Badgerfowl's habitat projects

Went for a deer ride Friday night around Lake Redstone. Can't get over the difference in quality of deer around that area compared to our hunting ground. Saw what was probably one of the oldest bucks I've ever seen. He was with another couple smaller deer, still in their light brown summer coats. This guy was already gray. Coke can bases, with a unique, very high but not very wide rack. His younger buddy had a similar shaped rack. Wish I would have had the camera with.

That's the difference in how much better that ridge and valley ag soil is than the stuff in and around the sand box area where your place is, and you're actually lucky being you have that bottomland soil. You have some pretty good dirt compared to most in that area and it still doesnt compare because there is just too much surrounding sand.

Nice looking floor. Plots & trees are coming along great!

Thanks! Just got another 1.4" overnight. We're actually starting to get too much now as our woods are flooded again. Just wondering when we're going to pay for this with a prolonged drought. Probably next summer.

Thanks! Just got another 1.4" overnight. We're actually starting to get too much now as our woods are flooded again. Just wondering when we're going to pay for this with a prolonged drought. Probably next summer.

Yeah we saw reports of 1.35 and 1.44. Not bad, I can't complain! There is no such thing as flooding on our land, sometimes i wish there were a few more places that held water. I do love some of the data that farmlogs site uses and I don't even really use it for much other than rainfall estimates. It says we are 26.1% wetter than average. It's been great all summer seems like we get an inch of rain per week or more!

Yeah we saw reports of 1.35 and 1.44. Not bad, I can't complain! There is no such thing as flooding on our land, sometimes i wish there were a few more places that held water. I do love some of the data that farmlogs site uses and I don't even really use it for much other than rainfall estimates. It says we are 26.1% wetter than average. It's been great all summer seems like we get an inch of rain per week or more!

Yup, the last time that happened the corn came off the earliest I can remember. I'm hoping thats the case this fall as well because we have beans right next to us and the deer will be in the corn, especially w/ little to no acorns that I've seen.

It isn't much, but this is the best buck on camera so far this year. Gets me a little excited for the season to start. Only had yearlings around until this one.

Hoping this guy and his 3 friends stick around another month.

Fawns look very well fed.

That buck looks solid Badger!

That buck looks solid Badger!

He's not like the giants over in your area, but for ours it's not bad. I'm guessing 3.5.

Buck looks good and fawns are healthy. Good situation, Badger !! I'm sure there's more around your place, too.

I had 3-4 different little ones on this last camera pull on my clover plot in the woods. Nothing I care to shoot but ones for the future at least. If the BID crowd doesn't get them.

Badger, what might I have going on? I see a picture of a turkey in the post above the doe and fawns?????

Badger, what might I have going on? I see a picture of a turkey in the post above the doe and fawns?????

We've had 4 toms/Jakes show up regularly morning and night. I'm thinking they are roosting somewhere near by. I just didn't post one with all four in it. This one showed the longest beard the best.

We've had 4 toms/Jakes show up regularly morning and night. I'm thinking they are roosting somewhere near by. I just didn't post one with all four in it. This one showed the longest beard the best.
You going to go after them with a bow or shotgun?

OOOkay, I just spotted the buck in the night pictures. Missed him before. My bad. Good Luck with him if you choose.

You going to go after them with a bow or shotgun?

Whatever is in my hand at the time. :) I'll set our ground blind up on our field. If they're still around september 17, I'd sit in there with the shotgun and bow. I've come close to getting them w/ the bow from the stand. Took the tail feathers off one a few years ago. Missed a couple others. It's not easy trying to get a shot off w/ the bow out of an open stand. I've killed a couple fall gobblers years ago and a couple hens. I have better luck in the fall.

b23e1466486cff1dcfdbaa36e3e8df58.jpg

8dddee87b5aae776c095493d53ef7d4e.jpg

843c2821eba660236181b65daaa28b0e.jpg

Clover, winter rye, and brassicas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk