Crabapple timeline

D3457258-B48D-480C-BEC2-C4C781C60FE4.jpeg
I need to clean up this topwork from a few years ago. The nurse limb and suckers need to go.

Looks like your low fruit is getting cleaned off by the deer. Do you shake any down for them as winter goes on?

Looks like your low fruit is getting cleaned off by the deer. Do you shake any down for them as winter goes on?
I can’t remember if I posted it here or not. big Dog did not hold as well with the summer drought, but heavy drop dead start about October 25. It has since lost a lot of apples. I found out that my wife has been shaking the limbs when she walks around the orchard.

Yes, I have shaken some limbs as well. I believe it is even legal now, as the feeding ban is lifted for our county. I think so anyway.

I also planted a tree that my buddy grafted from one of my seedlings. It’s a decent deer crab and seemed to grow fast on dolgo rootstock. I decided to call it Platte River Pippin. ( I collected the seed from a wild crab along said River). This tree was planted outback and not far from the mature seedling it came from.

Both trees were feathered, but I pruned them back a loooong ways.

Signal Fire has lost most of it’s fruit, but it is still holding some on April 7th.

And it’s buds are starting to open.

Attachments

• IMG_5300.jpeg
    IMG_5300.jpeg
    807.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_5304.jpeg
    IMG_5304.jpeg
    309.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
I also planted a tree that my buddy grafted from one of my seedlings. It’s a decent deer crab and seemed to grow fast on dolgo rootstock. I decided to call it Platte River Pippin. ( I collected the seed from a wild crab along said River). This tree was planted outback and not far from the mature seedling it came from.

Both trees were feathered, but I pruned them back a loooong ways.

I like to cut them back young too, never too early to get them trained correct and they won't waste energy on branches I don't want.

Just for info -
Our Profusion crab is just now opening it's blossoms (reddish-pink) with some old fruit still clinging from the winter. Our Sugar Tyme crab's blossom buds are swelling, and will probably be fully open next week with temps in the 70's called for here in SE Pa. Sugar Tyme gets covered in white blossoms, and is very DR. Fruit is about 3/8" dia. red - a bird crab that numerous birds eat.

Sandbur,

Did you get a scion from that courthouse crab?

Unfortunately, I had to give away most of my kerr crabs I grafted from your scions. Buds were popping out too early here at home. Trees would of took a real beating up at camp. They got good homes though and planted one at the farmland I hunt.

How is the drop period for dolgo seedlings? Start to drop and maybe 1/2 gone. I got 2 in pots from last years nursery to plant. Think they were Willi's orchards in gerogia. 2 smaller ones got grafted to violi's crab. Really just hunt a weekend or two at camp in october. Sometimes go back for the last week in december.

I planted Adirondack, sugar thyme, red jewel, and three Prairie fire last year my red jewel appears to have not made it and I’ll need to order another one. These where all deeply discounted trees so I knew the possibility that one or more may not make it was high.

Sandbur,

Unfortunately, I had to give away most of my kerr crabs I grafted from your scions. Buds were popping out too early here at home. Trees would of took a real beating up at camp. They got good homes though and planted one at the farmland I hunt.

How is the drop period for dolgo seedlings? Start to drop and maybe 1/2 gone. I got 2 in pots from last years nursery to plant. Think they were Willi's orchards in gerogia. 2 smaller ones got grafted to violi's crab. Really just hunt a weekend or two at camp in october. Sometimes go back for the last week in december.
I did not get any scion from the courthouse crab.

Dolgo seedling drop times vary considerably. Some early, some over extended periods.

Still no fruit on my Violi’s, but maybe this year.

Sandbur,

Sorry if I was supposed to remember to save scion for you. I forgot. I did prune my tree just a bit, but there wasn’t much scion after our dry summer.

The original tree was ‘pruned’ by someone, city or county took off the lower branches. Scion is now out of reach unless we get lots of snow.

You might see if Midwest Deer Trees has a tree left.

Still no fruit on my Violi’s, but maybe this year.
Ours at camp has been a slow-go too. For our purposes at camp, I wish I'd have planted a Sundance or Galarina where the Violi's is. Maybe it'll kick into gear one of these years.