Cedar Success

shawnv

5 year old buck +
In 2012 I transplanted about 40 cedars and I have all but 2-3 still alive and that is after two years of drought and some bucks rubbing. I have another 20 or so I can transplant again so I'll keep filling in this area besides what I do in Norways.

A few of the transplants...

IMG_1036_zpsxsldau7x.jpg

IMG_1037_zpsfbn4jnei.jpg

Great looking area shawn!

Shawn I was looking to transplant some as well. Any "tricks" to it. I have pretty lose soil and want to move some for screens and some for bedding. I plan on moving smaller ones as I will have to dig by hand.

For their size cedars have a really long root system so when you place it back into the ground you want to make sure you are not compacting the roots or leaving any folded back up above ground by accident. The only other thing was to make sure there is not any air pockets left like any other tree you transplant. I had previously read that as long as you do this cedars should have a 90-95% success rate. I didn't even weed kill or fertilize to show how tough these trees are at handling competition. If you do that then I would just expect a little better growth. The trees I transplanted were anywhere from 4 inches to 2 1/2 feet tall for reference.

The earlier in the year you can transplant the better. Once they are estblished for a year they are about as minimum maintenance as any growing tree can be.

The earlier in the year you can transplant the better. Once they are estblished for a year they are about as minimum maintenance as any growing tree can be.

Yes, I should mention mine were all transplanted right after the ground thawed out early spring.

I spent the evening transplanting more cedars, about a dozen including the largest one I've attempted so far. We'll see if success can be attained even for a tree this large.

Attachments

• cedar.jpg
    cedar.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 16