Boycott Dick's

Bill ( post #111 ) - The double steel door set-up isn't rocket science. But like you said, it would knock the piss out of school shootings. Not a big deal to accomplish it either, from a construction standpoint.

But on the other side if something was going wrong it make ingress by law enforcement, fire, or paramedics a lot more complicated. There are always two sides to a coin. Not to mention there is always the possibility of being let in by someone already inside. Not foolproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the knucklehead kid who brings a pocket full of nails, nuts, and bolts every day just to set the thing off, lock the entrance down for the next 30minutes, get themselves frisked, and keep everyone else locked out in the rain before they come in for their day of education? I know, I know... kick them out of school for a few days, but there are kids who live for that opportunity. Will it be legal issues to purposely do that? What about the kid who didn't intend to do it but accidently forgets about the metal clipboard in his backpack? Not that I'm arguing against it because I truly think a metal detector or x-ray machine is the first and best answer at the moment. But I don't see it without it's own issues or growing pains.

Yoder - ( Post #113 ) I've been in the construction business for over 37 years, and have worked on many schools projects, college campuses, factories, malls, etc. Exits from a building have "panic hardware" to allow egress from a building - but not entry. So a school can have many fire exits that only open from the inside via the panic hardware. Anyone outside the school ( or factory, or church, or mall, or dorm ) cannot enter locked exit doors. People inside CAN EXIT through them, however. In the event of a fire, bail out those doors. That set-up is standard building code.

Panic hardware presumes responsible use my mature minds. Schools are full of developing minds with a wide range of maturity. Wittingly or unwittingly it only takes one bad choice. The developing teenage mind is very interesting. FMRIs show the same areas of the brain light up in a teenager when they spend time with other teenage friends as when they smoke pot. Normal teens are getting high without drugs just spending time together. There was a recent driving simulation study that looked at risk taking. People operated the simulator and the researchers measured whether they would stop or try to beat yellow lights. With a single driver in the car, adult and teen results were about the same when it came to risk taking. Put additional adult passengers in with the adult and risk taking behavior doesn't change much. Put additional teen passengers in the car and risk taking skyrockets. Even with adults in extreme conditions we see group think where actions take place that few if any of the individuals in the group would do alone.

Now think of a developing teenage mind that is troubled. Personality bonding and pacts are not uncommon. We have seen this in teen age murders and in school shootings. One on the inside and one on the outside completely defeats panic hardware.

There are other issues. A single entry point also means a single exit point. A mass of students throttled through a single exit point. A semi-auto, a bomb, even a car....

I'm not suggesting that any of the things you suggest could not be part of a solution in some cases. A real solution needs to be integrated starting with a much better understanding of the root causes and it needs to be flexible to address local differences. I certainly don't have the answer, but I don't want to oversimplify the problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Haha

Attachments

• 29541589_590298084658372_7978009389024531543_n.jpg
    29541589_590298084658372_7978009389024531543_n.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 26
But on the other side if something was going wrong it make ingress by law enforcement, fire, or paramedics a lot more complicated. There are always two sides to a coin. Not to mention there is always the possibility of being let in by someone already inside. Not foolproof.

True on all points. But I have a small apartment building for weekly summer rentals. There is a Knox box secured to the building, fire and police are the only ones with a key to the box. Inside are keys to all my doors. I can't even get in it, pretty hefty little box. If I change a lock I have to call the fire department to have them open it to put in a new key. Or accept an axed door if there is an emergency.

Theres no perfect answer IMO but the path being taken is leading no where soon.

You're a landlord, Bill?

True on all points. But I have a small apartment building for weekly summer rentals. There is a Knox box secured to the building, fire and police are the only ones with a key to the box. Inside are keys to all my doors. I can't even get in it, pretty hefty little box. If I change a lock I have to call the fire department to have them open it to put in a new key. Or accept an axed door if there is an emergency.

Theres no perfect answer IMO but the path being taken is leading no where soon.

It is but it is not making the headlines since every school has different necessities each school needs different areas they need met.

I kind of like the idea of Knox boxes but in that type of call the last thing I want to do is fumble for a key. I already carry too many and each officer would need them due to direction of arrival and movement within being so dynamic.

The fewer items to grab the quicker the response time will be.

You're a landlord, Bill?

No I’m the handy man that fixes stuff. My wife’s running the place. It’s just weekly rentals a block from the beach. Basically our huge place to live alone with the exception of 12 weeks of summer and some fall and spring weekends.

It’s our retirement job :)
I needed a summer Job that let me have spring and November off.....

A good idea would be to enforce laws already on the books and fix the system to work with the law. The last few mass shooting incidents are full of examples where laws were in place that would have stopped the murderer but the system failed. There was an incident about an hour from Kansas City a month ago where 3 police officers were shot with one being killed by a lifelong career felon who had been picked up just a couple months earlier in a neighboring county with a firearm, yet he was out on bond. Federal law says a convicted felon caught with a gun gets 5 years but it is rarely ever enforced.

^^^^^I can't argue with your point on the felon out on bond with a firearms violation. Makes no sense to me either.

