Concordia Oaks and Swamp / Bur Hybrids

almanac12

5 year old buck +
I'm wondering if any members in the upper Midwest (Northern Iowa, Minnesota, or Wisconsin) have experience planting these. The Concordia Oaks come from North Central Missouri, but have Swamp White Oak / Chinquapin / Dwarf Chinquapin Oak parentage. I'm wondering if anyone has planted these up north and had luck. I'm planting them in moist muck loam over clay soils, somewhat higher. Not wet.

The Missouri Department of Conservation is offering these for sale starting on September 1 according to Concordia County and the gentleman I spoke with at MDC.

My property is zone 5a, 30 miles Northwest of Milwaukee.

I'm also looking to get some oaks going in wetter spots. I have read mixed comments on the Swamp / Bur Oak Hybrids (Schuette Oaks). Kelly Tree Farms markets these as a wetland tree (http://www.kellytreefarm.com/hardwood.html#sbo), but other nurseries I have contacted have recommended pure Swamp White Oak. Has anyone planted these in wetter soils? I'm planting in muck soil, bottomland floodplain, pH 6.8 - 7.0 (the pH is why I'm hesitant to plant pure SWO). Standing water in the spring, dries out in the summer.

Hard to beat MDC for selection,quality,price, and service

bill

Im over by Minneapolis and planted the SBOs from Kelly tree farms. I trialed several areas with different degrees of wetness. I would avoid areas of standing water. Anything that stays mucky when you dig it (soil that is more like mud and wont crumble) will be too wet. The trees I planted just adjacent to the wet areas are doing great though. This is a picture of one I planted last spring and took the picture in June this year. 5' tubes were used. Not all trees are this tall. The trees I got from them were a bit dry upon arrival and some seemed smaller than the size range I ordered. My recommendations are use vented 5' tree tubed, avoid areas that are wet where other trees arent growing, and buy the biggest root stock you can afford. Pvc or metal conduit makes good stakes. Replaced all my wood stakes on the 2nd yr.
991d6c77e22bf7868177c15bf7a2bb3c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sweet, great advice. Thanks.

That picture is awesome btw. Love to see that much growth in only 2 years.

That picture is awesome btw. Love to see that much growth in only 2 years.
I know! Quite exciting and addicting

I really like the Swamp Bur Oak Hybrid and would emphasize that all states in the Midwest MN, IA, Illinois, Wisconsin to name a few (with good soils) you should be able to see acorns on this tree in 5-10 years.Swamp bur oak acorn 16.jpg

Been trying to find a place I could order just a few. Native Nursuries says they will have them this fall.

Kelly Tree Farm in Iowa

Kelly requires $100 minimum and $40 shipping minimum. I only want a few trees. Morse is the next option.

OIKOS Tree Crops carries a bunch of hybrid oaks. Appears they are out of Schubur oaks at present however. I would rather order from them than Morse. Think they are both from MI

Oikos came up in a search but I know nothing about them.

Oikos came up in a search but I know nothing about them.
I have ordered from both Morse and Okios both of them have good trees but you are going to pay more per tree than other places I've ordered from. I like there hybrids and try a couple every year or so.

Them and Morse are expensive. More than I am willing to spend for a 3-6” tree. A local store will have a sale soon and I can buy 6 ft tall trees for 15-20 bucks. You can buy pears and peaches with fruit on them at that price.

Kelly Tree Farm sells graded trees for a reasonable price. You can get grade 3' - 4' swamp bur oaks. "3RP3". Any future plantings by me will be larger trees. It's awfully tough to get 3" - 6" trees up over the weeds, but I suppose one could pot them and nurse them along on the back porch.

I had conordia oaks palnted at my old house in West Bend.They didnt grow very fast but did grow.I only had them for about 3 years.I have okios swamp/bur oaks also.They are tiny and havent done real well.I bought some 5 foot tall swamp/burs from a nursery and planted them in Northern WI.They are doing great and did have a few acorns on them last year witch was theyre 3rd year in ground.

Kelly Tree Farm sells graded trees for a reasonable price. You can get grade 3' - 4' swamp bur oaks. "3RP3". Any future plantings by me will be larger trees. It's awfully tough to get 3" - 6" trees up over the weeds, but I suppose one could pot them and nurse them along on the back porch.

Good trees, I try to order every year. Did not this year, thank goodness, as we still have 10 inches of snow on the ground here.

Any updates on these trees. We planted some Swamp Bur Oak Hybrids last year and they are popping out the 5 foot tubes in MN.

Any updates on these trees. We planted some Swamp Bur Oak Hybrids last year and they are popping out the 5 foot tubes in MN.
Thats really good! Here is my best SBO, in year 3.
e98d06de1d37cf612c619a5e697a52fb.jpg

Another round of solid acorns on my Swamp Bur Oaks

Attachments

• 900B78BA-7EE3-41DE-B5B3-258C763CBCA0.jpeg
    900B78BA-7EE3-41DE-B5B3-258C763CBCA0.jpeg
    435.1 KB · Views: 81
  • A0627C33-7331-4C4D-8104-C90C8456BE29.jpeg
    A0627C33-7331-4C4D-8104-C90C8456BE29.jpeg
    369.2 KB · Views: 79