Bonus on opening day

WeedyJ

5 year old buck +
Opening of gun season was this past weekend. First year I've hunted with so much food in the plots. All 3 hunters saw some good doe action, just no bucks yet. Later in the day,as I was heading to work on a blind that sits at the junction of my plots and an area I converted from woody thicket to early successional last year , I flushed a covey of bobwhite quail. I had heard them in the spring, and it always does my heart good to hear them. Being a Georgia boy, I used to hunt them wild as a teenager. They are the state game bird of Ga, but they have declined 85-90% in population due to habitat loss. Busting that covey took me back 45 years. Guess who's gonna be working on getting less thicket and more early succession? Not really interested in hunting them as much as having them hang out with me.

Sounds like Hungarian Partridge of my area. I am to young to have experienced them but it sounds like a similar situation as the Bobwhite. I'll see a covey of 8 or more every few years along a crushed rock road in my neck of the woods. Wish there was more. They are about as common as the habitat the flourish in.

I love my quail too. Always flushed them as a kid then bam, they were gone. Pretty good population on my place these days.