Crabapple timeline

In 20017 I planted 8 Morse Double Red Crab seedlings that were probably 8". The parent tree is red fleshed. They're 50/50 red/green leaves. My best grower, a green leaf, is now about about 15' tall and fruited for the first time last year. About 4 golf ball sized crabs...but they were out of reach and I never checked the flesh. Looks like this year I might have fruit for the first time on 2 of the red leafed trees. Hope they're something interesting and worthwhile.

Interestingly the same year I planted a 3yo Dolgo Seedling for Morse that was at least 7' tall. It's now ~10' and has yet to throw a single flower. So much for trying to speed up fruit production by buying larger trees 🙄

View attachment 52100
View attachment 52101
Those red fleshed are always interesting for apple sauce and for cider.

With deep snow, the deer hit my apple trees hard . This chestnut crab shows the browsing. They even reached over those trees with five foot fencing.

Last night, deer were standing on back legs and browsing on the chestnut crabs.

Or were they just smelling the flowers?

D9E77CCA-6F11-4877-A5CA-57F1B411E9B6.jpeg

My trees were also hit hard from having deep snow. Also all the brush around my property has taken a hit this last winter.

With deep snow, the deer hit my apple trees hard . This chestnut crab shows the browsing. They even reached over those trees with five foot fencing.
Were all your trees hit as hard as the Chestnut crab?? Looking at what I can see of those background trees, it looks like the Chestnut was clobbered the most. Any suspicions why?? Any outlying trees get hammered too??

All my apple trees were hit, anything they could reach they trimmed. Being there was a good 3 feet on the ground, they pruned my trees to look ugly.

Were all your trees hit as hard as the Chestnut crab?? Looking at what I can see of those background trees, it looks like the Chestnut was clobbered the most. Any suspicions why?? Any outlying trees get hammered too??
Many trees were hammered but chestnut crabs do seem to be the worst. They just like those trees I guess.

Browse lines are very evident on all of my trees the last two years. With 3-4 acres of standing corn and conifers, this has become a wintering area. Much different than 15 years ago.

At my brothers place they had a snow then ice then snow storm that pretty much sealed the ground for the rest of the winter. The squirrels couldn’t access any of their buried food and turned to eating the bark off the smaller branches on almost every tree in the woods. Looks like a giant herd of porcupines past through the area never seen anything like it before.

Many trees were hammered but chestnut crabs do seem to be the worst. They just like those trees I guess.

Browse lines are very evident on all of my trees the last two years. With 3-4 acres of standing corn and conifers, this has become a wintering area. Much different than 15 years ago.
Have a Chestnut and Whitney crab in close proximity to each other and the Chestnut has had branches broke several times and the top taken out by critters. The Whitney has not been touched.

With 3-4 acres of standing corn and conifers, this has become a wintering area. Much different than 15 years ago.
Not surprising. You've got all the ingredients for a deer haven - conifer cover, corn, apple & crab trees, and plum trees. Neighboring AG is also a plus.

Have a Chestnut and Whitney crab in close proximity to each other and the Chestnut has had branches broke several times and the top taken out by critters. The Whitney has not been touched.
I am not impressed by Whitney either.

I am not impressed by Whitney either.
Me either. I bought a Whitney and a chestnut the same year. The chestnut looks beautiful. It has a full, thick shape to it snd produced guessing 300 apples last year. The Whitney is the same height but thin and straight up. Produces about 30 apples.

At my brothers place they had a snow then ice then snow storm that pretty much sealed the ground for the rest of the winter. The squirrels couldn’t access any of their buried food and turned to eating the bark off the smaller branches on almost every tree in the woods. Looks like a giant herd of porcupines past through the area never seen anything like it before.
That has happened the last 2 years up at the cabin, in mid-north MN. They seem to only hit the maple trees. My wife referred to the trees as looking all “raw-dog”. We still tease her about that!

Me either. I bought a Whitney and a chestnut the same year. The chestnut looks beautiful. It has a full, thick shape to it snd produced guessing 300 apples last year. The Whitney is the same height but thin and straight up. Produces about 30 apples.
I don’t really care for the taste or the apple sauce from Whitney. It is too mild and reminds me of store bought apple sauce.

My favorite apple sauce and cider both contain 50% or more chestnut crab. Trailman is also very good.

That has happened the last 2 years up at the cabin, in mid-north MN. They seem to only hit the maple trees. My wife referred to the trees as looking all “raw-dog”. We still tease her about that!

I noticed the same in lots of places this spring. 1'+ long strips of bark browsed off all types of trees and shrubs 2-3' up from the ground. I imagine the rabbits had a big part in it where I saw it.

I don’t really care for the taste or the apple sauce from Whitney. It is too mild and reminds me of store bought apple sauce.

My favorite apple sauce and cider both contain 50% or more chestnut crab. Trailman is also very good.
What’s wrong with store bought applesauce!😊

@Bill

Can you help Sanbur with his password issue? I have read he cant login, and his apple tree pictures are missed!