Badgerfowl's habitat projects

We got hit a couple times yesterday. Farm logs has us at 1.56" for the day. Volk field says 1.34" so I'm guessing we got a good bit. Needed it as we were dry for a week and I'm hoping my brassicas that were up didn't get toasted during the week. I've got one more thing to plant this weekend and also a bunch of stand stuff to do but that won't happen til next weekend or the one after.

That Farm logs site looks pretty cool I just signed up. That site says 1.08" over by us. Hopefully my plots are going crazy.

I just signed up a month or so ago. It seems pretty accurate so far.

8bd1db1cf6c5055e69b5cee9ba772266.jpg

a22a7e0547a1a4ccedc07618cefb842b.jpg

Little off topic but just got done putting in new flooring in my living room and hallway. Still have to finish trim and transitions but I'll tackle that next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lookin' good badger!

Made a quick trip up to our place yesterday afternoon to put some urea down before the rain today. Looks like we got hit this morning pretty good w/ more chances coming up.

Crabs planted this spring are pushing 6' now. Not sure if they'll put on any more but I'd say it was a successfull growing season even if they're done for the year.

I planted brassicas in stages. The mowed part has small plants emerging. Just planted the unmowed stuff yesterday.

These were planted a week earlier.

Same plot but in thicker WR mat and more shade.

Looks good Jon! Looked like we got some decent weather today too. I am going to hopefully run up this weekend and check things out. Tree's look good!

Thanks Ed!

NW Greening is keeping right up w/ the rest of the 1st leaf trees. Didn't take any of the PS but its over 5' now as well.

Tough to see but the PS is the 2nd tree on the right in the background (don't count the one on the right in the foreground), just poking above the cage. The first tree, unfortunately got hit w/ some gly and looks to be half dead. I'll let it ride it out and see if it makes it but I'm not holding out much hope.

Can see some of the small brassicas up front ready to die. Hopefully the rain saves them.

Nice, that N.G looks great. That was just a little whip when you picked it up right?

It was close to 4', but a whip, yes. I trimmed it back a few inches. All branches are new growth. Insects have left it alone for the most part too.

8bd1db1cf6c5055e69b5cee9ba772266.jpg

a22a7e0547a1a4ccedc07618cefb842b.jpg

Little off topic but just got done putting in new flooring in my living room and hallway. Still have to finish trim and transitions but I'll tackle that next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOT

Hey Badgerfowl, they floor looks great! It is nearly identical to my house at the farm. When I pulled it up I thought heck someone is in the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's engineered hickory. Piece of cake to install. Floating floor. I've never done any flooring before and didn't have any issues. Cutting around door jambs was a pain but that was about it. Got it on sale for $2.50/sq ft. Will do a bedroom with it once it goes on sale again. I really like the shade variance of hickory.

That Farm logs site looks pretty cool I just signed up. That site says 1.08" over by us. Hopefully my plots are going crazy.

Ed ... if you got 1.08" that is great, my rain gauge showed 0.5" just east of you ... hopefully more on the way ...

Farm Logs says we got 1.67" of rain today. Hopefully it's right! That would be fantastic.

0.83" for us. More would be helpful.

Jon, Are you growing any Violi's Hanging Crabs from SLN?

"A large (2 inch) conical crab that hangs on the tree into winter. Very productive. Good flavor; slight astringency."

Jon, Are you growing any Violi's Hanging Crabs from SLN?

"A large (2 inch) conical crab that hangs on the tree into winter. Very productive. Good flavor; slight astringency."

Yes I planted one this spring along with a winter wildlife crab, all-winter hangover, and a trailman from them. They all started out slow but the violi's, trailman, and winter wildlife crab are now pushing 5'. The all-winter hangover hasn't done much growing yet. I'm looking forward to these in about 5-7 years.

367329cc1f0a94db65aed484a0070cd5.jpg

8fe18d68f5bce8f282123e3934d60811.jpg

81d257c9f714d1352469f6a8ca4b8800.jpg

Couple different brassica plots and some clover between the apples. Put a bushel of WR among the brassicas to help fill in the voids and give me some thatch for next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everything looks good Badger !! I believe you'll be very happy with the SLN crabs. They have all done very well for us in northern Pa. We have all of the ones you mentioned.