What is the Fix For This?

Looks like it would take at least 10 loads of pitrun to get yourself a road started. Anything else you could drive that has tracks? Any friends with mud trucks? I would use my tractor if getting back there is a must. Gonna take some filling in eventually.
Tractor would rut the ground and bury up so bad might never get it out. 6000 lbs vs 2000 lbs for the ranger

Corduroy.jpg
You can always do a corduroy road out of timbers like these tamarack logs. They are laid over a geo textile fabric.....and need to be covered with fill.....which I never get around to. This is over a 100 yard span on my land. I currently drive over it with my UTV.....but it's pretty "bumpy" as it is now. I have driven my tractor out a ways......but need that fill to do it again. It's a bit sketchy as it is now.

View attachment 62942
You can always do a corduroy road out of timbers like these tamarack logs. They are laid over a geo textile fabric.....and need to be covered with fill.....which I never get around to. This is over a 100 yard span on my land. I currently drive over it with my UTV.....but it's pretty "bumpy" as it is now. I have driven my tractor out a ways......but need that fill to do it again. It's a bit sketchy as it is now.
I thought about this. I have a ready supply of ash. How long did that take?

Drain tile and option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought about this. I have a ready supply of ash. How long did that take?
I had this done by a logger when I logged my land. Took him a day?....I was not there. He had the right equipment.....and the Tammy logs.

I built corduroy road on my property using hardwood slabs from a sawmill (they were free), and then rented a mini ex to bring material from the sides of the road to cover the slabwood. It turned out great. About a 150 yard stretch. A lot of manual labor laying the slabs out but a little exercise won’t kill a guy. Here are some pics:
IMG_2353.jpeg
During the digging:

IMG_2971.jpeg
IMG_2967.jpeg
IMG_2969.jpeg
A year later after green up
IMG_4003.jpeg

I built corduroy road on my property using hardwood slabs from a sawmill (they were free), and then rented a mini ex to bring material from the sides of the road to cover the slabwood. It turned out great. About a 150 yard stretch. A lot of manual labor laying the slabs out but a little exercise won’t kill a guy. Here are some pics:
View attachment 62952
During the digging:

View attachment 62953
View attachment 62954
View attachment 62955
View attachment 62956

Do your side ditches drain to anything?

My really wet area, like that, has a drainage path at one end.

Do you think that if that those ditches could drain you would need the wood? Or just some geotextile?

I'm also planning on removing some side trees and doing some hinge cutting to get more light in and transplanting some of my willow into the ditch areas to help it dry out.

View attachment 62952
During the digging:

View attachment 62953
View attachment 62954
View attachment 62955
View attachment 62956
That's exactly what our bottomland trails looked like after the dozer crowned them. Minus the trees underneath.

That's exactly what our bottomland trails looked like after the dozer crowned them. Minus the trees underneath.

Did you use the geotextil cloth in there?

Did you use the geotextil cloth in there?
No. They were just crowned about a foot or so above the surrounding and ditched like that on the sides. We had to touch up places every other year or so to fix places water would come across. But. Some years, these places would be 12 foot underwater for a couple months at a time.

Foggy

Is your corduroy across almost a bog/marsh area?

The only need for the wood was to walk the mini excavator on while working. It was very dry when I did the work, but still soft enough that I would have had trouble with that mini if I didn’t have to wood to walk it on. I tried doing it a year prior without the corduroy and about got stuck and had to quit.

The ditches do drain into a lower area, but very gradual as there is hardly any slope to it.

No. They were just crowned about a foot or so above the surrounding and ditched like that on the sides. We had to touch up places every other year or so to fix places water would come across. But. Some years, these places would be 12 foot underwater for a couple months at a time.

That sounds like my place, not the 12 deep', if you're actually talking deep underwater. My drainage property has water get 30-40'wide 3-4' deep every year. Not depth just wide wet ground.

has anyone had any success stories disking portland cement into the existing roadbed when it dries out

View attachment 62952
During the digging:

View attachment 62953
View attachment 62954
View attachment 62955
View attachment 62956
This will work the best and is most cost effective. I built this same type of road to cross swamp/standing water to get to the back of my property. I also had to put in a culvert as well. I picked up bundles of slab/waste wood from a local saw mill for cheap and then buried it under dirt when the dozer put my roads in. It’s been flawless.

has anyone had any success stories disking portland cement into the existing roadbed when it dries out
That sounds cost prohibitive to me. I guess one could always try it in small sections that are the worst and see if it does anything.

This will work the best and is most cost effective. I built this same type of road to cross swamp/standing water to get to the back of my property. I also had to put in a culvert as well. I picked up bundles of slab/waste wood from a local saw mill for cheap and then buried it under dirt when the dozer put my roads in. It’s been flawless.
Not that I really mind, but a lot of trees going to have to be removed to do any dirt work

Not that I really mind, but a lot of trees going to have to be removed to do any dirt work
My land is only a few feet above the water table. One thing I never considered prior to logging......was that those trees were consuming allot of water. After logging off a substantial part of my land.....the water table was higher for a couple of years.....until the regen trees and brush came back. Had considerable flooding in some areas as compared to other years.

My uncles place in N Wis has a small pond surrounded by bog/marsh area that will not grow a tree for a couple hundred feet around the pond we have trails around that area and have no reason cross it but your photo very much reminds me of it.

Attachments

• IMG_1054.jpeg
    IMG_1054.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19