Crabapple timeline

Does the courthouse crab have white flowers in the spring? If it does bet is a siberian crab seedling or has that in its parent pool.

I will watch it this spring and see what color they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMS crab (a siberian crab seedling) still getting checked out. Fruit smaller than your buckman, about size of the courthouse one above. Another Siberian crab is also holding some nickel sized fruit and has some tracks but apple trees next to food plots are more popular. Food plot is grassy clover on this end but have noted that any grass with some green left is also dug for probably just a change from the shrubby browse nearby.
View attachment 40765View attachment 40766View attachment 40767

That looks like good deer country. I need to remove a few limbs and get smaller cages on some of my older trees.

The deer are digging for grass in our yard and also are digging in the alfalfa field.

I have a 2-3 acre corn plot by my house. I suspect the corn is gone there also.

I have been trying to post a picture for two weeks and it just won’t go. Our service must be too slow.

I have not paid a subscription fee.

I have been trying to post a picture for two weeks and it just won’t go. Our service must be too slow.
Our service has slowed down in the last 2 months or so too. We pay the bill - but lately the service STINKS.

Tap a Talk said they are having issues with loading pictures. It is also slow on their end.

I suppose they want the subscription fee.

Forty two or three came by the house last night. They stop at the crab apple trees on the way to the corn plot. The corn is nearly gone.

Sorry, no pictures.

Tap a Talk said they are having issues with loading pictures. It is also slow on their end.

I suppose they want the subscription fee.

Forty two or three came by the house last night. They stop at the crab apple trees on the way to the corn plot. The corn is nearly gone.

Sorry, no pictures.

Rather then using the Tap Talk website, just use your browser. It is user friendly as a site as well.

Plus seeing all your trees, with apples, and deer tracks around them, and deer is what keeps me excited about keeping up with my orchard.

Big Dog that is by my house, has dropped all of it’s apples. I have one outback that I need to check.

Golden Hornet was holding lots of apples, so I gave it a shake or two.

How old is the big dog, and Golden Hornet?

What's a typical fruit diameter on your Golden Hornet?

How old is the big dog, and Golden Hornet?

Big Dog age, hard to give you an answer. We have lived here 33 years and there was an apple tree that died back. I assume this is the rootstock unless it was a seedling. It sent up shoots and got chewed off, it sent up shoots again and I protected one of them.

So I guess the rootstock is probably 35 plus years of age.

I need to check the tag on Golden Hornet. I grafted it about ?? 8 years ago.

dde1e71c8f8239408b8ea0680c9148a3.jpg

This has been our evening entertainment for the last three weeks. We have seen up to 43 one night.

378274cdd90a10a4a4b9a0e768e1293b.jpg

Luke from Midwest Deer Trees came over and we gathered scion. We didn’t need the snowshoes as we could walk on the deer trails. With some grafting success, he will have some of my trees. He also got some scion from a crab on a neighboring property that I have watched for decades.

We also gathered some scion for Ryan at Bluehill Wildlife Nursery from my trees and I need to get a few more things together for him.

Both are great guys.

dde1e71c8f8239408b8ea0680c9148a3.jpg

This has been our evening entertainment for the last three weeks. We have seen up to 43 one night.

Most of my trees have dropped their apples with the high winds that we have had. Golden Hornet is still holding some, as is the flowering crab in this picture.

2f6b3e948c9abde9d4bb6d35198d0ea7.jpg

The courthouse Crab is still slowly dropping crabs. I could reach scion for three people. It is very small in diameter.

With the drought, scion is small on many of my trees.

9882f4f195c5121a3a702fe1276ab686.jpg

One didn’t make it. There are some tiny fawns. I could see them struggling to keep up with the bigger deer. I find some every spring.

I think these were born to yearling does.

My uncle and I where returning from our hunting property bordering the national forest one winter and saw blood all over the small frozen creek on my property. We pulled over and hiked up the hill following the blood trail drag marks there where wolf tracks everywhere when we found the fawn it was still warm. We decided to leave the area rather quickly.

My uncle and I where returning from our hunting property bordering the national forest one winter and saw blood all over the small frozen creek on my property. We pulled over and hiked up the hill following the blood trail drag marks there where wolf tracks everywhere when we found the fawn it was still warm. We decided to leave the area rather quickly.

We should probably return with a gun.

We should probably return with a gun.

It's real unfortunate that we can no longer use bullets to protect pets and livestock from the "endangered" wolves.