Crabapple timeline

The way they describe franklin seems to be best for hard cider. Bittersharp high brix. Find put ifbit makes an ok fresh cider. Likely freeze then press.

I like Franklin as a wildlife apple since it slowly drops apples until March. It has a really nice framework as well, but it seems a little spindly on B118 rootstock. I think a Franklin on a seedling rootstock would be an ideal wildlife apple.

I know Franklin was marketed as a cider apple, but I know nothing about cider so I can't speak to that claim. The apples are pretty ugly and they do not taste good to me, but the deer like them.
My Franklin also held late. It grew very well.

Here is my Franklin cider on B118 as of today. It’s grown well for me but hasn’t blown me away with production and for taste human consumption since I don’t press cider. Apples do hang well for me.

Attachments

• IMG_3199.jpeg
    IMG_3199.jpeg
    691.3 KB · Views: 30
Here is my Franklin cider on B118 as of today. It’s grown well for me but hasn’t blown me away with production and for taste human consumption since I don’t press cider. Apples do hang well for me.
Another comment about Franklin cider on B118 for those that worry about frost dates. Seems to be an early blooming group compared to other stuff. Have several trees at least 50%+ blossoms while most other apples/crabs like red splendor among others about a week out. In zone 4b.
DSC02575 med.jpg

Another reference point for those in different parts of the country the wild plum are just past peak and the uber tall pear in center of pic at peak
DSC02571 med.jpg

Sanbur,

You gave me some scions last year. Still got plenty. Just wondering if you're sharing that tree with the world. Not sure if I ever checked out midwest deer trees. Trailman scions you gave me were 1st to wake up, right behind the kerr. Did save 2 for myself out of the 6 or so. One's at home, the other at farmland. Parked any extra on a mautre tree, so I always got some scion material for years to come. Probably around 12 varieties on my mature trees. Definitely any tree I only got 1 of is on there, even if I have to whack a top of an ordered tree.

Bowsnbucks,

IF you need some sundance or galarina scions, should have some next year. Bought a sundance on M7 and whacked off the top 8 inches to make 3 more on m111's. Scooped up 3 galarina's on m111 for a living experiment. Pruning well, pruning ok, and barely touching the 3rd one. Maybe let her go for 5 years if I can help myself.
Sorry to respond so late - but our camp has a number of Sundance & Galarina trees already. Thanks for the offer, though!!! Good luck with your trees.

My Franklin also held late. It grew very well.
Our Franklin has grown well for our camp too. Haven't tasted any - but it seems to be a good deer tree. No headaches with it - so far.

I got a franklin at home. IT's still yuong, but cummins calls it a bloom group 4. It didn't bloom yet, but it seemed the buds broke maybe a little bit before my liberty did. My liberty was drowning in buds when I planted it in 2023, no flowers on it this year. I did prune both agressively, the liberties a bit more.

I keep track of zone, bloom, ripe times, and diseaees on my tree chart. I want to change franklin from bloom group 4 to 2.

Franklin gets Fireblight here. So far it hasn't been severe, and I'm just going to let it grow and keep an eye on it. Mine is on B118, so I have it anchored down with 2 T-posts and clothesline to keep it from falling over.

I have 4 Franklin cider on B118 but relatively poor soil and not down south with a long growing season. Aka these trees don't rocket out of the ground here and not having any problems with leaning from wind or fruit load. Trees do ok when not tons of top growth and on b118.

Just a different data point so internet anecdotal does not become a generalization accepted by all. Bought these trees first yr available to the public so would expect Natives trees and mine are similar age.

Not wanting to refute others experience on their land but caution against broad assumptions unless you can correlate conditions that align with your area.

EE4DF6C5-1813-4028-B2A0-786B0BC23FB3.png
I suspected something like this stalled out some of those I replaced. Live and Learn.

36D9052F-3726-46E8-A7FA-D8DC4005A437.jpeg
A fair amount of my trees are resting this year. One Kerr has loads of blossoms, one very few. Same for Chestnut Crabs. With luck, I may have a fair number of Noran this year and some seedlings have lots of blossoms. I also have some blossoms on Norkent.

The corn plot is going in today.

71B50274-672D-4761-BE26-F54F9F16B3E5.jpeg
This picture is from my yard. A finger of the corn plot runs between plums on the right and 🍎 on the left. There is a waterhole behind the plums and spruce.

Bur -
Your place looks great!!! No deer or other critter would be unhappy there. Long-term plan paying off for years into the future. 👍 👍

The last two winters, I heavily pruned Violi’s and it has a fair amount of blossoms this spring. I planted it in 2014.

Our Violi's hasn't set the world on fire. It's growing, but it's been a slow go. It does get shaded by some big pines in the morning - that may be the reason. Not cutting it down though.