What is the Fix For This?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_0407.jpeg

I have 5000 miles on my Polaris ranger and today was the first time I have ever had to use the winch because I got stuck. I have two trails that access half my property - the other isnt much better. Trails are in worse shape than ever have been in 20 years and really went down hill after five days of freezing weather followed immediately by 5 inches of rain. What is the fix for this? 4”-6” rock is the only thing I know might help this out - and I am not sure the ground wont swallow that. Maybe 200 railroad ties side by side? I cant ride my ranger to about half my property until maybe July

You may want some different tires on the Polaris. The freeze/thaw cycles are pretty rough on these roads! These are Maxxis Mudzillas, and they have some great ratings on trails such as those in your picture.

1709604132358.jpeg

You might have to take some trees out, but I had a skilled dozer operator come in and crown the trails on the bottomland hardwoods place I used to manage. He put in some spots for the water to cross in spots, but it worked great for years.

My property used to be like that half the growing season. Best solution is to try to stay off if you don’t need to go when it’s like that. That’s free.

Otherwise, either the water needs to go down or the land needs to go up, whichever is easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Road is lower than sides. Need to crown it when dry, then add rock if you want. Agree adding rock to that is a waste

85b396beb7ddef4e99a850c928b12e1b.jpg

Sorry that wasn't helpful...
But it would be cool.

Agree on not wasting money on rock. All I can think of is wait till the drought inevitably happens and get a dozer to drop the six way blade and crown it like others have said. The only issue I see is they would likely need to widen the road to get it wide enough to create a high middle

My property used to be like that half the growing season. Best solution is to try to stay off if you don’t need to go when it’s like that. That’s free.

Otherwise, either the water needs to go down or the land needs to go up, whichever is easier.

I dont go there much in the spring - but six months is a long time not to be able to access half your property

I am high centering - not just getting stuck

85b396beb7ddef4e99a850c928b12e1b.jpg

Sorry that wasn't helpful...
But it would be cool.
Yeah - I like it, but I doubt it would make it down my trails - it would hang that fan guard on a tree.

Agree on not wasting money on rock. All I can think of is wait till the drought inevitably happens and get a dozer to drop the six way blade and crown it like others have said. The only issue I see is they would likely need to widen the road to get it wide enough to create a high middle
definitely have to widen the road and take out quite a few trees. I have a good hydraulic 3 way blade for my tractor and the trail is not wide enough to pull dirt from the side. I am thinking maybe geotextile fabric might keep the rock from disappearing - as quickly

You have alot of small diameter trees you can lay down in 8ft long pieces.I switched to swamp witch tires and lots better traction and no flats since switching

You have alot of small diameter trees you can lay down in 8ft long pieces.I switched to swamp witch tires and lots better traction and no flats since switching
I dont need traction - I need height. But I dont want to “need” any of it - I want to go through with no problems. Two years ago ai was driving a pickup truck and 16 ft trailer through here when it was dry

Anytime you get a hard freeze then rain things will be an absolute mess I stay out of off-road situations at pretty much all cost in those conditions because I’m uninterested in rocking miles of trails because I was impatient. In some areas where we feed cattle it can’t be helped and we do rock those areas but at $375 a truckload it gets expensive fast. I use 2-3” for normal travel areas with reasonable natural drainage if it’s in the low area I use that 4-6” ditch liner rock for that area only because it’s pretty rough to even drive over so I use it only where really needed maybe for your situation a dozer to build up the road and cut a ditch maybe the way to go but you will loose some of your trees.

View attachment 62868

I have 5000 miles on my Polaris ranger and today was the first time I have ever had to use the winch because I got stuck. I have two trails that access half my property - the other isnt much better. Trails are in worse shape than ever have been in 20 years and really went down hill after five days of freezing weather followed immediately by 5 inches of rain. What is the fix for this? 4”-6” rock is the only thing I know might help this out - and I am not sure the ground wont swallow that. Maybe 200 railroad ties side by side? I cant ride my ranger to about half my property until maybe July

That's kinda dry looking compared to a couple of my paths that need semi regular access. I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow night or the next dat and some remedies I kinda have.

I don’t know how much you’ve got to do, but throwing some geotextile under the dirt fix could help durability too.

I have dozens of places like this on my swampy fir/spruce plateau. I have been putting down "corduroy" roads for the past 20 years. But I have endless acreage of small diameter trees to do this...all spruce and fir. Works great. My oldest patches of corduroy are a little over 20 years now and still not completely rotten out.

I've filled a couple of similar areas with a "corduroy road" made with cedar slabs I picked up from a guy that was sawing cedar logs. Worked really well and the slabs cost me $20 a pickup load.

Looks like it would take at least 10 loads of pitrun to get yourself a road started. Anything else you could drive that has tracks? Any friends with mud trucks? I would use my tractor if getting back there is a must. Gonna take some filling in eventually.