Bo’s Hideway. Central Va

I’ve been running a Stihl 036 pro for years, which is bigger than what I really need most of the time. So I’ve been keeping an eye on Facebook marketplace for a smaller saw for the little things. I saw a guy local had a Stihl MS210 for sale on marketplace for 140$. He didn’t know if it ran or not. I met him today and looked it over. I told him the most I was willing to risk on a saw I didn’t know ran was 50$. He said alright and took the money. I have a tune up kit coming but after dumping the gas out of it and replacing it with tru fuel and pulling on it and adjusting the carb I got it started in about 10 min. It will still get the tune up kit but not a bad find for 50$.
IMG_8869.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca69cdad0dbdb3bb6767a5598d915568.jpg

Went and checked some things today before going to work for another 12 hour midnight. The winter rye looks like it’s coming up good and green. The clover I frost seeded a few weeks ago in all three areas is starting to pop. Hopefully all three of this varieties do good things! Always good to see some deer on camera too.

Your place looks great! I'm in central VA as well. I love the area in general. We have not had CWD at our place yet, but we are not too far out of a zone. Hope your place is still clean o fit too. I really like the climate in this area for deer management. Summer stress period is a little greater than winter and neither is severe. The two perennial clovers that have performed best for me here are Durana and I'm new to but pretty happy with ALberlasting so far. We are primarily on Nason soil at my place.

Best of luck with your endevours!

Jack

P.S. As for saws, I run an old 028 for bigger projects, but I got a battery powered Dewalt with a 16" bar that I love for small stuff. It is light and I feel very safe with it because the chain stops immediately when I let go of the trigger.

Question for the experts or guys that have been doing this longer than I have. I’m going to try putting the green cover summer release in once the soil gets warm enough. Would you disc what I have in the picture above or just broadcast into the rye and brassicas?

Well I’m back on another 3-11 week which means it’s time to get some stuff knocked out that needs to be done on the land. This morning was plenty productive, I’ve been waiting for some tree tubes for about 3 months and they finally came in. I swapped out some of the old reused tubes with these fresh new tubes that are vented, the old ones were not.

I also picked up some thornless blackberries and two blueberry bushes two nights ago at TSC. They are the Degroot brand and unsure of how well they will do. All were showing green growth on pickup and were discounted 40% so why not try them. I also picked up against my better judgement two of their apple trees at the same discount. I got a Golden Delicious and a red Delicious as seen in the pictures. Did I screw up by trying any of these plants?
aa6a75de1a299cbc0ccbf598cd4dbc22.jpg

30d3cef2d940fe8a1b068f6beb97e2c3.jpg

Also I have been reading some of the posts on here if how detrimental tubes can be to fruit trees, so I decided to remove the tubes from three of my
Seedling crabs and just cage them. I used a loose zip tie to keep the tree “straight” with my tube stakes.
45298f35d3353876768980e256a65103.jpg

eb0244ff820e189a01356715c0cfe4c7.jpg

Also built and installed 4 bluebird houses on the front plot. Forgot to take a picture of them but I’m trying to benefit all wildlife and bluebirds are one of my favorite small birds.

Blackberries in their final resting place.
4f936251c7b316b7fdfd703ac8075be1.jpg

1d56019f8e8433cccddf173ea7cd9b4f.jpg

Anything I’m doing wrong or should change? I’m open to all advice!

Last edited:
Well I’m back on another 3-11 week which means it’s time to get some stuff knocked out that needs to be done on the land. This morning was plenty productive, I’ve been waiting for some tree tubes for about 3 months and they finally came in. I swapped out some of the old reused tubes with these fresh new tubes that are vented, the old ones were not.

I also picked up some thornless blackberries and two blueberry bushes two nights ago at TSC. They are the Degroot brand and unsure of how well they will do. All were showing green growth on pickup and were discounted 40% so why not try them. I also picked up against my better judgement two of their apple trees at the same discount. I got a Golden Delicious and a red Delicious as seen in the pictures. Did I screw up by trying any of these plants?
aa6a75de1a299cbc0ccbf598cd4dbc22.jpg

30d3cef2d940fe8a1b068f6beb97e2c3.jpg

Also I have been reading some of the posts on here if how detrimental tubes can be to fruit trees, so I decided to remove the tubes from three of my
Seedling crabs and just cage them. I used a loose zip tie to keep the tree “straight” with my tube stakes.
45298f35d3353876768980e256a65103.jpg

eb0244ff820e189a01356715c0cfe4c7.jpg

Also built and installed 4 bluebird houses on the front plot. Forgot to take a picture of them but I’m trying to benefit all wildlife and bluebirds are one of my favorite small birds.

Blackberries in their final resting place.
4f936251c7b316b7fdfd703ac8075be1.jpg

1d56019f8e8433cccddf173ea7cd9b4f.jpg
I don't think any of it is a screw-up. If you are only talking about a few trees, and you plan to spend time maintaining them, any apple you like will be attractive to deer. There are lots of apple guys on this forum. They can probably give you a list of apples that are more disease resistant. Apples were pretty low on my permaculture list because of the maintenance required for many varieties to produce well compared to some other trees. I did eventually get around to planting apples. I found Arkansas Black and Black TIwig to be two varieties that are pretty disease resistant and grow pretty well in my part of central VA. We have lots of native blackberries on our place so I have not planted any of them.

Best of luck,

Jack
Anything I’m doing wrong or should change? I’m open to all advice!

