Brassicas in row crops..

H20fwler

5 year old buck +
A couple years ago I planted a bunch of turnips and sugar beets into the corn rows along the woods. I just broadcasted the seed right on top of the ground first of August. It turned out great and the deer really hit it until everything was gone.
The next year with crop rotation I tried it in soybeans...it didn't work out near as well.

This year it is back to corn so last week I broadcast seed again in the first 6-8 rows along the woods to see if I can get the same results as two years ago. I also put in an acre and a half in bare disked ground. It's been very dry here but we did get 2.5 tenths the day after I planted.

I have good luck doing the same thing into my corn and soybeans each year. Some years are better than others in results. Timely rains are key for me if planting in July on bare ground. I have had some years when Pigweed and Ragweed invade the plot before brassicas could get going. The plot still had plenty of brassicas but not as good as it could have been.

Got a decent rain last Friday night, so its been around two weeks now since planting and the sugar beets and turnips are coming in pretty good.

I regularly surface broadcast a cover crop mix of PTT, CC, and WR into standing RR beans (with a light mix of corn) when the beans turn yellow. This is good for the soil and provides great fall/winter food for deer. The winter rye and CC bounce back in the spring provided food until I plant my warm season annuals for the next summer. After the season, the corn is gone. I use a very light mix (7:1 by weight) since my objective is vertical cover, not cobs. I bushhog the stalks after the season to give them more soil contact speeding decomposition. I run a tiller over the field in early spring set very high. It only hits the top inch or less of soil. This terminates the PTT before it bolts but does not stop the WR and CC from bouncing back.

Thanks,

Jack

Yep, we do it all the time. Plant with a 4 row planter 3 rows of corn, one row of beans. You end up with 6 rows of corn, 2 rows of beans back and forth across the field. Then come the end of july, drive down the 2 bean rows and throw the brassica seeds in the corn. They get plenty of light to germinate and grow. Just pray for rain!

aaas3.JPG DSCN0283.JPG DSCN0288.JPG

Do it in beans sometimes as well!

5.jpg

Those brassica strips look great - I find it hit or miss for me if I cannot rough up the soil a bit -

Those brassica strips look great - I find it hit or miss for me if I cannot rough up the soil a bit -

Need a big rain to pound them in the ground. Or it is hit or miss.