You install an override switch in the office for cases where police or paramedics need to get in quickly. This is not difficult folks.

And for the idea that someone - another student already inside - lets a shooter in through a locked door ............ you're really reaching IMO. The idea is to vastly reduce the ODDS of a shooter getting inside. Now someone will say .......... what if an accomplice drives a truck through the front entrance and breaks the door down. If you really believe in the outer limits of chance ............. why bother to even lock your doors at home ????? Someone might bring acetylene torches and burn through the locks. Where does the " what if " train end ??

Dicks is back in back the headlines !

Dicks is back in back the headlines !

Yep. They pull guns off their shelves to "protect" children, and now will pay Mothers $4,000 to travel to kill their unborn child. If they think abortion is such a good thing, why don't they put free condom machines is their bathrooms.

Other companies like Disney, Starbucks, Nike are also paying for abortions. Great companies to boycott!

I am against all abortions no matter the case. My wife is a teacher and we were just having a conversation about this on sunday after church. Obviously Minnesota isn't going to change a thing as far as abortions are concerned (at least until Walz gets voted out) The question she has is what are they going to do with all of the kids? There already tons of shitty parents out there and the adoption process is difficult to say the least. Where are all these kids going to go and who is going to be taking care of them?

I am against all abortions no matter the case. My wife is a teacher and we were just having a conversation about this on sunday after church. Obviously Minnesota isn't going to change a thing as far as abortions are concerned (at least until Walz gets voted out) The question she has is what are they going to do with all of the kids? There already tons of shitty parents out there and the adoption process is difficult to say the least. Where are all these kids going to go and who is going to be taking care of them?

I've never been a supporter of abortion as a form of birth control or for "family planning" but i'm curious about the "no matter the case" stance. Even if the fetus doesn't have a heart beat and there are health risks to the mother to wait for them to pass naturally? What about with a baby that is not expected to survive and birthing it puts the mother at significant risk? My wife's life isn't worth it just to have a child birthed already dead or dying. The left has a slough of examples where IMO "abortion" is the logical choice, the states would be smart to not give them the ammo and let them keep their arguments to the ridiculousness of "murder as a form of birth control".

While my personal feelings align with the current overturn of Roe, abortion has never been a big political issue for me because I don't see the idea of more unwanted children in this world as a good thing either.

To pick and choose is a slippery slope in my mind where the only solution is it is either illegal or it isn't. I don't think we should say it is not ok unless... God has a plan whether we understand it or not. Bad things happen to "good" people all the time. We don't know why but there is a reason for everything and it isn't our place to stand in the way or even question it.

I think abortion after 12- 16 weeks should be reserved only for those that will have health risks if they deliver. Or if the unborn child is not going to survive the birth anyhow.

I think abortions have a place, but they should be done by medical professionals and require a damn good reason. I don’t believe in abortions as a form of birth control.

I was raised catholic, and naturally against abortions personally, but some people need them on occasions.

My ex wife when we first started dating got an abortions, she said it was mine, I was pissed off she had one, she didn’t tell me about it until she already had it done. We broke up for awhile after that, but I was stupid and got back together with her.

I don’t think abortions should be an absolute no! But I think they should be reserved for special occasions, and not just because neither person used birth control.

To pick and choose is a slippery slope in my mind where the only solution is it is either illegal or it isn't. I don't think we should say it is not ok unless... God has a plan whether we understand it or not. Bad things happen to "good" people all the time. We don't know why but there is a reason for everything and it isn't our place to stand in the way or even question it.

If my wife died from complications of waiting for a dead fetus to pass naturally because some political group felt it immoral have a dead fetus medically removed, lord help me and anyone who advocated for such that told me "it was God's plan".

Abortion is a touchy subject and no matter what your argument is, it won't change anyone's mind that sees it differently.

If you want to stop school shootings the first step would be to stop plastering the names of the idiots doing the shootings, it does nothing but glorify them in the eyes of future shooters. These people are the scum of the earth that would take innocent lives for their own personal satisfaction and the laws around these people should be harsh and swift.

Take the useless "gun free zone" advertisement signs off the doors and require 20% of the staff that is comfortable with a gun and arm them. These are nothing more than soft targets until someone else with a gun shows up and shuts it down.

The media is agenda driven and seems to refuse to talk about when good guys save lives by means of the 2nd Amendment or even speedy response by police saving lives. Apparently good news isn't cool anymore, this was just a couple weeks after the Uvalde Texas school shooting did anyone but me hear about this? It didn't make national news but why? Because guns save lives isn't the narrative they want to imprint on peoples thoughts is my guess.

I find abortion generally repulsive, but I believe in individual freedom over my opinions, so I disagree with its prohibition. The same goes for Marijuana, prostitution, and a slew of other unsavory subjects. I don't approve of it, but I'm not willing to criminalize people for taking part.

If my wife died from complications of waiting for a dead fetus to pass naturally because some political group felt it immoral have a dead fetus medically removed, lord help me and anyone who advocated for such that told me "it was God's plan".
You cant "abort" a dead fetus.