Badgerfowl's habitat projects

Gotta love the Lemonweir!

Yup! On Friday it was draining out of our place. On Sunday it was draining back in. Still not as bad as last years flooding....yet.

When I was a kid a bunch of the old timer's would take boats upriver from New Lisbon and cut all the overhanging trees that were blocking the way upriver. I helped them for about 4 years, until enough of them quit doing it that we just gave up on it. You could take boats way up past your place, just as long as the water was high enough to float your rig. I'm not sure how passable those upper areas are anymore, I haven't been on the river for years.

Yea I've never been on the main channel. I know some guys that duck hunt by going up from new Lisbon. I just don't know how far they go up river. I'm guessing you could float from the pink bridge all the way to new Lisbon if you knew where you were going. Lots of places to get turned around I'm sure.

Dang!

Yea, that's just bank full. I'll probably need my waders this weekend just to get into our field. I'm hoping to get my apple trees fertilized, fence around my new plantings and work on my in-woods clover plot. The only dry places down there most likely. :)

7" of rain in April. I'll take it :D

We'll have 8"+ by the end of tomorrow by us. Less than 2" in march. It can stop any time now. I hope all my conifers survive another round of flooding.

8.8" in April thru yesterday.

I'd be fine with 8" a month through August so I can grow some giant turnips :D. While I would have a few puddles in the low spots of our roads you'd be under water :eek:

You are not actually on the Yellow are you bueller?

You are not actually on the Yellow are you bueller?
Nope, north of 21 between the yellow and the flowage. Far enough away from the yellow that we stay high and dry.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Was able to clear another small part of my little clover plot. Spread some clover and a little leftover winter rye from last year. Clover is a mix of marathon red, Alice white, Kopu II, and jumbo ladino.

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

Clover planted august 2013.

image.jpg
image.jpg Here is my 2nd leaf Dolgo. First flower of the year.

image.jpg

Here is a 4th leaf Liberty. Should have more than two apples this year.

image.jpg

Clover planted 5/10/14

That last pic just showed me how much better your soil is than what we had at our old place badger. The only place we had soil that dark was in the bottoms of the oxbow ponds down in the creek bottom. Ours was truly "beach sand" compared to what you have. I sure don't miss plotting on that stuff.

That's in the woods. Even in our field we have about 10-12" of good soil. Then it's all sand underneath. Our entire woods is considered a wetland by NRCS/DNR.

Looks good!

Hudson's Golden Gem has some nice crotch angles w/ no training so far.

Cortland is loaded with blooms this year.

Don't remember which one this was taken of....

This is a 2nd leaf Enterprise that I moved this spring away from the field edge. It's out in the open now.