Cordless chainsaw

Yarg

5 year old buck +
Hello..I'm considering a cordless chainsaw and wondering what brand are you guys using for small habitat work and how they are working. Thanks

I have a bunch of greenworks battery equipment. 16” and 10” chainsaws, pole saw, trimmer and mower. While I don’t think they are practical for high volume firewood work, everything else has been great. Check the reviews on amazon. Lots of people saying they got rid of their gas ones.

I have a black and decker 12 inch. Nice little unit. I used for small habitat work. It doesn’t have the power of a gas chainsaw so there will be limitations. I’ve cut shooting lanes with it, hinge cut trees and cleared logging roads of fallen limbs. Works great. I think I enjoy the lightness of it the most. You feel like you have a lot more control over it. They are nice units to have for sure. Make sure you get a couple batteries. I wouldn’t say that the black and decker drains fast either. It’s nice to have a spare on you when working on projects.

I already had a pile of Ryobi 18v tools. So I added a 18v Ryobi saw. It works great. As noted, it does not have the power of my gas saw. But it's light, reliable, and does a fantastic job with the small stuff. I use the 6Ah batteries and get about 30 minutes of run time. But 30 minutes of actual cutting is a lot. It's not running while I stand there scratching my head.

lonespruce.jpg

Last edited:
When it's cold, be sure to use Winter weight bar oil. Never needed it for a gas saw. I suspect it heats up after just a couple minutes running and warms the oil. The electric saw does not get hot like a gasser.

We have a few Milwaukee ones at work and they are pretty cool. One battery can cut up multiple poles in 2’ sections. Once your done with your cut hang it on your bucket hook and pick it up again to do your next cut, no need for pulling on anything to get it running again.

Hello..I'm considering a cordless chainsaw and wondering what brand are you guys using for small habitat work and how they are working. Thanks

I got a Dewalt and I love it. I feel much safer with it. I've used it for a while now and I'm pretty happy with it for my use. I would not get one expecting to cut many cords of firewood or something like that. It does not have the power of my Stihl 028 but it is great for my use. I carry it on my ATV and use it to remove dead-falls and to do small habitat work. It is great.

Here is the thread that inspired me: http://www.habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/20v-dewalt-chainsaw-for-hinge-cutting.9778/ Some good posts on the subject there to look at.

Thanks,

Jack

I seond the greenworks, I bought the chainsaw first. 40v 12 inch and an extra battery. and then the polesaw. They both work great and I use them around the farm all the time. The batteries hold a charge for at least 3 mos when not used and charge in about 30 minutes. These are of course used for light work, I have a large Husky for my primary saww as well as an echo top handle. I have used the 8" pole saw to cut very large overhead branches. 8"+

I'd just start getting invested in Milwaukee Fuel and be done with it.

I just wanted to be clear. The title of the link I posted above included "20-Volt". The saw I got and like and was referring to on that thread was:

40V MAX* XR® 16" CORDLESS CHAINSAW (7.5AH)

Thanks,

Jack

I'd just start getting invested in Milwaukee Fuel and be done with it.
Funny. I just did that exact thing up at my farm. I don’t have a polesaw or chainsaw, but I’ve got the majority of their hand tools. They’re good stuff.

That's cool. I don't have those things either. The other day I was holding the Milwaukee chainsaw at RK. It felt kinda bulky, but that's comparing it to our small saw which is a tiny 192 Stihl. Ok I just looked it up and it weighs 13.9 lbs which is around 5 lbs heavier I think. So the energy you save pulling a cord a few times will probably be quickly negated by the weight difference. The on/off and quietness would be nice.

My first problem. The chainsaw has had light use since I got it in Jan 2019. I cut up a few trees but most as been cutting small stuff. The other day I pulled it out and started using it. The chain slipped off and it started making an unusual sound. I cleaned it up, reinstalled and tightened the chain, and the same thing happened. With a exploring, I found that something is slipping inside the saw the spins the sprocket. As soon as I put pressure on the chain to cut, the chain stops and the sprocket inside spins.

I brought it home from the farm. I went to the dewalt web site and closest factory service center is two states away in PA. I decided to use the mail in service option. I completed the form with the serial number, date code, and date of purchase. It wanted a credit card and said the most charged would $145. I think the same form is used for Warranty repairs as post warranty service, so I figured mine would be free but they needed a card "just in case". I entered all the information and when I clicked submit, I go a "Bad Gateway" internet message. Well, things happen on the internet...

I waited until the next day and went through the same process. After I entered the credit card inform and I clicked the submit button, this time I got a message that said "Sorry, we can't process your order".

So much for their online service!

The next day, I called the 800 number for service. I was on hold for 45 minutes and then a voice came on and said. "Sorry , we can't answer your call at this time." It then hung up on me.

