Badgerfowl's habitat projects

B

badgerfowl

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg My MDC order came this week and I took a break from turkey hunting at noon today and did some planting. Had 50 silky dogwood, 25 ninebark, and 25 wild plum. As usual, the MDC stock was terrific. Very nice roots and good top growth. The pics are of the silky dogwoods. Rain is in the forecast for the next 5 days. Done with trees for the year now.

Be careful, I don't think pine like being planted through black plastic.

The others will be fine. Looks good.

Those are Norway spruce. Not sure if that makes a difference. I want the dogwoods more than the spruce in this spot anyways. I put a few on the edges of the plastic last year to see how they'd do. It's a wet spot so I'm hoping the dogwoods thrive.

No browse protection on the dogwoods, plum, or ninebark?

Next weekend. Only the ninebark were showing signs of breaking bud. Have to buy a roll of fence this week and steal some from my hybrid poplar screen. I'll take my chances til then.

I received mine from MDC this week also..Wasnt real keen on they way they ship thier stock.Wrapped in heavy wax paper and taped with the one end open. UPS did a number on them..

Received mine too. 25 each of Norway Spruce, White Pine, and Elderberry. The white pine were huge. Planning on caging the Elderberry's. The deer in my area will browse Blue Spruce, should I cage the Norway? I was hoping not to...

Thanks..;)

I received mine from MDC this week also..Wasnt real keen on they way they ship thier stock.Wrapped in heavy wax paper and taped with the one end open. UPS did a number on them..
Yea I'm not sure why they did that. It's always been in a box before. Mine were in pretty good shape still. Besides that, everything else was good. Roots were nice and moist. Huge root systems. Hopefully we didn't trim too much back.

Received mine too. 25 each of Norway Spruce, White Pine, and Elderberry. The white pine were huge. Planning on caging the Elderberry's. The deer in my area will browse Blue Spruce, should I cage the Norway? I was hoping not to...

Thanks..;)
I haven't protected any conifers but they don't seem to browse any at our place. We have very few deer during the winter.

I haven't protected any conifers but they don't seem to browse any at our place. We have very few deer during the winter.
Seems like we have had more browse the last two years - this last winter was tough. I might just try a deer away spray!

Thanks..;)
I've got White,Norway and Black planted I've yet to see any browse on them.

Last year I planted over 1000 Norway spruce and about 100 white pine. Every white pine got browsed, didn't find a Norway that did.

Looks good Jon! rain is coming our way.

I turkey hunted til noon today. It rained a couple hours today so far. Rain for the next few days at least. We are pretty wet at our place right now. Water is already flowing into ours from the river. This week should put it over the edge. 30 hours last few days and no turkey sightings. They are just across the road where it's dry. Pretty typical.

I'm just going to continue my land tour in this thread. I'll dump all of my tree/plots/apple pics here in one place. Unless someone objects! :)

Here's a pic of some white clover planted last August around my apples. Will finish the area this coming August.

I'm just going to continue my land tour in this thread. I'll dump all of my tree/plots/apple pics here in one place. Unless someone objects! :)

Absolutely not, who would object to that!!!! Check out the thread tools in the upper right hand corner above your first post in this thread. You can edit the title to reflect that it is now your landtour. Thanks, can't wait to see more!!

Ok thanks! Still figuring the site out. That's nice that you can edit the thread title. One thing I don't like about the other site. My title is a bit outdated over there. :)

Yea this new site is pretty cool isn't it! Haven't been "over there" much at all lately and I don't think I've posted since receiving the beat in over here :D

Keep the pictures coming!

image.jpg image.jpg Here's a couple pics of our slough where we duck hunt. The low water pic is from the blind on the opener last fall. About as low as it gets. The other one was from Saturday. I was standing next to the blind. The water was bank full and actually overflowing into our place just 50 yards to the east. This was before the latest 2-3 inches we are currently getting. No wonder I never saw a turkey in 30 hours of hunting this past weekend. :)