Buckwheat

Rit

5 year old buck +
C1EBB88E-9462-447D-B12E-A27D7F03AA20.jpeg

I had asked a question about buckwheat on a thread last fall sometime. I never did get an answer but I did find the answer last night.

My question was regarding buckwheat seed. I had planted a mix on 1.2 acres that had about 50% BW in it during the late Spring of 2018. I let it go to seed the first time and I had a decent 2nd stand that also went to seed before I mowed in my fall grains. I was wondering if the seed would stay viable through the winter (zone 6A). Everything I read online indicated it would not overwinter. I didn’t plant any Spring or summer plots this year and just let the WR grow.

No signs of BW this Spring but back on August 30th I planted my grains with Radish and a few other things. I took a walk last night to see how they were doing and I had about 2-300 buckwheat sprouts in the plot.

I guess you have your answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeds are an interesting thing.

Natural seeds have an inherent resistance to germination to ensure seed stays viable until conditions are appropriate. It's a management challenge in trees and shrubs and a miracle in thistle. Many won't germinate until hit with fire, run through the gut of a ruminant, frozen for a winter, or get a death trigger from a herbicide treatment (those are the nasty/necessary ones). Sometimes these seeds get through even though they're "not supposed to."

I've fed piles of pumpkin and squash in the past (early winter) and had squash seeds survive the winter and spring cold and wetness to become full producing plants the following year. Everyone in cold country has likely seen the unlikely radish plant growing in their spring plot as well.

I planted buckwheat last year in an area that is my pumpkin patch this year. Buckwheat came up on its own to provide cover for the pumpkins and keep weeds at bay. It hummed all summer from the bees. Pretty sure I'll have plenty again next year.

I planted buckwheat last year in an area that is my pumpkin patch this year. Buckwheat came up on its own to provide cover for the pumpkins and keep weeds at bay. It hummed all summer from the bees. Pretty sure I'll have plenty again next year.

Funny... I had the same thing. I had more Buckwheat come up this spring with my pumpkins than I did last summer when I just planted buckwheat. The bees loved it!