I don't think any of it is a screw-up. If you are only talking about a few trees, and you plan to spend time maintaining them, any apple you like will be attractive to deer. There are lots of apple guys on this forum. They can probably give you a list of apples that are more disease resistant. Apples were pretty low on my permaculture list because of the maintenance required for many varieties to produce well compared to some other trees. I did eventually get around to planting apples. I found Arkansas Black and Black TIwig to be two varieties that are pretty disease resistant and grow pretty well in my part of central VA. We have lots of native blackberries on our place so I have not planted any of them.

Best of luck,

Jack

I have a lot of native blackberries as well here in king William, I planted these In more of an accessible to me location in the front for my personal use.

I have a lot of native blackberries as well here in king William, I planted these In more of an accessible to me location in the front for my personal use.

Nothing wrong with that. We plant turnips for deer most years in the fall and pick them and eat them all year and love them.

Welcome to HT. You have found a great place to share your love of having your own property. I am in Mecklenburg Co, Chase City. If you get down this way stop by for a spell.

Welcome to HT. You have found a great place to share your love of having your own property. I am in Mecklenburg Co, Chase City. If you get down this way stop by for a spell.

Will do, same for you if you are ever around West Point way.

Well I haven’t been getting much work done around the land since the start of turkey season, but the winter rye is growing very well and holding the deer right now. The clover I frost seeded in three different locations is all showing promise. It won’t be long and I’ll have to terminate the winter rye and get the summer blends in.
0b7b933d9ce4828bb052899f3d209f28.jpg

d02869096436366872ab83d72d0445ce.jpg

bb14af237d8c691eba98d71f124d5522.jpg

c42950cbab7391b85d004c74a7704f7d.jpg

I did take an afternoon, and try to open up for more sunlight In an area that used to be a hog lot. I took all the fence and trash out of it last year and planted 7 crabapples in it. This area adjoins the front plot and the crabapples seemed to struggle last year so I eliminated some of the gums and maples that were blocking sunlight as well as cleaned out around the carport for the tractor and boat some. The crabapples are already showing more promise than they did last year with this little bit of improvement.
e2267b46131c20695a15a818c1b81663.jpg

5f2cbe731f472fc052a9c0a56c774d28.jpg

603fda1826422023962cef5243ed00cd.jpg

Coming a long nicely!

Well I had a pile of wood that was becoming an eyesore right to the front of the carport... so I busted out the maul and got all that moved and stacked. Nothing like a little exercise.
0e41addd2765c497851e9252a0f4b0b2.jpg

This area was a mess of briars and dead sticks... I have decided I think I want to get some pavers and maybe have a grill on it right next to the carport. Also thinking of moving the fire pit to this general area so it’s close to the wood pile and out of the food plot.
0b507ec032dcc672a15eaf3159257bfa.jpg

These sawtooths are acorns I stuck in the ground with a piece of rebar last year. They are popping up in most of the “beds” I placed them in. I’m unsure if I will try to move them this coming winter or just leave them there and let them fend for themselves. All of the sawtooth seedling I have planted have really taken off and I think instead of adding more of the same I want to diversify some more with other oak species. I have so far added 5 varieties of hybrid oaks and the sawtooths. If you could pick two or three oaks to plant what would they be and why?
7f6d0227bc1b346a8e4f0d712d5291bb.jpg

4e1e5d3765a087c83ee6e8d32b4d1cb7.jpg

I would think that those oak saplings would rubbed if not tubed or fenced.I tube them under the tree and move second year.

If you could pick two or three oaks to plant what would they be and why?
Diversity is always good! I personally like Swamp White Oak, Bur Oak and Nuttall Oak.
SWO and Bur are white oaks and Nutall are Reds.

You are far enough south to grow Pecans if that is of any interest to you and having Chestnuts adds to further diversify.

Question for the experts or guys that have been doing this longer than I have. I’m going to try putting the green cover summer release in once the soil gets warm enough. Would you disc what I have in the picture above or just broadcast into the rye and brassicas?

I see you didn't get a response on this. How are you planning to terminate your rye?

My preferred method would be to let the rye go all the way till it just starts drying off and then mow it.

How is the forage coming where you took the mulcher through? I've heard that can be tough to get plants going among all that wood duff.

Diversity is always good! I personally like Swamp White Oak, Bur Oak and Nuttall Oak.
SWO and Bur are white oaks and Nutall are Reds.

You are far enough south to grow Pecans if that is of any interest to you and having Chestnuts adds to further diversify.

Do you see deer using the pecans? I love eating pecans myself so that would be an added benefit

I see you didn't get a response on this. How are you planning to terminate your rye?

My preferred method would be to let the rye go all the way till it just starts drying off and then mow it.

How is the forage coming where you took the mulcher through? I've heard that can be tough to get plants going among all that wood duff.

The rye is growing great as well as the clover in the mulched spots. The plan as of now is just what you suggested. Let the clover and rye continue to grow and then mow it and seed my summer blend into the duff. This is the mulched area as of yesterday.
0f3c793ac3998016d7a816c0db895f31.jpg

94db62a9a0b819dc321926bd26279fd6.jpg

01dcc10677d3a3cd4e4c40c0ebb4b303.jpg

Last edited:
93C7F8F9-9464-4651-A2A0-E4FD3FDD815B.jpeg
Do you see deer using the pecans? I love eating pecans myself so that would be an added benefit

My buddy has a couple huge pecans along his woods that are very thinned shelled and the deer and everything else eat them up!
I’ve gout four of them started in my nursery bed that are about two feet tall now and a bag of around forty that I am going to direct seed at our two farms as I shroom hunt.
I’m not sure what variety they are but they grow and thrive up here.