Cider guys

woodduck

5 year old buck +
Opinions on Cider presses and Grinders.
What do you guys have and what do you like or dislike about them?
What would you recommend for a guy that just wants to mess around and squeeze out a little cider for himself each year?

I first bought a hand grinder and 7 gallon press.1585328315507.png
Grinding is the hardest part. You can buy a hand grinder but you need to motorize it or it takes forever to get the job done.
1585328415968.pngIf you have more than a bushel or two it takes a long time.
I then tried making cider with a juicer.
That was weird. The juicer made a lot of foam that wouldn't go away. But if you only want to make a few gallons, this is the way to go.

Since I have 50 apple trees and another 50 maturing I knew someday I would need a bigger processor so I designed and built an apple grinder (called a scratter) and bought a Harbor Freight 20-ton press. You can see my pressing videos here.
2018 Cider:
2019 Cider:

Thanks Prof, that is a heck of an operation you have there! I don't plan to do that much but who know.... I only planned on planting a few apple trees for wildlife too.

I first bought a hand grinder and 7 gallon press.View attachment 28652
Grinding is the hardest part. You can buy a hand grinder but you need to motorize it or it takes forever to get the job done.
View attachment 28653If you have more than a bushel or two it takes a long time.
I then tried making cider with a juicer.
That was weird. The juicer made a lot of foam that wouldn't go away. But if you only want to make a few gallons, this is the way to go.

Since I have 50 apple trees and another 50 maturing I knew someday I would need a bigger processor so I designed and built an apple grinder (called a scratter) and bought a Harbor Freight 20-ton press. You can see my pressing videos here.
2018 Cider:
2019 Cider:

Great video.

Deer won’t eat my cake.

Will you scratter work with crabs down to 3/4 inch and apples up to 4 inches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

52f9f9c3e39226937d779a90a1bc9f9a.jpg

Fall, 2018, I had a 13 variety press and called it Minnesota 13.

True Minnesota 13 was moonshine and maybe even the name for the variety of corn in much of it, per local legends.

fc503bb10e6b43860f25c7a358a08560.jpg

Same fall, this might have been the 13 variety press.

0206d78f89c2f9ee2f81107a57dfda67.jpg

My grinder for crabs. Larger apples are put in the grinder with the press.

I find that very large apples like Zestar, Prairie Magic, and Hazen need to be cut in half or they plug the grinder on the press.

I would like an economical way to grind all sizes of apples in one step. Cheap is the key word!

Thanks Prof, that is a heck of an operation you have there! I don't plan to do that much but who know.... I only planned on planting a few apple trees for wildlife too.

Planting fruit trees sometimes gets to be an obsession.

Great video.

Deer won’t eat my cake.

If they won't eat your cake then just dump it around your trees for mulch.

If they won't eat your cake then just dump it around your trees for mulch.
Great video.

Deer won’t eat my cake.

My scratter will grind anything up to 6" diameter. Apples, pears, squash, watermelon, little kids' toys... doesn't matter. Everything gets tore down to 1/4" pieces.

I find that very large apples like Zestar, Prairie Magic, and Hazen need to be cut in half or they plug the grinder on the press.

I would like an economical way to grind all sizes of apples in one step. Cheap is the key word!

How do you sanitize it after use?

How do you sanitize it after use?

I just flush it with lots of water. Same thing for the wooden press and grinder.

sandbur, do you spray your trees? That's nice looking fruit.

What is the maximum size your garbage disposal grinder can handle? I assume the opening is about 2"

sandbur, do you spray your trees? That's nice looking fruit.

I have sprayed those close to home, twice during the last two summers.

Most deer apples and those in odd corners of the farm do not get sprayed.

What is the maximum size your garbage disposal grinder can handle? I assume the opening is about 2"

That is about right. I get a much better yield by using this for smaller apples.

My old press and grinder. Worked great for low volume. Now I make about 200 gallons or more per year so I needed to upgrade8772CD37-2343-47A0-A64E-0C0B8732242F.jpeg

B5897E9E-90AC-4564-82AA-3260771DF391.jpeggrinder on left will grind a bushel of apples in about 45 seconds if fed properly and then off to the stainless steel press for juicing. Works amazing. This is the UPGRADE

View attachment 28677grinder on left will grind a bushel of apples in about 45 seconds if fed properly and then off to the stainless steel press for juicing. Works amazing. This is the UPGRADE

Oh oh there she is!!!!! ... I was going to make a apple scratter till I seen one of these in action. The grind on them turns it into a pulp like mash far better than the fly wheel like scratters (they chunk it out) and this style is far more simple to make (simple effective design) .. and they eat apples at a really nice rate. :emoji_thumbsup: Looks like you are set! Im jealous...