Concordia Oaks and Swamp / Bur Hybrids

Concordia Oaks I ordered ~ 10 years ago are doing great and putting out a lot of acorns now.

Concordia left and Shumard oak right.

6ab9c8660199bb82b5031bb582cdc4d1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm really jealous you were able to pick up some Concordias. I've tried every year MDC has sold them to no avail. If you ever get the chance of collecting some acorns from them I would be more than happy to pay for them and the shipping.

I'm really jealous you were able to pick up some Concordias. I've tried every year MDC has sold them to no avail. If you ever get the chance of collecting some acorns from them I would be more than happy to pay for them and the shipping.

If you’re in northern MO, you could collect from the trees at my farm north of Mercer if that’s in driving distance for you.

I have a handful of leftover Swamp / bur seedlings from Kelly nursery in IA that I dont think I'll be able to get in the ground this year. They are free to anyone who wants to swing through monticello MN to pick em up.

I needed to order like 40 or something for them to ship so I ordered more than I would have otherwise.

Some of the Concordia oaks definitely have different fall color than standard swamp white oaks.

f0982c6daea2a59c8f164f5933080e8d.jpg

Last edited:
Nice!

I have a handful of leftover Swamp / bur seedlings from Kelly nursery in IA that I dont think I'll be able to get in the ground this year. They are free to anyone who wants to swing through monticello MN to pick em up.

I needed to order like 40 or something for them to ship so I ordered more than I would have otherwise.

Great tree.. Someone should take advantage of that !

Great tree.. Someone should take advantage of that !
Sounds like BiglakeBass on the other forum might grab a few when i grab a triumph tree from him soon.

Sounds like BiglakeBass on the other forum might grab a few when i grab a triumph tree from him soon.
Nice to see you on there ! You will be a great addition!

Got logged into MDC website at midnight and was able to get 25 concordia seedlings ordered and checked out and completed before the website got slow. After about twenty minutes i logged back on to get the rest of what I wanted, it showed concordia oak still available, I grabbed a few more. Fingers crossed....

I tried quite a few different oaks in the red oak group a couple years ago some didn’t like my site or the drought I’m planning on using these as replacement trees.

Last year I ordered 25 Concorndia oak after it showed they were sold out and I still ended up getting them. I would recommend anyone else to do the same, at least for the next couple of days.

Last year I ordered 25 Concorndia oak after it showed they were sold out and I still ended up getting them. I would recommend anyone else to do the same, at least for the next couple of days.
Looks like they're still available now as well.

1693579016903.png

Last fall was a banner year for all acorns here. There are very few of any white family acorns this year. If you are interested in concordia oaks, please order them now. Very doubtful there will be many next fall, I traveled to Concordia recently scouting for acorns, not many. Not affiliated with MDC or George O White, just passing along what I have seen.

Ordered 25 Concordia oak seedlings from MDC on sept 1st. will be planting them in north east lower peninsula of Michigan zone 5a-5b? Planning on using 5 foot tubes in sandy loam soil. Any ideas of what success and growth rate I can expect.

Ordered 25 Concordia oak seedlings from MDC on sept 1st. will be planting them in north east lower peninsula of Michigan zone 5a-5b? Planning on using 5 foot tubes in sandy loam soil. Any ideas of what success and growth rate I can expect.
I have no idea on the sandy loam soil. On a silt loam soil in a *drought year* most grew to between 2-4 ft in 5 ft miracle tubes. I think average new growth in the first year was around 12 inches.

I checked a few trees on my properties in MN & I was bummed. Some of my SBO died either from winter or drought? I would say 10-15 died.

I’m just not sure, but they were crispy dead in the tubes.

I checked a few trees on my properties in MN & I was bummed. Some of my SBO died either from winter or drought? I would say 10-15 died.

I’m just not sure, but they were crispy dead in the tubes.

Trees that were healthy last summer?

Trees that were healthy last summer?
I’m not giving up on them . Just not sure what happened? I have some good survivors still alive !