Backpack Sprayer vs Fogger for herbicide application

gjs4

5 year old buck +
While I have used a few different implement, ATV and back sprayers...I am wondering if anyone has tried a backpack fogger for trail maintenance. Jim Ward is where the idea came from (and it sounds like he mounts his on an ATV and runs a much higher percentage of herbicide than recommended to add even more to it). I am just not sure why this would be better or different....it keeps taking me back to the aerial applications. My personal goal beyond curiosity would be to keep trails open and limit encroachment of the adjacent plants-shrubs-trees.

I have an Invatech that I like. It's not used for trail maintenance, but for insect control on trees. Whatever you do, use good PPE when using one. A quality respirator is a must, as the mist is so fine eventually a wind switch will get you. I wear a good respirator and tyvek disposable suit, gloves, everything!
It does a great job of covering the plants since it also gets the bottom of the leaves.
1703471701699.png

Watching this thread closely. Got an exension wand for my 15 gal sprayer, but M111's and B118's gonna get big in a few years.

Actually, got to do the complete opposite too. Planting fruit trees too close to the food plot now Looking into spray hood options for the food plot. But, Im still on the path on makng an ATV food plot seeder. Will likely combine a sprayer hood with the seeder. Do it all in one 2.5ft pass.

Watching this thread closely. Got an exension wand for my 15 gal sprayer, but M111's and B118's gonna get big in a few years.

Actually, got to do the complete opposite too. Planting fruit trees too close to the food plot now Looking into spray hood options for the food plot. But, Im still on the path on makng an ATV food plot seeder. Will likely combine a sprayer hood with the seeder. Do it all in one 2.5ft pass.
Similar situation, I have about 25 apple trees, started with a pump 4 gallon sprayer and a long wand, took forever and a lot of refills. I now use a Stihl SR430 powered backpack sprayer, kind of heavy once loaded up but makes quick work of spraying, probably can effectively mist to about 18-20 feet

I really want to give this a go for trails....

I’ve done it for spraying a drawn down duck swamp
Definitely gets some coverage!

We had some interns work on this project last summer! Here is what they came up with for a covered herbicide sprayer to prevent overspray on trees and stuff. Always fun to see what they invent in a short period of time.

Attachments

• CycleSmall.jpg
    CycleSmall.jpg
    918.8 KB · Views: 19
^Sweet rig!