Unattractive summer legumes

Sportsman94

A good 3 year old buck
Does such thing exist? I have access to 20 acres in middle Georgia and looking for something to plant in a 2.5 acre plot for the summer. The only things that have withstood browse pressure have been grasses (sorghum and millet) in the past. Soybeans and cowpeas have been a no go. I tried sunn hemp this summer and it was destroyed. I saved seed from an heirloom corn I grew this summer and am looking to plant it in a mix this summer, but can’t come up with a legume component. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several Vetches you can try. I use hairy vetch mainly because Im in sandy soil. A few other beans you can try, like mung beans. Certain clovers that would appreciate the support from the corn too. Berseem and Balansa.

I'd throw in some crimson clover to the mix, so you got something in the shade growing. Incase you have an issue with fall planting, like a drought.

Bigflower vetch showed up at Dad's place, in Lee Co., AL (east-central, right on the GA border) and grew like crazy ... but it- like most other vetches - is a winter legume.
Summer?.... annual (Kobe/Korean) lespedeza will do the bulk of its growth in July/Aug, when clovers slump, set seed in Sept/Oct. IDK how well, if at all, deer will graze/browse it, but cows love it, and bobwhite quail love the seeds.

Take a look at white sweet clover. That might fit the bill. Be aware though, I haven't grown it, so I'm not sure on the management after you've got it.

Honestly, if Sunn Hemp and Cowpeas won’t withstand the pressure, you are either planting too small of a plot… or (most likely) need to knock some does down!

Why the requirement for a legume? It seems to me you need to rely on something like corn or sorghum that they won’t browse in the summer.

Honestly, if Sunn Hemp and Cowpeas won’t withstand the pressure, you are either planting too small of a plot… or (most likely) need to knock some does down!

Why the requirement for a legume? It seems to me you need to rely on something like corn or sorghum that they won’t browse in the summer.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Will look into everything mentioned.

Ikeman, doe killing would be most helpful I think. I believe I’m the only one in the area doing it and if I kill them in the fall they have been replaced by new ones in the spring. Unfortunately I only have the 20 acres so I don’t think I make much of a difference when it comes to the killing. 2-3 acres of plots get mowed down in a very short amount of time if planted In the spring/summer and stays lip level in the fall. I don’t have to have a legume and may just go the corn/sorghum route. I just like the idea of providing some fertility to the soil if I’m going to be planting something anyways. If they keep everything eaten down then I’ll stick with a strictly grass planting

Does such thing exist? I have access to 20 acres in middle Georgia and looking for something to plant in a 2.5 acre plot for the summer. The only things that have withstood browse pressure have been grasses (sorghum and millet) in the past. Soybeans and cowpeas have been a no go. I tried sunn hemp this summer and it was destroyed. I saved seed from an heirloom corn I grew this summer and am looking to plant it in a mix this summer, but can’t come up with a legume component. Any suggestions?

10lbs Alyce clover, 10lbs aeschynomene, 10lbs sunn hemp, 3lbs of Milo. Will be so thick and deer love it. They can not overgraze it.

Can add some cowpeas that will grow early and allow others to establish better. But they will be overtaken.

IMG_2067.jpegIMG_1646.jpeg
I have a thread on it here. Perfect for us southerners.

IMG_2220.jpegIMG_2103.jpeg

I had great success with teosinte too. Could do a whole field of just it. Used mainly as a screen.
IMG_2206.jpeg

That's a great result^^^^^

Did you drill that mix?

If so, what were your settings ,etc. and planting date?

thanks

bill

PS looks like a few sunflowers in one of those pics

I planted a tecomate offering before. Lablab plus. It contaned a small black pea called ebony pea or ebony soybean

This is what it looked like growing up 12 ft tall coffee bean.

farm10front.jpeg

I’m in west Ga and we gave up on summer plots for that reason, an electric fence is a must for success with legumes.

I’m telling you this mix will work. @Baker has a video on here showing his plots of it and we know his deer. It cannot be overwhelmed if you give it success.

@TreeDaddy i planted I in late April before I did my other fields. That way they would have plenty to eat until this mix gets established.

Way I did it. I planted 10/10 of Alyce clover and aeschynomene. That’s exact mix baker uses. I cut the plot short a week or two before planting. I used 2 quarts/acre of gly and 4oz/acre of imox. This year I will roller crimp at planting instead of cut before, which should protect growing plants. I will also use pursuit 4oz/acre and pendimethalin 1quart/acre. I had no problems last year, but this gives a longer effect, about double of imox. I will still use gly, but don’t know that I have to with crimping rye. Long term I want a lot of reseeding and plant to try without herbicides when I get fields in great shape.

I do rotate my fields like grant woods. baker just does dedicated fields of this stuff. It stays green well into November, and he uses for bow hunting. You could easily let it stay palatable until late, then just broadcast rye and clover over the top. I drilled into it at planting time my normal fall mix in mid October. It knocked it way down, but kept growing into November. Next year I will leave some strips I drilled to break plot up and almost act like a plot screen. My mix got 6-7 feet tall.

Where I think I made it a bit better is I added 3lbs of igrowth sorghum and 2lbs of Clearfield sunflowers. Both are tolerant of imi herbicides. They grew early almost like a nurse crop, looked beautiful, and added a grass. Once the deer vetch/alyce gets thick (takes 2 months or so) it fills in so thick very few weeds would have a chance. I will add sun hemp this year for more height. Long term I want to add teosinte but can’t use the imi herbicides. Could still crimp and or use gly.

My goal is for all these to reseed. Baker doesn’t add new seed for 5 years, making this mix about as cheap as you can get. I’m not sure planting a fall crop into it will allow this so still playing with it. Mowing and or light discing in spring should make it all pop back up. Might use the Firminator for that, and long term just add a few pounds of the sorghum, hemp, and sunflowers yearly.

IMG_2244.jpegIMG_1659.jpeg

In fall the sorghum heads turn red and are beautiful. I’ve never seen so many doves. And, right now every single head has been eaten off, I assume by deer. I don’t think sorghum would reseed because the seeds are so dang palatable to everything.

IMG_1515.jpegIMG_1514.jpegIMG_1513.jpeg

Clearfield sunflowers did great on the edges. They did ok in the middle but once Alyce/vetch gets going they overwhelm everything.

Where those flowers are is native grass edge around field I planted this year. Plot is in background. It had zero bare spots.

I’m in west Ga and we gave up on summer plots for that reason, an electric fence is a must for success with legumes.
Yeah. Soybean plots are a fools errand imo.

That's a great result^^^^^

Did you drill that mix?

If so, what were your settings ,etc. and planting date?

thanks

bill

PS looks like a few sunflowers in one of those pics
Drill settings I don’t take good notes. I basically use the seed chart and guess.

The Alyce clover, vetch mix was small seed box. 20/acre pretty much maxes out settings. Had on 90-100.

The exact opposite for main seed box. I forgot but had a bag of cowpeas and added some just to help with settings. Def gear 1 and a low number. With sunflowers they are so big have to use largest cup opening, so drilling those small numbers a bit difficult. Might be a good idea to close every other one and drill 4 rows instead of nine for the large seed box. May try that. Milo likes row planting.