Black hills spruce

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
What is a nursery that y’all would recommend for getting these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also anyone have a source for Norways? Missouri sold out already. Kinda slow ordering this year.
Or has anyone tried the Jap cedars that wildlife group sells?

Cold Stream farm has some good sized bareroots. Never ordered from there, but have seen good feedback on here. Get the biggest ones you can afford.

Coldstream has good prices on bare root 2-3' trees.

Edit: just saw BuckS also noted Coldstream. I did get some Norways from them last year and they were solid, healthy trees. Of the 40 I got, only one didn't survive the summer drought.

I believe Itasca Greenhouse has them as well

I just ordered some from Musser forests. Never ordered from them before though so I cannot give an opinion.

I think Pikes Peak Nursery may have them as well. Never ordered evergreens from them but the SCO and EO where fine. I ordered 6-12 inch

Not sure if it was mentioned, but BHS are a slow growing spruce. About on par with blue spruce.

Ya After more reading I may stick with Norwegians due to being in zone 7.

Just placed an order for 200 spruce with Cold Stream farms. Have been ordering from them for over 10 years, great service & trees.

Just placed an order for 200 spruce with Cold Stream farms. Have been ordering from them for over 10 years, great service & trees.

Thanks for recommendations. I’m gonna go with them.

Just ordered from CS Farm, looking forward to becoming an arborist now too.. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue:

Also anyone have a source for Norways? Missouri sold out already. Kinda slow ordering this year.
Or has anyone tried the Jap cedars that wildlife group sells?

If a guy had 2 cups of norway seeds, he could grow his own.

Just saying.

Attachments

• 20211221_173646.jpg
    20211221_173646.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 32
I also very much like coldstream, very pleased with their norways

Ordered some persimmon, sawtooth and chestnut from them for next year

Just saying.

One of these days maybe I’ll have enough mature trees to do that.

The Iowa State Nursery has Norway Spruce seedlings for sale as well. It looks like 12"-16" is all they have now. $.80/piece. I planted some 2 years ago that were considered 20"-30" I believe and most of them were doing well going into this fall.

Has anyone ordered from Paint Creek Nursery? I just placed an order with them.

Just saying.
I just ordered some Norway and BHS from Schefield Seed to try growing my own. Any good tips for starting spruce from seed?

Just placed and order from ColdStream again. Went in on the order with a co-worker and my neighbor. Wound up with a final cost average of $5.77 per tree for 2-3' norways and BHS after tax and shipping. That's a pretty reasonable price I think.