I was getting pretty frustrated. I called the 800 number again yesterday. I was only on hold for about 15 minutes before a person actually answered. He was very polite and took all of my information. It was a slow process as he kept putting me on hold between each step, but finally he got it done. No credit card information was required. He tried to email me a mailing label several times. It never arrived. (not in my junk folder or anything). I finally sent him an email and he supposedly replied to it. Still no luck. Finally I gave him another email address. He was able to send the return label to that address. It was actually from UPS. I finally found the button to generate the label for printing.

I packed and took it to UPS today. He said to expect it to take about 2 weeks for service.

I'll report back as things progress.

Thanks,

Jack

well just posting this as I been seeing this add now and then, NO clue if this is REAL or a scam, but for 25 bucks?? a ECHO gas powered chain saw??
and again I have NO clue if it is a real deal or not, so, use your own judgement here?
but thought I would share here since well???!~~

https://mixluler.com/collections/ho...tUs6c6GJUjGg31eeGh8t-tyIdrREv1htcjZEhY40tiMUA

well just posting this as I been seeing this add now and then, NO clue if this is REAL or a scam, but for 25 bucks?? a ECHO gas powered chain saw??
and again I have NO clue if it is a real deal or not, so, use your own judgement here?
but thought I would share here since well???!~~

https://mixluler.com/collections/ho...tUs6c6GJUjGg31eeGh8t-tyIdrREv1htcjZEhY40tiMUA

Not a chance that's real. I'm guessing you'd receive the manual pocket chainsaw shown in the picture if you get anything. Read the description, it says manual chainsaw in the description along with gas 2-stroke. They are trying to scam you, don't fall for it and please don't help them by sharing the link. "12 In 25.0 Cc Gas 2-Stroke Cycle Manual Chainsaw"

Not a chance that's real. I'm guessing you'd receive the manual pocket chainsaw shown in the picture if you get anything. Read the description, it says manual chainsaw in the description along with gas 2-stroke. They are trying to scam you, don't fall for it and please don't help them by sharing the link. "12 In 25.0 Cc Gas 2-Stroke Cycle Manual Chainsaw"
HAHA, I figured not real, but if you also read, it also says its battery powered NO fuel, then says how to mix fuel and then ??
lots of info not adding up
Like I said, seems too good to be true but posted as I seen it, so posted it, maybe someone wants to gamble on 235 bucks for kicks or??

My first problem. The chainsaw has had light use since I got it in Jan 2019. I cut up a few trees but most as been cutting small stuff. The other day I pulled it out and started using it. The chain slipped off and it started making an unusual sound. I cleaned it up, reinstalled and tightened the chain, and the same thing happened. With a exploring, I found that something is slipping inside the saw the spins the sprocket. As soon as I put pressure on the chain to cut, the chain stops and the sprocket inside spins.

I brought it home from the farm. I went to the dewalt web site and closest factory service center is two states away in PA. I decided to use the mail in service option. I completed the form with the serial number, date code, and date of purchase. It wanted a credit card and said the most charged would $145. I think the same form is used for Warranty repairs as post warranty service, so I figured mine would be free but they needed a card "just in case". I entered all the information and when I clicked submit, I go a "Bad Gateway" internet message. Well, things happen on the internet...

I waited until the next day and went through the same process. After I entered the credit card inform and I clicked the submit button, this time I got a message that said "Sorry, we can't process your order".

So much for their online service!

The next day, I called the 800 number for service. I was on hold for 45 minutes and then a voice came on and said. "Sorry , we can't answer your call at this time." It then hung up on me.

I was getting pretty frustrated. I called the 800 number again yesterday. I was only on hold for about 15 minutes before a person actually answered. He was very polite and took all of my information. It was a slow process as he kept putting me on hold between each step, but finally he got it done. No credit card information was required. He tried to email me a mailing label several times. It never arrived. (not in my junk folder or anything). I finally sent him an email and he supposedly replied to it. Still no luck. Finally I gave him another email address. He was able to send the return label to that address. It was actually from UPS. I finally found the button to generate the label for printing.

I packed and took it to UPS today. He said to expect it to take about 2 weeks for service.

I'll report back as things progress.

Thanks,

Jack

Well, here is the update:

I came home from the farm today and found a big yellow box. Rather than fixing my DCCS690, they sent a brand new chainsaw but it was a DCC670. This is a 20v/60v flex saw. Similar but some of the reviews says it has less power than the 40 volt say I had originally. It sounds like it can't use my 40 volt battery. They had me only send the saw itself back, so I guess I'll sell the almost new 40 volt battery and charger.

I may like this saw better. It seems lighter but perhaps that is battery. We will see how it performs.

Thakns,

Jack

I tried the DCC670 20v/60v on some small (3"-4") stuff around the house today. It performed OK, but that wasn't much of a test. To my feel, it seemed to have a bit less power than the DCC690 original that I had. I checked their web site and they discontinued the 690. I wonder if it had too much power for some of the internal parts to handle.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack, I'd love to get an update as soon as you have one. I have all Dewalt cordless and want to order the 670.