Basal bark treatment Garlon 4

Brian662

5 year old buck +
Looking to do some buckthorn and prickly ash eradication this winter on one of my properties. Some of it will be stump spray and other stuff will be basal bark style.

This will be a first for me and I have some questions on the basal bark treatment. Do you have to spray all the way around the trunk? How high off the ground? I've read that it works in all weather as long as there isn't snow on the ground, which leads me to believe you've got to spray close to the soil.
Is there a soil residual with tryclopur that would negatively impact me planting a shrub/brush a few months later in the same spot?

Thanks!

I do it all the way around the tree starting at the ground and going to 15 inches up. If there is any exposed roots (i get this with ailanthus trees on hillsides) i spray them too.

I’ll echo going all the way around, but I also adjust how much I spray depending on how large the tree is. If it’s 1” caliper, I might only spray 1’ of trunk and that is probably overkill. If it’s an old buckthorn as thick as my thigh, that thing will get sprayed from the ground to 4’+ up the trunk. I used to just do 12-16” and it did the job on most, but the big ones would pull through sometimes.

I’m not sure about the soil residual question.

I echo the above comments. Not exact, but the bigger the tree the higher up I spray too.

I will say I have applied with as much as 6” snow, I just try to kick the snow away from the base of the tree as I’m spraying.

I was talking to my forester the other day about this, and he sent me this guide. He fixed the table of contents to where you can navigate to the pertinent parts faster.

Attachments

• Chemical_treatment_gtr_nrs96.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
Prickly ash is easy to kill. The stem count is what will drive you crazy. I spray one spot anywhere from waste down with enough volume that it will creep all the way around the trunk. I use Remedy and diesel. Tried 41% gly and water as basil treatment but resprouts below herbicide. Just seeing if could save money and was nothing lost. For my volume of prickly ash I'm trying to come up with info on rigging a backpack blower into fogger for foliar application. Then its on to bush honeysuckle.