ATVs and Side by Sides

West Branch

5 year old buck +
I have been looking at ATVs and side by sides the last couple years and will probably make a purchase this spring. I have recently settled on the idea of a 2015 Polaris Ranger 570 Mid-size. They are 2 inches narrower and 6 inches shorter than the full size model, which would be nice in the woods. It looks like they also fit in a regular size pickup box, I think the bank tries would likely sit on the tailgate. We plan on leaving it up on the farm, but we may want to haul it to some nearby state forest ATV trails for a day trip sometime. Prices seem very reasonable for a brand new machine, one you get up to a 700cc+ they seem to increase fast.

The main uses would be hauling stuff around for planting trees, putting up stands, checking trail cameras, spraying food plots, etc. I have access to various tractors for food plot work, so I won't be using any ATV type equipment, other than the small boom sprayer.

A regular ATV would likely work fine for what I need, but the main reason for going up to a side by side is my wife. She likes to ride along and said if we are buying it has to be a side by side!

What do others have and what are your thoughts?

Happy wife, happy life. Sounds like the decision is already made to me :)

I agree with a smaller sized UTV. I owned two ATV's previous to giving one to my grandson. We still use our ATV allot....and I'm not sure that for "work" the ATV isn't the better choice.

I do like having one of each now....but if I could pick only one.....I may go with a good ATV.

I bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4. The bed converts to seating to hold up to 4 peeps. Pretty nice for land tours and going on trials with kids.....ect. They sell for about 10k and are good machines. Lots of accessories for an UTV that you may not consider when buying an ATV. Kinda a money-pit IMO. ;)

I am looking too but mainly to get my kids more into wanting to come out and enjoy the land. I don't really understand the big side by sides, they are expensive and what can I do with it that I cant with the pickup. You made a good point about small enough to sit in the back of the pickup, then you wouldnt have to buy a trailer as well. I don't even really want the full size atv, I want something small that can go places the pickup cant. Plus if it gets stuck it would be easy to get unstuck.

Good choice on the UTV. Sure they can't go as many places as a regular ATV but they are way more capable and family friendly.

Capable

2012-04-14%2016.07.58_zpsc37nlcj0.jpg

The kids would be stuck at the cabin if I just had a ATV. Instead they get to come along.

IMG_0943_zpsnoq4drll.jpg

I agree with a smaller sized UTV. I owned two ATV's previous to giving one to my grandson. We still use our ATV allot....and I'm not sure that for "work" the ATV isn't the better choice.

I do like having one of each now....but if I could pick only one.....I may go with a good ATV.

I bought a Honda Pioneer 700-4. The bed converts to seating to hold up to 4 peeps. Pretty nice for land tours and going on trials with kids.....ect. They sell for about 10k and are good machines. Lots of accessories for an UTV that you may not consider when buying an ATV. Kinda a money-pit IMO. ;)

I was looking at yours when we were there, and while it was very nice my first thought was that it is too big for what I want. I was already thinking about windshield, roof, etc. Looks very easy to spend some extra funds on these things. I looked at the Honda Pioneer 500s, and they seemed a bit more of a recreational than utility type.

I am looking too but mainly to get my kids more into wanting to come out and enjoy the land. I don't really understand the big side by sides, they are expensive and what can I do with it that I cant with the pickup. You made a good point about small enough to sit in the back of the pickup, then you wouldnt have to buy a trailer as well. I don't even really want the full size atv, I want something small that can go places the pickup cant. Plus if it gets stuck it would be easy to get unstuck.

Pretty similar to my thoughts! That's why I kept going back to the ranger 570 midsize. The Ranger ETX is also an option. Same size body as the 570 midsize but smaller engine at 31 hp (might be a 400cc?) vs. 44 hp for the 570. They only list the MSRPs for these machines, have to make some calls for the prices. I think I will be calling 4 dealerships to see what they say for prices.

I have been shopping for years myself and I always come back to the 570EFI ranger! I think thats the best bang for your buck. My buddy has one they are plenty fast and powerful! EFI is the only way to go. Check out the prices on them at a place called abernathys in Arkansas. I know you wont buy there but it gives you a good idea of what they can be bought for. Best prices I have ever seen. Many drive a long ways to buy bikes there

I was looking at yours when we were there, and while it was very nice my first thought was that it is too big for what I want. I was already thinking about windshield, roof, etc. Looks very easy to spend some extra funds on these things. I looked at the Honda Pioneer 500s, and they seemed a bit more of a recreational than utility type.

