Crabapple timeline

9882f4f195c5121a3a702fe1276ab686.jpg

One didn’t make it. There are some tiny fawns. I could see them struggling to keep up with the bigger deer. I find some every spring.

I think these were born to yearling does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not just fawns.

Attachments

• image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 60
  • image000001(1).jpg
    image000001(1).jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 58
It's not just fawns.

Nice buck. He even had the mule deer forks on him.

It's not just fawns.
Wow that's a nice buck. I had one very similar to that one I got a pic of years ago. Had forked G2's with kickers off each G2 and forked brows. It was very symmetrical for having a bunch of irregular points.

My brother had pix of him all summer and into early fall, then again in January. Found him yesterday. They've had a pack of dogs running deer.

My brother had pix of him all summer and into early fall, then again in January. Found him yesterday. They've had a pack of dogs running deer.
Coyotes or just dogs?

Dogs, but I'm sure coyotes are eating good.

8ed1b7e33e8432bef9e69e81725b0820.jpg

I missed the picture, but twice this old girl put her front feet on the cage like a step ladder. I hope she didn’t reach the grafts on that tree from Spooner, Wis.

Snow in your pic - I though Minnesota was having some warm spells of late??? Are you getting that whip-saw warm & cold variation of temps? We are here in Pa. and I'm wondering how long that'll go on. Might be a rough year for blossoms.

Snow in your pic - I though Minnesota was having some warm spells of late??? Are you getting that whip-saw warm & cold variation of temps? We are here in Pa. and I'm wondering how long that'll go on. Might be a rough year for blossoms.

I am no longer in MN, but I am just east of the MN border about 40 miles, I havent seen, or heard of this warm spell you are speaking of. We have had a colder then average winter. Temps have barely broke above 32 a handful of times since Jan 1st. With about 2/3 of the nights below 0. I dont think we got any extreme cold temps, coldest I think was -36, but we have had many -20's this year.

In my area we are just starting to see some lower 30's for highs, and lows are looking like teens. But we still have -6 in the for cast this week for a low.

We actually had above freezing temps today! I packed some trails with snowshoes and pruned a bit.

I am no longer in MN, but I am just east of the MN border about 40 miles, I havent seen, or heard of this warm spell you are speaking of. We have had a colder then average winter. Temps have barely broke above 32 a handful of times since Jan 1st. With about 2/3 of the nights below 0. I dont think we got any extreme cold temps, coldest I think was -36, but we have had many -20's this year.

In my area we are just starting to see some lower 30's for highs, and lows are looking like teens. But we still have -6 in the for cast this week for a low.
I was going by national weather maps that showed waves of up & down temps going west to east. Montana, the Dakotas, and into Minnesota showed above avg. temps moving in at various times. Maybe those forecast maps didn't pan out as forecast?? When they first showed them on national news, (over the last few weeks), I thought you guys in the Upper Midwest would be on a roller-coaster and maybe have fruit tree problems. If your winter has stayed pretty much normal - that's good for the trees, I suppose.

We've varied between 69 and the teens here recently. I hope we don't get any late freezes once the buds are swelling.

I think our highest temp this year(2022) was 36, and coldest -36, with average of highs in the teens, and lows below 0. Pretty typical for Jan-Feb.

Late March through early May will be the months to worry about the fruit trees. An extra warm March, or a cold May will hurt the trees the most here.

We've had a few days of 60+ as high as 68 lately. I checked the seedlings grown from Sandbur's seeds and they are all waking up. One has green TINY leaves peeking out of the buds. I'll be watching to see how the leaves pop and what color differences there are, if any. The one seedling has SUPER limb angles all on its own - almost straight out from the trunk. The tallest is a straight whip about 50" tall. Can't wait to see how they grow.

Not 60 degrees here, but we had over 50. I was pruning on snowshoes early in the week. I am tempted to put them in storage, but that might lead to a snowstorm. Superstitious , I know.

I did drive on the lake and go ice fishing today. Probably the last time.

Not 60 degrees here, but we had over 50. I was pruning on snowshoes early in the week. I am tempted to put them in storage, but that might lead to a snowstorm. Superstitious , I know.

I did drive on the lake and go ice fishing today. Probably the last time.

Don't gooch it, only March!

It was in the teens and we got 6" of snow last weekend. This week it's been 60+ every day and high of 72 tomorrow. Naturally it's supposed to rain all day Saturday though.

Update on Sandbur's potted seedlings here in Pa. After having some cold nights here, the leaves on some of them are reddish in color now. Don't know if it's from the cold nights, or if they're turning out as Sandbur expected. Different growth patterns among them. I pruned the tallest one from about 50" down to 36" to push some limb growth.

Anything else to look for Sandbur??

Update on Sandbur's potted seedlings here in Pa. After having some cold nights here, the leaves on some of them are reddish in color now. Don't know if it's from the cold nights, or if they're turning out as Sandbur expected. Different growth patterns among them. I pruned the tallest one from about 50" down to 36" to push some limb growth.

Anything else to look for Sandbur??

Are they recently planted? I prune when I plant.

Bur -
No - not planted yet. The head of Penn State's fruit tree dept. told me it's OK to prune while still in a pot, but it should be planted this spring - which it will be. I only pruned the really tall one. 2 of your other seedlings have already started branching, (small ones) so no pruning necessary on them. All of them will be planted in about 3 weeks at camp.