anything Cuddeback will be able to do remotely to get this problem resolved without me having to go to the cameras? Any ideas of what the problem is in the first place.

1664374694071.png
It is so unfortunate that this system is not user friendly to new users. Once you get used to them it's great. I can say that it seems home/cell cams are touchy when reset and you throw online changes at them.
You don't need surveillance turned on with just 3 cameras and you they can't all be priority. I suspect this is your issue. Better choice is one hour cell rate and surveillance off.
Try not to send more than 2-3 command changes at a time. System tends to get overwhelmed and lock up. Try to focus on one cam, let changes complete, then next cam.
I suspect you will open home cam and see "cell tx" which is sending cell transmission mode. You'll have to disconnect external, remove internal batteries, press buttons till screen goes blank. Reinstall batteries and look for "welcome screen" meaning it has rebooted then go through every menu item to make sure all settings correct. Remotes will reconnect automatically.
Now I have no idea if it matters, but see cams had numerous pictures on cards. I'm assuming you didn't clear cards when you updated firmware. I would hit arrow key each of the SD card options and clear link (things in que) upon set-up, especially home/cell.
As far as stats on cell execution, those are "as last report", so if cell locked up, no new update to show.
If me, and only 3 cams, I would go in, turn off remotes, go to home cam, go through full set-up as above. Set one hour cell rate and EZ mode, 15 sec delay (more if on bait). Change channel to wider spread, say 02-18. Run a cell test with cam sitting in mount.
Once cell/home up go to remotes, reboot, update settings, clear cards within menu choices, reestablished link levels.
If possible hang out, checking system on Camp for cams to show up and send some pics.
From what I understand, surveillance is more of a priority setting. If home gets pics from multiple cams, it will send pics from priority cams before others. It's not designed to override cell rate setting and send pics ahead of next scheduled cell check-in. Home/cell can't talk to more than one remote or server by cell at a time. If it's communicating or if remotes are trying to talk to busy home, nothing is taking pics.
Good luck

It is so unfortunate that this system is not user friendly to new users. Once you get used to them it's great. I can say that it seems home/cell cams are touchy when reset and you throw online changes at them.
You don't need surveillance turned on with just 3 cameras and you they can't all be priority. I suspect this is your issue. Better choice is one hour cell rate and surveillance off.
Try not to send more than 2-3 command changes at a time. System tends to get overwhelmed and lock up. Try to focus on one cam, let changes complete, then next cam.
I suspect you will open home cam and see "cell tx" which is sending cell transmission mode. You'll have to disconnect external, remove internal batteries, press buttons till screen goes blank. Reinstall batteries and look for "welcome screen" meaning it has rebooted then go through every menu item to make sure all settings correct. Remotes will reconnect automatically.
Now I have no idea if it matters, but see cams had numerous pictures on cards. I'm assuming you didn't clear cards when you updated firmware. I would hit arrow key each of the SD card options and clear link (things in que) upon set-up, especially home/cell.
As far as stats on cell execution, those are "as last report", so if cell locked up, no new update to show.
If me, and only 3 cams, I would go in, turn off remotes, go to home cam, go through full set-up as above. Set one hour cell rate and EZ mode, 15 sec delay (more if on bait). Change channel to wider spread, say 02-18. Run a cell test with cam sitting in mount.
Once cell/home up go to remotes, reboot, update settings, clear cards within menu choices, reestablished link levels.
If possible hang out, checking system on Camp for cams to show up and send some pics.
From what I understand, surveillance is more of a priority setting. If home gets pics from multiple cams, it will send pics from priority cams before others. It's not designed to override cell rate setting and send pics ahead of next scheduled cell check-in. Home/cell can't talk to more than one remote or server by cell at a time. If it's communicating or if remotes are trying to talk to busy home, nothing is taking pics.
Good luck
I would add one thing , once you have cleared the SD card pull the card and go through the same process of clearing (without card ) this will clear any inturnal pics that are in the camra.

Good luck
One note on surveillance mode. It is my experience the surveillance mode does override the cell rate. I run 20 cameras on my system. I have 2 in surveillance mode. Theses 2 are on our driveway and are literally for surveillance of the driveway. Cudde does warn about having too many in surveillance mode. To save on battery I would recommend a longer cell rate. I run 4 hours. Manual says 8-12 for optimal battery length.

One note on surveillance mode. It is my experience the surveillance mode does override the cell rate. I run 20 cameras on my system. I have 2 in surveillance mode. Theses 2 are on our driveway and are literally for surveillance of the driveway. Cudde does warn about having too many in surveillance mode. To save on battery I would recommend a longer cell rate. I run 4 hours. Manual says 8-12 for optimal battery length.
I have my cell cam on car battery and solar panel, so battery efficiency not issue for me. Surveillance probably good on one cam, but still think having all on surveillance could be an issue. Since remotes send to home quickly, and with one hour cell rate, I get pics in timely manner and without build up of que. I also have G-0, non-camera cell, which frees it up to just move pics. I guess a lot depends on overall quantity of pics.
Anyway, reading back, I was trying to guess what Bayouboys issue could stem from. Think newbies need to keep to Basic set-up until system stabilizes and avoid throwing changes at system, until they see how it's operating, then tweak one thing at a time. Especially as season opens. I hate seeing new guys getting frustrated and disappointed immediately after deploying system.
Haven't heard back from Bayouboys about his system.
Attached, home/cell in tower stand, 30' above ground on ridge. Gives good link levels down into creek bottoms across 89 acres with 70 to 90 foot contours.

I’ve been watching this thread (is this the second thread?) on these cameras for what seems like years. The trouble you guys go through to make them work is more than enough to keep me from purchasing them. That’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been watching this thread (is this the second thread?) on these cameras for what seems like years. The trouble you guys go through to make them work is more than enough to keep me from purchasing them. That’s for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is like googling car issues of a make and model of a car before buying...you're only going to see negatives because everyone else is out enjoying their car or camera system.

It is definitely a complex system that does have a learning curve. I never thought I would have spent this much for trail cameras, but after I bought the first 3, I was hooked. I have two systems running 17 cameras on two properties. There is no way we would understand these two properties as well as we do without these cameras. It's such an amazing tool to put cameras in parts of your property and get up to date intel without having to enter throughout the season.

I Think some criticisms of cuddeback are warranted. But the system works just as well if not better than claimed. I think that the cameras are some of the best purchases we've made on either property.