Yep, I spent quite a bit on accessories for mine. Full roof, canvas doors, glass windshield, wiper, heater, rear curtain, winch and winch plate, and a bit more. They really nick you for those accessories.....and you may be better off with a small Jeep. I like our machine, and the thought was to use it for some trails and ice fishing, etc.....as well as at our land. It is a nice way to get to the fish house. :D

However, things change ......and now I am spending my winters in AZ and we don't seem to find time to go on trail excursions in the summer. Go figure.

Still, it's a good vehicle and I'm glad I own it. Fun to do property tours with friends and family.....and its available to my family for trail rides, etc.

The wife wants a UTV so she take the dogs for rides. Think I'm going to get the Yamaha Viking. I currently use my 500 sportsman for food plotting. I figure it will be easier to pull my disc with the Viking and plus the wife will be happy.;)

I love that viking.

We have a 450 rhino now. Man we have beat the shit out of it.... we could never sell it because it looks like it fell off a cliff. Lollllll

I love that viking.

We have a 450 rhino now. Man we have beat the shit out of it.... we could never sell it because it looks like it fell off a cliff. Lollllll

I really like that the Viking has 3 semi individual seats which is nice for securing the kids. Plus the wife will love giving our two chocolate labs rides. The youngest lab loves riding on the 4 wheeler with her.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ranger EV or the electric SxS/UTV's? I'm just wondering because on only 20 acres, my little ATV can be a big disturbance if I only need to water some trees or check cards. I've got access to a tractor skidsteer and the like through my neighbor, so plotting stuff isn't a huge issue, especially as The property is half a mile down the road from our cottage, so range isn't a huge issue either. I see a lot of raised gold carts, but they still go for over 5-6K, with no winch, no hitch, no bed, just a fold down seat.

I have the Ranger EV. I like it so far. I don't use it for plotting, just transportation and taking down stands and such. I've had an ATV for years and years but, really like the side by side now. Not a luxury vehicle by any means but far and away better for hauling stands, seed and transportation. The EV has the bonus of being extremely quite.

The wife wants a UTV so she take the dogs for rides. Think I'm going to get the Yamaha Viking. I currently use my 500 sportsman for food plotting. I figure it will be easier to pull my disc with the Viking and plus the wife will be happy.;)
Like this?:) My boys prefer the Gator. Only green paint I can afford lol
IMG_1996.JPG

I have been shopping for years myself and I always come back to the 570EFI ranger! I think thats the best bang for your buck. My buddy has one they are plenty fast and powerful! EFI is the only way to go. Check out the prices on them at a place called abernathys in Arkansas. I know you wont buy there but it gives you a good idea of what they can be bought for. Best prices I have ever seen. Many drive a long ways to buy bikes there

I checked their prices and their 570s are about $500 cheaper than the cheapest I found in MN. If a four guys were buying and made the trip with a big trailer it could be worth it. No MN sales tax would probably help quite a bit as well. Talked to a couple places and it will be hard to keep the total under 10k after tax, license, and a few accessories.

Does anyone have any experience with the Ranger EV or the electric SxS/UTV's? I'm just wondering because on only 20 acres, my little ATV can be a big disturbance if I only need to water some trees or check cards. I've got access to a tractor skidsteer and the like through my neighbor, so plotting stuff isn't a huge issue, especially as The property is half a mile down the road from our cottage, so range isn't a huge issue either. I see a lot of raised gold carts, but they still go for over 5-6K, with no winch, no hitch, no bed, just a fold down seat.

I have looked at the EVs but no personal experience. Some reviews from a few years ago sounded like there were some issues in the first couple years of the model, but it sounds like they have improved them quite a bit. From what I have seen Polaris is putting out a good atvs the last 6-7 years so I would think it would be hard to go wrong. The Polaris products of the late 90s to early 2000s seemed like they were a bit behind at times. These days I hear a lot more good things about pretty much all Polaris models.

I'm having a super hard time deciding between a ATV or side by side, I use my atv for all my plotting activities, but with 2 kids I think a side by side would be a better option, anybody plot heavily with their side by side, how do they do

I'm having a super hard time deciding between a ATV or side by side, I use my atv for all my plotting activities, but with 2 kids I think a side by side would be a better option, anybody plot heavily with their side by side, how do they do

What do you want to know? My mule works great.

IMG_4749_zpse3e146b5.jpg

IMG_4734_zpsa5573e9f.jpg

IMG_4752_zpsc3ba20fb.jpg

IMG_4748_zpsa1bf4112.jpg

IMG_4761_zpsb8d3d398.jpg

IMG_5020_zpsaa900dce.jpg

IMG_5016_zps14260233.jpg

I dont really do any plot work with my ATV anymore. The UTV is it. Everything I need goes in the box with me. No issues doing whatever I need to do.
Does everything an ATV does, but the benefit of having everything you need with you.