Armadillo Cabins?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I had kicked around the idea of using a shipping container as a quick and theft resistant cabin option. I was thumbing through my Outdoor News this morning and saw this.

http://www.armadillocabins.com/

They recess the entry door so you can use the container doors for security. Genius!

There's a place in Minneapolis somewhere that'll get you the container and do the metal work and delivery for a lot less as well. I just thought that design was interesting.

http://www.aacontainersales.net/

I know a guy in the Nisswa / Merrifield area that sells and delivers containers to your site (within 75 miles or so). Not sure on prices....but he evidently sells quite a few. Let me know if you need a name.

Myself.....I think a park model traier makes more sense. Got all the appliances and furniture, fixtures, and heating, plumbing and such. But I may not have the security issues some have.

I know a guy in the Nisswa / Merrifield area that sells and delivers containers to your site (within 75 miles or so). Not sure on prices....but he evidently sells quite a few. Let me know if you need a name.
Would he deliver further if so at what cost?

$13,500 and up? Ouch!

You can buy them delivered to your place for $1,500 and do the fixing up yourself one would think. Cool Idea, as they should be as vandal proof as all get out!

Where are you finding $1500 delivered containers?

Kinda neat especially if you have problems with hoodlums! You can buy allot of material for that price an have somthing much larger. Can't beat a pole builing for cost per sq ft. I may look into one of these containers for a storm shelter/dooms day shit hits the fan buncker;)
Tks for posting

I saw a TV show once that some fellas put several together and lived off the grid all based on metal shipping containers like that. Anything is possible with time and money!

I've been watching CL. Best price I've seen to date has been 2K for a ratty 20' container.

Prices have come down since the steel prices dropped, but these aren't advertised cheap in the metro. Maybe it's different up North.

Duluth's still 125 miles from me. I got a delivery quote from on of the Mpls dealers of $500. (110 miles) and I don't know if they thought I was stupid, or if flatbed rates have gone up that much since I was in the truck towing industry - we only paid $3/loaded mile for a class A wrecker (which will pull a loaded semi).

If I could get one for $1500 delivered - I'd do it right now. Credit card in hand, or cash.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the guy I met......but I think this is the website (there are so many listings for storage containers). Email them to get a price.

http://www.storageboxesetc.com/index.html

I emailed the place Foggy posted. We'll see what comes of it.

I'm not in a hurry, but it'd sure be nice to have. I need the secure storage - critter and vermin resistant.

Duluth's still 125 miles from me. I got a delivery quote from on of the Mpls dealers of $500. (110 miles) and I don't know if they thought I was stupid, or if flatbed rates have gone up that much since I was in the truck towing industry - we only paid $3/loaded mile for a class A wrecker (which will pull a loaded semi).

If I could get one for $1500 delivered - I'd do it right now. Credit card in hand, or cash.

Hell yes I want 2! I meant to call some places I found in STL yest but never got around too it

The Brainerd place emailed back - $1700 to $3600 for 20's I'm assuming FOB.

His lot is about 10 miles North of town, and he's not there other than by appointment. Sat view shows he's got about 15-20 (which isn't current), so if he's sitting on inventory a guy might make out rolling in with green stuff in say, Feb. :)

Anyone leaning towards the higher end/lesser used containers? I've done a bit of reading and youtubing on them. The newest ones are coated in marine grade paint to withstand the elements of the life at sea. For whatever bottle necks there are in the global shipping business, there are single-trip containers out there. Personally I'd opt for a brand new one if it meant it'd last an extra 10-20 years. I am no fan of acquiring new maintenance projects at the hunting camp. Time up "nort" is pretty precious for me.

Read up on the Cor-ten steel these are made of sometime. It's designed to rust and then stop rusting. The containers that get retired are usually dented up good and pose a logistics or structural problem making a boat trip again. If you can't flush stack it next to another unit, that creates a problem on the deck.

My area they vary from 1800 for a beat up unit and 3000 for a single use unit both 20 footers. Any reason why a semi trailer wouldn't do the same thing? An old trailer would be wider and taller but not as strong IMO.

And not rodent proof or as difficult to break into.

A friend got one of the 40' units to store farm equipment in. He paid $1500 but he lives just outside Savanna, GA. They have a few of them around there seeing as how it's a major port.

Last edited:
He must have the smallest tractor ever made. :p

40" wouldn't fit my lawn mower. :D