Crabapple timeline

I picked over half of the Norlands today and they were starting to drop. They tasted great but many were culls because of hail damage.

Great deer chow, Bur!

7BEDA991-941A-43C2-8498-5D1AD6773805.jpeg
Yellow Dog top worked on dolgo rootstock in 2016. Somewhere there was a comment about yellow dog losing all of it’s leaves. YD has not been disease free for me, but it usually produces plenty of fruit every other year with little care. I might prune what I can reach on the tree.

View attachment 55281
Yellow Dog top worked on dolgo rootstock in 2016. Somewhere there was a comment about yellow dog losing all of it’s leaves. YD has not been disease free for me, but it usually produces plenty of fruit every other year with little care. I might prune what I can reach on the tree.
8BDCF0FC-D0DB-40A7-A4CE-50D14C1684CA.jpeg
Sorry, 2015 top work

View attachment 55292
Open pollinated seedling from a wild crab in the ditch by a neighbor. On own root.
D1E8C3AA-E561-4F1D-BFD7-979ABF02A6FE.jpeg
Probably a half sister to the above.

My point is, don’t be afraid to plant seeds from wild applecrabs or apples. I also have various seedlings from some domestic varieties. Geneva crab, chestnut crab, pink Pearl, and the group of red stemmed dolgo rootstock from Ryan at Bluehills. Some others I can’t remember right now.

Bur -
I think I said in another thread on here that 2 of the YD seedlings from your seed have no real disease problems showing - so far. Good news.

Bur -
I think I said in another thread on here that 2 of the YD seedlings from your seed have no real disease problems showing - so far. Good news.
It will be interesting to see what types of fruit you will get. The old YD has flowering crabs(Manchurian) and a variety of other seedlings all around it.