Best way / crop to add OM to soil?

Bowsnbucks

5 year old buck +
For any of you AG guys who deal with soil issues for your livelihoods, what's the best crop, amendment, or method to add OM to the soil? Plow-down crops? No-till plantings left to decay?

All ideas welcome!!!

I have on spot on a 1/2 acre small hill that is rocky and somewhat sandy. I planted buckwheat year one. Then I've rotated winter rye and radish. It's been 5 years now. The soil is getting noticeably better every year. Soil is darker and looks more like topsoil now. It used to be hard to get the disk through there. It disks up pretty well now.

Well for most of us that have depended on it for our livelihood, we wouldnt be planting on it if it wasnt good soil, just isnt worth the time and effort for all the imputs needed. Manure would be my first choice, plant buckwheat, winter rye, and depending how bad the soil is, just weeds, grass, or anything that grows. Sometimes spreading straw, or hay on it, and some manure, and let it sit a year and repeat will help the most.

Liquid carbon pathway. Leave the pump on. Carbon is a cycle. You’re either accumulating it or burning it. Even when ur accumulating it, you’re burning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One good way is to get a detailed soil test done. Some places have specific deficiencies or imbalances. Advanced testing usually asks what your goals are, and building organic matter is an option.

Regional areas with known issues may have specific tests they looking for.

Disturbing it can be a good way to loosing it too, erosion.

Cover crops not only increase oganic matter, but they're used more to prevent erosion and nutrient loss.

Certain nutrients are held up in plant material while they decay, which can take a few months or even a few years. This is why rotating crops is important.

In areas by me, improving drainage and dealing with compaction / hardpan is one of the lines in the sand between average and more successful farmers. The use of a subsoiler can help alot.

Farmers deal with profit first though. Certain years crops appear to be more valuable than others. Risk has been a factor to some here n NY. Wet springs has wrecked a few corn crops.

One more recent improvement has been the use of chaff spreaders. The unharvested portion of the plant, that is chopped up and spit out of the harvester is called chaff. It used to be dumped out the back. Some combines have a spreader to distribute the leftovers evenly. Folks who use brush hogs on food plots often travel too fast or use not enough pto speed to evenly spread the grass.

Many food plots I have seen over the years usually lack enough southern light. Simple fix with a chainsaw.

What's your goals? Good soil health doesn't always agree with high deer attraction at the time you want it.

Liquid carbon pathway. Leave the pump on. Carbon is a cycle. You’re either accumulating it or burning it. Even when ur accumulating it, you’re burning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you have posted this before but its well worth revisitng

Plenary: Carbonomics-Keith Burns on you tube

excellent primer for all things carbon

bill

All that complicated stuff aside you build soil OM (its a slow process) by growing plants that yield a lot of organic matter - and leaving it in the field. Yield means what's above ground and what's below ground. Plants AND roots. Me, I think root mass is maybe more important that plant mass. Plant mass oxidizes. Root mass not so much. Here are two good reads:

https://extension.psu.edu/managing-soils

Seems like native grasses could build a lot of organic matter under the soil with their root system. Intermix it with desirable forage if you want food in it.

Here is a diagram that shows root structure of prairie plants & grasses. Roots on switch grass will get 8'-12' deep. This is why the upper midwest lands have some of the best soils in the world. Thousands of years of grasses adding OM to top and deep into the soil.

Roots.jpg

For any of you AG guys who deal with soil issues for your livelihoods, what's the best crop, amendment, or method to add OM to the soil? Plow-down crops? No-till plantings left to decay?

All ideas welcome!!!

I'm no professional ag guy, but here is what I've learned.

First, when you till, you introduce O2 into the soil that causes OM to be consumed at a much higher rate. The deeper and more frequently you till the worse the problem. Soils that are highly fertile can tolerate this kind of tillage abuse and still be productive. The more marginal soil you have, (very sandy, or very heavy clay) the more impact low OM has. I'm not talking about very light disking or tillage that just breaks the surface and does not go more than an inch or two deep. I'm talking about aggressive disking or, worse yet, a bottom plow where you turn the soil over.

The first rule is "Don't ruin the OM you already have".

Creating OM is what happens when you compost. If you look into composting, you will find you want the right balance of Carbon and Nitrogen (Greens and Browns in composting language). The same holds true for creating OM in a food plot. The good news is that the crops we use to build OM are great crops to support deer.

You want to mix crops through smart mixes and/or rotation. To get carbon, you want to pick crops from the Grass group. (Grass as I'm using it here is a broad term to include small grains and such). This provides the Carbon component. The Legume group provides the N component. I love WR for the carbon, but you can use sorghum, corn, or other high carbon crops. WR is very effective for me because it performs well in poor soil. There are lots of legumes to choose from. When you terminate the crop, it decomposes and returns the nutrients. You add OM from the top down. At the same time, a lot of the biomass is below the soil. The roots help add OM deeper into the soil without tillage.

There are other crops we can add to help with OM as well. Buckwheat is a scavenger that grows well in low fertility soil. It is a nutrient scavenger. It breaks down more quickly and releases it nutrients for the next crop. Buckwheat is sometimes called green manure. Another crops I like is Daikon Radish. It is sometimes called "Organic Tillage". Deer love it, and if I plant it early, I get large tuber deep into the soil decomposing at deeper levels.

Thanks,

Jack

All ideas welcome!!!

It might depend a bit on your soil. The best crops for sandy soil might not be the best for heavier clay, and so forth. On my heavier clay sites I've decided on a mix of tillage radish, crimson clover, dwarf Essex rape, chicory, and oats. I may throw a few other things into the mix in small doses before I end up sowing it. But I think this mix gives me a good variety of root structures as well as C and N contribution to the soil, with a relatively blank slate for next year. Meanwhile, it should fill its role as an actual food plot.

Forgot to mention, I will have a rye plot about 100 yards away.

Last edited:
This is one of my favorite subjects. There are principles, with lots of room for personalization.

#Flax
#Plaintain

I have an area on the farm that’s rather poor soil. I’m probably going to frost seed clovers into that area maybe this winter if I have time. I could also have my pasture tenant start winter feeding hay in that pasture to build organic matter into the soil.

I have an area on the farm that’s rather poor soil. I’m probably going to frost seed clovers into that area maybe this winter if I have time. I could also have my pasture tenant start winter feeding hay in that pasture to build organic matter into the soil.

Make sure he moves it around a lot.

Native vegetation otherwise known as "weeds" are one of the most adapted to preforming such tasks

Good point! Less intensive cropping with greater weed tolerance works well for both deer and soil. (That is not to say that there are no cases where a noxious weed needs to be dealt with).