Caring for trees through the summer for fall planting??

Jordan Selsor

5 year old buck +
Ok Im kind of in a pickle.. I have had a dozer guy scheduled to come out for months to build a small .5 acre pond and clear and expand some fields. It has just been way to wet! I have 30+ trees both fruit and chestnuts that I planned to plant in the cleared ground this spring but Im worried it may not be cleared till late spring. In that case I plan to fall plant. What would be my best option to store and care for these trees through the summer????

I grew about 60 trees last year from seed and planted in the fall....this year I will have close to 200 that I will do the same.

You didn't mention the size of tree, but assuming they are not rootbound in containers you just have to keep them watered and leave them outside. If they are already in containers, you may have to move them to larger containers for the summer to give them some room to grow.

In regards to watering, just check them....alot! I watered everyday for a few weeks during the summer due to heat and wind (which dry out trees fast).

these will be second leaf trees. pretty good roots on many of them

Im on the fence between root trapper bags or just making a raised soil bed with 2x8's and filling with good top soil and manure an digging them up this fall.

Last edited:
Im on the fence between root trapper bags or just making a raised soil bed with 2x8's and filling with good top soil and manure an digging them up this fall.

You could do the root trapper mesh bags and keep them in the ground. I'm planning on doing that for a lot of the things I'm growing this year (lots of shrubs from seed). This way it's easier to keep them watered and fertilized etc... The one negative is that they are a bit less versatile than the above ground bags. If I recall, they are a bit cheaper than the above ground bags as well. I'm not sure if John has them in the store, which would be my first option, but if you have access to a commercial account you'd be able to get them cheap as well. How large are the trees currently? There are some used ones on ebay.

The Missouri Gravel bed system can be a way to over summer larger trees. Be forewarned you are going to have huge, sprawling root systems to plant though. Lots of digging.

You could do the root trapper mesh bags and keep them in the ground. I'm planning on doing that for a lot of the things I'm growing this year (lots of shrubs from seed). This way it's easier to keep them watered and fertilized etc... The one negative is that they are a bit less versatile than the above ground bags. If I recall, they are a bit cheaper than the above ground bags as well. I'm not sure if John has them in the store, which would be my first option, but if you have access to a commercial account you'd be able to get them cheap as well. How large are the trees currently? There are some used ones on ebay.
Trees are second leaf fruit trees, fuyu persimmon, an Chinese sequins.

I'm considering using those reusable grocery bags an burying them in a soil bed

That might work. You wouldn't get the root pruning, but if you got bags that were big enough, you most likely wouldn't have to worry about much circling.