What is the Fix For This?

I had an area that was a low spot between my fields and the logging road that travels around the marsh. Over time, travel across this broke down the fibrous soil layer and buried my Mule several times. Once I buried my tractor up to the floor boards, it was a time a change. Had an excavating contractor who was experienced with farms and problem ground. They laid big football size stone on top of a fabric barrier, then worked up various rock & stone size with a final layer of gravel. Was well compacted with a couple of culverts added. It is about 140 yards long. About 5 years old, very stable and no problems with any of atvs or tractor across it.

1709845208646.jpeg

1709845120767.jpeg

1709845839916.png

has anyone had any success stories disking portland cement into the existing roadbed when it dries out
I've seen that done in a construction project. There's a process called FDR (Full Depth Reclamatiom) where they grind up the roadway while mixing in portland cement at around 5% by weight. It works really well in that application. It would dry up and solidify your soil there but I'm just not sure how long it would last. I like the geotextile with the logs over it as an idea in lieu of rock. Especially if you have the lumber available to do it.

I have similar bottomland trails like the pic in swamp cat's post

I waited unti September when trails are parched and like concrete

I then had a fella smooth the trails and cover with rock

This is the first rainy season since repair and "so far, so good"

bill

I have similar bottomland trails like the pic in swamp cat's post

I waited unti September when trails are parched and like concrete

I then had a fella smooth the trails and cover with rock

This is the first rainy season since repair and "so far, so good"

bill
What size rock did you use?

The cheapest solution might be 2 lanes in spots. Have parallel trails in bad spots if possible.

Saving any durable material helps. Using old tarps, shrink wrap, etc. opening up th area to the sun helps. Throwing some winter rye may help grow roots that make the soil more stable.

For the mud puddles that can drain, Dig out the middle and put 2 4x4's or logs in parallel. IT helps maintain a drainage channel and allowing more dirt to build up.

This might provide some insight ot trail ideas.

I feel I wouldn’t be doing my job if I didn’t suggest digging a fish pond and using the spoils to make a road?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stock off road vehicles typically come with very mild tires. Those mild tires are there for a reason, they help the atv not flip in certain situations.

Tire upgrades add significant more traction. Skid pans help you glide over the mud. Factory skid pans don't always cover everywhere. You got to look under the vehicle for obstructions. Guys at camp who have snow plow mount get stuck alot more. as an example.

I had the same issue when I had my property. I did 2 things. First the local township was scraping out the ditches, they were looking for a place to get rid ou what they were digging out. I took 35 dump truck loads. Granted there was lots of crap but it worked great for a base layer. I then topped with crushed sand stone from a local pit.

Most pics are long gone but here's a link to one.

What size rock did you use?
I will ask the fella that did the job

The receipts were for different sizes ranging form 3,6,and 9 inch

he also put in a few culverts, low water crossing in some areas

gitcha' checkbook ready if you go this route

bill

I had the same issue when I had my property. I did 2 things. First the local township was scraping out the ditches, they were looking for a place to get rid ou what they were digging out. I took 35 dump truck loads. Granted there was lots of crap but it worked great for a base layer. I then topped with crushed sand stone from a local pit.
this^^^^^

We enlarged an existing pond to get dirt for base layer

bill