Constantly Evolving

Nothing that I can or will ever do will improve the draw of my property compared to the 2 acres of standing beans we have the farmer leave for us. All of the apple trees, hacking invasives, planting screens and natives will not even show up as a blip compared to grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing that I can or will ever do will improve the draw of my property compared to the 2 acres of standing beans we have the farmer leave for us. All of the apple trees, hacking invasives, planting screens and natives will not even show up as a blip compared to grain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a strong statement. I'd like nothing more than to leave 1-2 ac of corn or beans each year. My dad farms a thousand some acres and I've never been able to get him to leave so much as a row. His favorite and pretty much only hobby anymore is deer hunting. He just hunted 3 days this past weekend without seeing a deer. You'd think it'd be easy right? He just can't do it. Too much old farmer in him. Last year I actually convinced him to leave a couple rows along a finger across from his main gun blind. When he was done harvesting the field, and it also happened to be the end of harvest, he drove the machine over to those rows and worked them off. Couldn't help himself LOL.

Things that keep reinforcing in my mind. Our herd has gotten smaller. The dynamics have changed. When the herd was growing, being on the fields worked. Now it doesn't. We need to get back in the timber again. I need to get smarter with the trail cams. I've gotten "good" with them, but that hasn't helped me seal the deal on bruisers yet. Need to place them higher, like Roy said above, and not let the deer see them. If 95% of the deer don't mind them, that's not good enough. It's the 5% hitting the road that matter.

Just because you wounded a deer a couple years ago and you never saw him again doesn't mean he died. Story to follow this winter when I get prepared.

We started something a few years ago that’s worked out well. We have 4 families that own around 2500 acres total that’s all connected. This is a mix of timber and Ag land. Each family picks one buck to put on the “no shoot” list. These are good sized bucks mainly in the 130-150 inch range that look like they have great potential. It’s been fun tracking these bucks by trail cam and live sightings. Then the next year if and when they show up we can trade pictures etc.

That's a strong statement. I'd like nothing more than to leave 1-2 ac of corn or beans each year. My dad farms a thousand some acres and I've never been able to get him to leave so much as a row. His favorite and pretty much only hobby anymore is deer hunting. He just hunted 3 days this past weekend without seeing a deer. You'd think it'd be easy right? He just can't do it. Too much old farmer in him. Last year I actually convinced him to leave a couple rows along a finger across from his main gun blind. When he was done harvesting the field, and it also happened to be the end of harvest, he drove the machine over to those rows and worked them off. Couldn't help himself LOL.

Things that keep reinforcing in my mind. Our herd has gotten smaller. The dynamics have changed. When the herd was growing, being on the fields worked. Now it doesn't. We need to get back in the timber again. I need to get smarter with the trail cams. I've gotten "good" with them, but that hasn't helped me seal the deal on bruisers yet. Need to place them higher, like Roy said above, and not let the deer see them. If 95% of the deer don't mind them, that's not good enough. It's the 5% hitting the road that matter.
I think you'd be amazed at what a few acres of beans next to timber would attract in December.

I planted a different variety of winter peas this year (icicle winter peas). I planted them the last week of August. I'm not sure I learned anything because i failed to cage them but, I am going to plant them earlier next year because they just did didn't seem to put on the growth I expected.

I also wanted a few rows of corn/beans left up but the farmer I lease to couldn't understand why. I even offered real cheap rent but no go. He thought I was crazy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I also wanted a few rows of corn/beans left up but the farmer I lease to couldn't understand why. I even offered real cheap rent but no go. He thought I was crazy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The farmer that leased from my buddy was on board this spring, then this fall chewed him out and said "you're trying to draw deer in here and they're eating all the corn" and refused to let any stand even though my buddy paid him for it. I think there'll be a new guy farming it next year.

I can understand both sides of that, but a deal's a deal, and I'd send him packing as soon as legally possible. Plenty of other farmers who will understand the arrangement. Still, draw it up in the lease so that there are hopefully no surprises.

There are plenty of farmers that will leave whatever you want them to. If a farmer doesn't listen then definitely find a new one.

While I would agree that standing late season grains are a huge draw but in my experience you need some habitat to go with it. In a past life I planted 4 acres of beans next to a park like atmosphere timber that had some deer. Late season was dismal and hardly touched them, fast forward 10 years after I learned about habitat improvement now by the end of the years crops are gone and I see 20+ deer a night in 2 acres of food.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Learned this year that all resources can be valuable in some way, even if at the moment they may seem like a burden.

Going back to the 2017/18 habitat season. I cut an cleared a stand of delapidated Russian olive an ERC. 1/2 were dead 1/4 were dieing, the rest were in decent shape.

Ended up removing 19 20ft trailer loads that I piled an burned that off-season.

Well in hindsight, I now wish I had kept back about 3-4 more loads of the best tops/thorny branches.

Kept about a load full to protect my ROD planting project. Ended up working better than expected. Having a grassland dominated ecosystem. Im finding it would be nice to have those ashes back into usable form for the arrowwood project this coming spring.

Live an learn I guess.